LA Galaxy Flavored USMNT in 2018

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by Berks, Jan 28, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ^^^^ Yeah, it was petty, but I kind of enjoyed it. It tells me he absolutely gets the rivalry. Sort of a mini Gooch-Borghetti moment. These new guys gotta feel the passion in these "friendlies" because there is no friendly in US v Mexico.

And Lainez is an awesome talent and fun to watch. He could be a menace to us I'm afraid sort of like LD was to Mexico.

Berks, MPNumber9, skydog and 1 other person repped this.
  2. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    A win against Mexico is always nice, but I really think we wouldn't have won without that red card. Sarachan just isn't a good manager. The sooner we get him out of there, the better. He has done well getting these kids minutes, but we need a manager with actual tactics. Sarachan's tactics to Gyasi were apparently run around up top, and try to create something. It's no wonder we looked so bad in the first half.

A lot of these kids I want permanently in the first team, and quite a few of them I don't want to see again. Trapp, Roldan, Wood, Moore, and Delgado are not good enough. They are solid MLS players (wood excluded), but on the world's stage, they aren't good enough.

I'd like to see some of the older guys brought back in for the next friendlies. We really need a #6 and a #10 in this team. Green completely changed the game when he came on. Weah was able to slide in more, and Green was attacking defenders.

All things considered, I think this is our best XI imo:

[​IMG]

I intentionally left the #10 spot open because we have guys like Adams, Williams, Green, Saief, Wood, Sargent, and even Johansson who can have big seasons this year to shape our XI.

3. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I may be a bad person. But that was my favorite part of the game.

ProudNatRN, Dr.Phil and barroldinho repped this.
  4. barroldinho

barroldinho Member+

Man Utd and LA Galaxy
    England
    Aug 13, 2007
    US/UK dual citizen in HB, CA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I mentioned on Twitter that it showed his true colours when Alvarez stepped in and he immediately went from "big man" to "ref! look! he bumped me!".

The reasonable response was that this was the reaction he was looking for and that he cleverly goaded Mexico into losing composure and getting a red card.

For me, that doesn't make it better. So he was basically being a dick to obtain an advantage.

I'm not the greatest fan of the red card in football. I know the reason for it and don't have any great alternative but it hurts the game as a spectacle when one team has a man advantage.

Point being: I want to see Miazga outdo opponents by playing the game, not gaming the system.

Not that I'm defending the guy who let himself get gamed either.

Though truth be told, there are rules against unsportsmanlike conduct and if that's not what Miazga was exhibiting, I don't know what is.

generaladmissision18 and TrickHog repped this.
  5. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Miazga should have gotten another yellow for that display.

barroldinho repped this.
  6. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly he was baiting them. I thought he did well to keep his cool and understand he was already on a yellow while still using the mental end of the game.

Zaldivar did the opposite and was ejected.

Edit:
    @barroldinho he did hold off Lainez off on the play leading up to it. So he did show it on the field as well

StillKickin repped this.
  7. Geneva

Geneva LA for Life

Feb 5, 2003
    Southern Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like Robinson a lot, but I'm a sucker for speed, and he's got it. He knows how to use it, and he can put in a decent cross. This can result in many, many goals. And I missed the Brazil game so didn't see his mistakes.

On the other hand, I was dismayed by Kellyn Acosta's extreme slowness, and it looked disqualifying. I'm sure Sarachan did him no favors putting him on the wing, but I assume that was for checking the depth chart.

Skillwise, Miazga has nice ball skills, and Steffan is doing really well and I'm looking forward to more. Seems better than Guzan - how do his numbers stack up, @skydog ?

Lichaj seems sincere and all, but lots of missed passes yesterday. Weah is very raw. Julian Green may be turning into a useful professional and US teammate, and if so I will be completely surprised and also pleased.

StillKickin, patopreto, 73Bruin and 3 others repped this.
  8. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    My impressions:

Player/Save %
    Steffan - 66.3%
    Guzan - 67.7%

Of course save rate doesn't tell the whole story but those aren't very good numbers for either. Given a decent sample size a good keeper has save rates in the 70's, really good keepers are in the upper 70's, great keepers sometimes exceed 80%. This season the best keepers (20 games or more) on this metric are:

Stefan Frei - 78%
    Jeff Attinella - 76%
    Tim Melia - 73%
    Luis Robles - 73%
    Sean Johnson - 72%

Now let's look at this issue in terms of our own team. Save % makes an enormous difference over a season -- especially for crappy defenses. For example the stellar 2018 LAG defense has already allowed 158 shots on goal. Here is how Bingham's save rate plays out versus Frei's, given that many sog:
    GK / Save % / Goals Allowed
    Bingham 65.8% 54 GA
    Frei 78.3% 34 GA

That is an astounding 20 goals difference just due to gk save rates. And that is for just 28 games - it would be even bigger over a 34 game season. If Bingham had even a moderately decent save rate of say 72% we would have allowed 10 fewer goals almost certain to have made the playoffs.

Sadly Bingham was another Sigi mistake that cost us (and him) dearly.

ProudNatRN, Skevin, Geneva and 1 other person repped this.
  9. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I do not expect save % to stay constant as SOG increases. That is, Frei would probably still have a better save rate, but I bet the gap wouldn't as large if Frei faced close to the same number of shots as Bingham has this season. Notably, Bingham has faced the most SOG in MLS, and is 2nd in saves. Frei has faced around 40+ fewer shots.

Which is not to argue that Bingham has been great, but I don't think he's been one of the weak links. He's let in some soft goals, but he's also made some big saves -- which goes back to my point. Even a good GK (with a high save %) will let in soft goals if he faces more SOG/game.

barroldinho repped this.
  10. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I understand your reasoning (more sog-> lower save %) but I’m not sure the data supports much of sog a role on sv%. When I have more time I will look at the data to see if there is any statistical correlation. But even a cursory look at the data throws water on this as much of a defense of Bingham. First, looking at season totals is misleading since Bingham and Evan Bush are the only gks to play all 28 games. So you need to look at the stats on a per game basis. On that metric Shuttleworth of MIN has faced the most sog by a significant amount (6.5/gm vs Binghams 5.6) yet still has a higher save % (68.6 v 65.8).
    Of course 1 anecdotal data point example doesn’t prove anything. But several gk this season have faced 5 or more sog/gm and still saved a significantly higher % of shots. The above mentioned Bush has faced 5.5 sog/gm and has a 71% save rate. In fact Bush & Bingham’s season totals can be compared fairly (both played 28 gyms) and the totals are great examples of my point:
    Bingham 28g 158sog 54GA 66% Sv%
    Bush. 28g. 155sog 45GA 71% Sv%

So both keepers play in front of crappy defenses with each facing almost identical sog (158 v 155) but Bingham has unfortunately allowed 9 more goals (20% more) than Bush. That’s a big difference.

I just think that the goalkeeper position has more influence on a teams performance than any other position on the field. And when you factor their relatively lower costs (vs forwards, quality cb’s) that is the position every coach should focus in first. And for me at least Bingham has hurt us significantly. He fails my eye test and his stats back me up.

ProudNatRN and MPNumber9 repped this.
  11. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    I'll resurrect this thing.

Weah and Green are too inconsistent to start imo. Both are solid options off the bench though. Weah also consistently struggles on the wing, but we have a lot of options for the #10 spot.

Trapp is no where near good enough for the US.

McKinnie is quietly a boss. He does a lot right, but needs better players around him.

Pulisic is a #10 playing on the wing.

Bobby Wood is not a good option against nations where we won't have the ball often. He is a poacher, and does not work against the likes of England.

Guzan is still solid, and can help us transition with Horvath or Steffen.

Defense is pretty good, but they are not miracle workers. They likely won't win us games, and they won't lose us games. Although Villafana is not good enough.

natfaninla, shelbo and TrickHog repped this.
  12. The Cadaver

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I suppose it's churlish, but my first thought when pulisic didn't put his chance away was, "Landon would have scored."

StillKickin, shelbo and barroldinho repped this.
  13. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Probably, but Pulisic is also only 20, and not as much of a goal scorer as Landon was.

generaladmissision18 repped this.
  14. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    Me and England v America every time.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. GalaxyOne

GalaxyOne Member+

Dec 6, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Quite true, but Pulisic is the closest thing we have to Donovan. But where are the other solid supporting cast members that used to surround Donovan? This US team looks so sorry and weak.

ProudNatRN, skydog, shelbo and 1 other person repped this.
  16. The Cadaver

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While I didn't know exactly what the final score would be, the handwriting was on the wall by the 5 minute mark. On the whole it may be better that we were out of the WC and didn't embarrass ourselves on a bigger stage.

GalaxyOne repped this.
  17. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Its no secret that USMNT will hire Greg Berhalter. Its no secret this team needs a coach.

Sarachan has steered the ship while we wait but watching the team yesteray showed they need someone who can instill an identity.

There was no movement on the ball or off the ball. To much stagnation and once Pulisic gets it everyone is busy watching.

We were down 2-0 and we sub out attackers and put box to box midfielders in

It was great to see Llegett back with the NT after a long time out.

Berks, GalaxyOne and TrickHog repped this.
  18. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    I will say as a Spurs fan and a USMNT fan, thank goodness Harry Kane was rested.

GalaxyOne repped this.
  19. Beep Boop Robot

Mar 11, 2015
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I'm still not a fan of Green. Weah has a lot of promise, but I think he projects long term as a center forward. My biggest 'concern' is that he isn't getting playing time for PSG (understandably), but they also didn't send him on loan.

I think Pulisic is a winger, but also currently our best option at the 10 spot.

Bobby Wood is just keeping Josh Sargent's spot warm. From what I've seen/heard/read is that Sargent has the talent and is on track to be a legitimate top 5 goal scorer in the world. I wouldn't be surprised to see him starting for Werder Bremen next year. I can see him having a Pulisic-esque rise up the ranks.

I'm not worried about Goalkeeper. 'Keepers normally peak late and all of our top GK talent is still young.

I'm unsure about our defense though. Brooks hasn't played well in about 2 years, I think it's time we give someone else a real shot. Miazga is probably the best CB in the pool and I don't see him loosing his spot anytime soon. Yedlin is great going forward, but still hasn't learned how to defend. I can see Reggie Cannon winning the RB spot going into 2022 World Cup. I don't think we have any standouts at left back. Atlanta has a 16/17 year old left back they rate super highly. Didn't look out of place at all in the few games he played this year.

In the long term, I think we have more Talent coming through the ranks than we've ever had. The next couple years will probably be very inconsistent, but I think we're going to be just fine as the players start to mature.

The big question I have if Greg Berhalter comes in and sets up using the same system he has in Columbus, is who plays the Higuain, free floating 10 role? Pulisic would be lethal out on the right/left and I don't think we'd get the best out of him centrally? We have some top tier midfield talent but none of them are real creators. If I put on my super Galaxy tinted glass and drink up my optimism juice, I think long term that spot is perfect for Efrain Alvarez. Kid is a wizard with the ball at his feet. Give him lisence to roam in and out of pockets of space and he'll kill teams.

20. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like Steffen, I think his distirbution is the best in the pool. He can channel his inner Howard and stand on his head too.
    -Mainly I just don't want to see Guzan anymore. He had a pass early in the game straight to an England player who put it back in and Wilson beat Guzan to the ball that luckly went wide.

Miazaga I like but he didn't do to well yesterday.But Brooks wasnt great either. -Lingard's goal was well stuck but he cant have that much space in the box.

I like Acosta, Adams and Mckennie but all 3 on the field (Dont think Trapp has it to play at a high level) at the same time seems redundant. There needs to be someone who can link that defense to the attack.

Berhalter I think is smart enough to run the offense through Pulisic whether thats creating space for him on the wing or giving him time in the center.

21. Beirut

Beirut Member+

Feb 3, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    If the search for. Coach and GM for the Galaxyis frustrating, do not read about the USMNT's search for a coach.

Spoiler: they interviewed no one. It's been Berhalter's job this entire time.

Let's hope we have amazing talent in the pipeline that can succeed despite the ineptitude of US Soccer.

22. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Although it's possible it's been Vermes' the entire time......;)

23. GalaxyOne

GalaxyOne Member+

Dec 6, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Based on the last 10 years, I'd say hoping for amazing talent in the pipeline sounds like a pipe dream. But you're right, one can always hope.

24. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was a depressing game to watch. A bunch of players going through the motions waiting for the new coach to arrive. Blegh. C'mon guys - I want to feel excited about this team again!!!

Also - defense didn't look good. Brooks hasn't looked good in awhile, and Miazga also had some scary moments. :(

Also happy for Lletget.

25. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I actually forgot we were playing and didn't see the game at all. But I did read about it. Pulisic was very defensive in his post-game interview.

Shame how much time we've wasted on hiring a coach.