LA Galaxy Flavored USMNT in 2019

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by Berks, Jan 24, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GalaxyOne

GalaxyOne Member+

Dec 6, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Today's players may be better than 20 years ago in an absolute sense, but I would say they have regressed compared with most other nation's players in that timeframe (i.e. the rest of the world has gotten better at a faster pace). I don't have any simple answers either. As others have said, soccer is just not as embedded in our culture and this affects kids' development from an early age.

2. GalaxyOne

GalaxyOne Member+

Dec 6, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, there was also a reason Bradley was fired. And you're saying the team hasn't been able to recover (even a little) in 2 years, post JK? Come on! They actually played like warriors during the 2014 WC, BTW.

3. barroldinho

barroldinho Member+

Man Utd and LA Galaxy
    England
    Aug 13, 2007
    US/UK dual citizen in HB, CA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Whatever reason Bradley was fired, you can't accuse his USMNT of not playing with fight, which is what we're discussing.

Look, I get it. The overall opinion here is that Klinsmann sucked and per your MO, you're looking to introduce some balance.

Personally, I was unimpressed with his World Cup. Given post-tournament hopes, I think it was "job done" but little more than that. The "group of death" billing presumed Portugal would live up to expectations, which they infamously didn't. To this day, JK's defenders still act like getting out of that group was an heroic achievement; an assessment which doesn't pass the eyeball test.

It's been 2 years of flux. Berhalter has been coach since December. The USMNT's grit and determination isn't some innate norm that absent Klinsmann's influence we'll steadily revert back to. The guy's whole shtick was that the US needed a different mentality and aggressively fed the narrative that there was little of value about the prior approach.

It's not all about him though, clearly. The USSF took forever to fill the role, apparently trying to give an impression of putting serious diligence into this, then they hired Greg Berhalter seemingly considering few other candidates. They seemed to treat the head coach search like the 5th grade science project they'd put off until the night before it was due.

The Cadaver and Ghosting repped this.
  4. GalaxyOne

GalaxyOne Member+

Dec 6, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Portugal infamously underachieved? Huh? You mean because it was the group of death and the US edged them out? I guess you could say they underachieved, or perhaps on the other hand, give some kudos to the US team for outlasting two very dangerous opponents. Also for coming incredibly close to reaching the quarterfinals.

And JK's shtick for a different mentality is EXACTLY what this current squad is missing!! Berhalter praising the team for their promising style of play, when they lose 3-0 to Mexico and now to 2-0 to Canada is going to get old really fast.

And sorry, it really shouldn't take 2 years to recover the team's mentality.

5. barroldinho

barroldinho Member+

Man Utd and LA Galaxy
    England
    Aug 13, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    You're literally the only person I've discussed that World Cup with that doesn't hold that opinion. They were shite and were lucky not to be eliminated in the second game.

The US were outplayed by Ghana and lucky not to be hammered by Belgium in normal time. The Portugal game was the only good display. Against Germany, they looked ambivalent.

The gritty, do-or-die mentality wasn't missing when he took the job, which is what you were suggesting and it was that mentality he was trying to get away from. He prattled on about killer-instincts and getting "nasty". He talked about progressive playing styles, much like GB is alluding to at the moment.

I'm not sure why you're trying to convince me that GB isn't doing a great job. Does it seem like I'm defending him?
    Recover?

Again: we're not just going to regain a do-or-die culture by default.

You've got a fractured soccer culture in this country right now. Just look at the support: the USSF's ridiculous ticket gouging leaves stadiums with swathes of empty seats, while on social media, the federation can't even tweet a "Happy Birthday" to Gyasi Zardes without hordes of outraged morons piling on the guy.

I'm not shocked that we're not seeing the same fire that the likes of Donovan, Dempsey and Reyna brought.

StillKickin, 73Bruin, Ghosting and 2 others repped this.
  6. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

7. cleschke

cleschke Member+

Aug 16, 2004
    Fullerton, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chandler has always had issues with flying, though some people too pointed to a lack of interest and Johnson was already disinterested and openly saying the past qualifying cycle was his last early into it. I recall even Klinnsman calling Johnson out for the effort he was putting in around the time of that Confed Cup playoff with Mexico.

It is sad to me though because both are pretty solid upgrades to some of the guys we're putting out there now.

Skevin and Ghosting repped this.
  8. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Ah man I guess Fabian Johnson saw my message because he came and said he wants back in for the national team. He said spoke with Gregg and told him he wants to come back into the fold.

So I fully expect to see Johnson left at home for Finlay

Dr.Phil repped this.
  9. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    No idea why, but Dest chose to play for USA. I am really happy about that.

10. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I watched the U-17's get whomped by Senegal in the WC yesterday. Not pretty. Same old US problems - tactically naive, don't know how to shield the ball, poor decision making. But then add in mentally soft. Little fight in this game, no one wanted to take responsibility. Just pass it to the next guy and hope he'll do something. We used to dominate the younger age groups - are we really regressing? :(

TrickHog repped this.
  11. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Finally a teeny bit of good news.

12. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    And the U-17’s lose 4-0 to Netherlands. I watched last 30 minutes and it was sad — US seldom had possession and were pinned back almost the whole time. We come in last in our group with 1pt and a -7gd.
    Dutch were fun to watch though.

TOAzer and TrickHog repped this.
  13. Vindo310

Vindo310 Member+

Mar 19, 2009
    South Bay LA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is it? I just feel bad for the guy. Unfortunately our federation is garbage and it doesn’t look like it’s going to get better.

Greg will always be a G but man this isn’t good. I never thought I would miss Bob Bradley but I miss that team.

14. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Words I live by:
    "Your team is never as bad as you think it is after a loss and your team is never as good as you think it is as after a win."

15. barroldinho

barroldinho Member+

Man Utd and LA Galaxy
    England
    Aug 13, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I would like to counter these words with some of my own:
    "This weekend, I watched Manchester United away to Bournemouth."

Ghosting repped this.
  16. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Well then you really, really need my adage to be valid. You are screwed if it isn't.

barroldinho and Ghosting repped this.
  17. Beirut

Beirut Member+

Feb 3, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Anybody watch? We beat Canada! USA! USA! USA!

Ghosting, 73Bruin, Berks and 1 other person repped this.
  18. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I would have watched but I forgot it was on. Great scoreline and yay Zardes! But I do have a question for anyone who did watch - but how did we end up with only 36% possession in a home game vs Canada?? I don't remember the US ever having that little possession on US soil unless it was when we played Brazil a few decades ago.

73Bruin repped this.
  19. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have to assume we're ceding? This version Canada likes to hold the ball I guess.

I did want to see this one. I'm bummed I missed it.

20. Geneva

Geneva LA for Life

Feb 5, 2003
    Southern Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I forgot and missed it, too.

TrickHog repped this.
  21. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Me as well.

22. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I think this says something about the state of the current US team. It's a pretty pedestrian group with the exception of Pulisic and maybe Morris.

Ghosting, Geneva, TrickHog and 1 other person repped this.
  23. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I watched. Played to our strengths in transition and gave up possession. It worked.

Lletget was great and yay Gyasi! In all seriousness, Sebastian had inventiveness we haven’t seen in awhile. He made his time count while Pulisic is injured.

Ghosting, ShortyMac, 73Bruin and 8 others repped this.
  24. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I'm glad you are around Berks to keep my (our) flagging hopes up!

Berks, Ghosting, 73Bruin and 1 other person repped this.
  25. barroldinho

barroldinho Member+

Man Utd and LA Galaxy
    England
    Aug 13, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    All I know is that much of the twitter fan base were absolutely livid about this.

This is the latest in the ongoing series "USMNT Fans: Livid about...". Other episodes include "Livid about Berhalter Putting Possession Over Results", "Livid About Bob Bradley Selecting Michael Bradley", "Livid About Landon Donovan Not Going To Europe", "Livid About Not Winning a World Cup Already" and "Livid About Parting Ways With Tactical Genius and Motivational Guru, That Totally Did the Best He Could With the Talent At Hand, Jurgen Klinsmann". The latter comes with the companion bonus DVD "Best Year Ever!!! The Tale of the Year That Klinsi Won All Those Friendlies".

Berks, Ghosting, skydog and 4 others repped this.