LA Galaxy Flavored USMNT in 2018

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by Berks, Jan 28, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can Lletget make it back to the national team this year? Will Zardes come back from obscurity? Will anyone else on LA emerge to be a national team star? So full of questions with the brightest hope being Lletget.

One note: those that said that the USMNT missing the world cup was "good for them" - I had an interesting conversation at work this week. I work for one of the major sponsors of the World Cup (I'm no longer at EA but somewhere else), and they are struggling to get the US to pony up marketing dollars to support their worldwide campaign. Our Latin American region has contributed, as has Europe for obvious reasons, but even with the Hispanic market the United States has poured way less dollars into the campaign this year, which means fewer dollars promoting the game in the US. And by fewer dollars I mean tens of millions. A major TV campaign that would have aired a ton here, won't. It also won't feature any American athletes for obvious reasons.

An example of monetary repercussions of the miss. It's real, folks.

StillKickin, barroldinho, skydog and 7 others repped this.
  2. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And Gyasi gets the start. At this point, you just gotta laugh.

The Beautiful Gamer repped this.
  3. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Couldn't reply to the 2017 thread, and my immediate thought was I somehow got banned. Panicked a little bit.

Anyway, I am starting to understand USA fan's disappointment with seeing Zardes in an XI. After our disaster last season where he played defense, midfield, and striker, and managed to look bad in every spot, I really wonder how he starts for the national team.

I mean he wasn't even good enough for our club. Did he just suddenly refind his form? Would rather have seen someone else out there.

4. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    January camp starts are based on your form in camp. Presumably, it was good.

Sapong with a good start, same with Opara.

EDIT: I know Sapong is older, but he has looked very very good in his starts. He'll be useful in this cycle. Won't make the WC, but will be useful.

5. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Meh first half minus some brightness from Sapong and solidness from Opara. Classic January friendly, but damn it's nice to watch soccer again. And see StubHub!

EDIT: Oh, and a nice Hamid save.

6. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Meh. Second half even worse than the first. I got to watch 90 minutes of soccer and Opara looked good. Steffen still seems promising. Adams seems like a headless chicken, but he's young. Morris still looks overly beefy but did some interesting stuff in the 2nd half.

Apparently one of our next friendlies is France. *wince*

Need to start showing some promise to get the bad taste out of everyone's mouths. Haven't seen it yet.

7. 73Bruin

73Bruin Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Torrance, California
    I didn't think that Zardes played well from an offensive perspective and got beaten badly once on defense. On the other hand while Arriola was much more dynamic and worked with Polster better, the right side became a defensive liability for the US in the second half.

natfaninla and The Cadaver repped this.
  8. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Game was dreadful, and it's not surprising. Most of these guys are average to above average MLSers with a few good ones sprinkled in. Unsurprisingly the good ones (Opara, Hamid, Arriola, and Rowe) were the ones who showed they could play. Must be so frustrating to make a good pass and see Morris, Zardes, or Roldan completely mess up the first touch.

Morris actually has talent though. His runs off the ball are very intelligent, but his first touch, and finishing as really poor.

I want to see more of Hamid, and I hope Steffen continues to improve. Other than that, I can't really justify playing someone like Opara over Gonzalez, Besler, Carter-Vickers, Miazga, Ream, Cameron, or Birnbaum.

The Cadaver repped this.
  9. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agree with most of the comments. Hard to take much from the game, between guys being inexperienced internationally, inexperienced with eachother and in pre-season form. Pretty inauspicious game all-around. I didn't think Zardes played particularly well.

10. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I thought Morris was a cut above the rest - he was more athletic than most of the players on the field and actually created shots from almost nothing. The rest were serviceable for passing the ball around but few were a threat to penetrate and score. Well actually Sapong was the most athletic but he plays out of control most of the the time. Opara was solid but Zimmerman wasn't very good at all, nor our right fullback in the 2nd half (don't remember who) - he got embarrassed repeatedly. Hamid was Hamid - very good most of the time but still inconsistent. He was getting a lot of praise from the commentators for his nice kick save but somehow they didn't notice or forgot to mention that the shot was the end of a play started by a Hamid blunder when passing out of the back.

Early on it seemed to me that there were no really dangerous attackers in this game and it was likely to end up 0-0. Turns out that with the pk we were a bit lucky that was the case.

73Bruin, MPNumber9 and natfaninla repped this.
  11. 73Bruin

73Bruin Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Torrance, California
    The US backline stayed the same the entire match. So the right back was Matt Polster from the Fire. The biggest difference was that Polster often overlapped Arriola and Arriola didn't cover. By contrast Polster seldom overlapped Zardes and for the most part Gyasi played more conservatively. Note: I don't think Zardes played well, more that the US attacked more in the second half vs playing a counter attacking strategy in the fist.

Berks and skydog repped this.
  12. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I agree. It was evident that our midfield was leaving too much open space in front of and around Polster - he had little defensive help on his side of the field. Polster made the problem worse with some of his own positioning decisions. Worst I remember was him stepping up to a dribbler that Arriola (?) had pretty much covered while leaving an opposing winger wide open to receive a pass and get behind the defense.

13. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why do I think the thrown-together teams at the combine played more cohesive soccer than the Nats did last night?

ProudNatRN repped this.
  14. The Cadaver

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just remembered there is a game today. v. Paraguay. FS1 @ 4:30 PDT. I hear that Dave is trotting out a very young squad.

hav77, natfaninla and TrickHog repped this.
  15. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's fun to watch - no egos involved.

I'm liking this Saief guy, our No. 10. He's definitely a keeper out there.

Berks and hav77 repped this.
  16. The Cadaver

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, Dave may be giving us a look at the changing of the guard. Agree Saief was a standout. Thought he was playing outside, not as a number 10. In any event he was fun.
    In fact, the whole team was more fun to watch than the recent editions of the Nats. I know there was nothing at stake so they could play freely, but there was a certain joy of youth there that was attractive. I am actually looking forward to the coming friendlies more than the World Cup. And they were not contaminated by the Klinsi experience.

Berks, hav77, napper and 3 others repped this.
  17. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Future looks good as long as we get a good manager. Lots of young talents out there. Even if 1/4th make it, we will have a solid team.

hav77 and Ghosting repped this.
  18. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also really liked Saief. Had ideas and wasn't afraid to create. Also seriously impressed by Tyler Adams who I've now seen in CCL and here. NYRB have a talent on their hands.

Steffen looked good, as did CCV and Miazga (minus a snaffoo towards the end).

One player who didn't look so hot was Yedlin. Bobby Wood was clearly rusty so will cut him some slack.

Overall, agree with the above, fun to watch and a bit refreshing that some of the vitriol was gone.

StillKickin and shelbo repped this.
  19. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    TrickHog repped this.
  20. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Given we have more MNT players on the squad now (and they're actually going to the WC) should we create an El Tri thread?

Dr.Phil repped this.
  21. 73Bruin

73Bruin Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Torrance, California
    Actually a "National Team" thread might be more relevant. After all Zlatan could join Sweden and IIRC other Galaxy players have received at least occasional call-ups.

hav77 and MPNumber9 repped this.
  22. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great idea. Thread created.

Berks, MPNumber9 and Dr.Phil repped this.
  23. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

TrickHog and The Cadaver repped this.
  24. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    TrickHog repped this.
  25. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Berks and generaladmissision18 repped this.