LA Galaxy Flavored USMNT in 2017

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by Berks, Nov 29, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cameron was one of the worst players in the Costa Rica loss and his poor pass out of the back directly to a Costa Rican player lead directly to the 2nd goal. I guess that, like Fabian Johnson's terrible performance in that game, got lost in all the people blaming Michael Bradley for leaving Roma?

Doesn't mean Bruce is above reproach (I thought his approach to T&T was a big mistake; baffling really) but we can hold individual players accountable.

I do think, like Italy, who never seemed like they were going to win home match vs. Sweden, there is something deeply troubled behind-the-scenes of that US squad. And it was there before Bruce got there.

Berks, GalaxyKoa, Ghosting and 3 others repped this.
  2. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Don't disagree with you all. Cameron did have a poor match against Costa Rica, but that was also down to Ream and him not working well at all. Just like how when Gonzalez and Brooks played together they looked godawful. You can't pair two centerbacks who play the same way and expect them to work.

It's questionable to prefer Miazga over Cameron who starts for a premier league club, but that would have been Bruce's choice.

It's all moot now anyway. Bruce did seem to favor the players that spoke well of him. Besler was a big Bruce supporter. Besler even took a shot at Jurgen when Besler said Bruce actually prepares us for matches.

3. 73Bruin

73Bruin Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Torrance, California
    Just because JJ plays an all out brand of soccer doesn't mean he is right about coaches. Hell he still seems to like that screw-up Klinsmann. Klinsmann was about as good a soccer coach as Harold Hill was a real music teacher.

Ghosting and FlapJack repped this.
  4. FlapJack

FlapJack Member+

Mar 3, 2006
    Los Angeles
    He's a what?

73Bruin and Geneva repped this.
  5. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cameron has an opinion on Arena, Jones has an opinion on Arena and you have an opinion on Klinsmann.

Sounds about right.

6. forie

forie Member+

Sep 14, 2007
    Costa Mesa
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And a lot of the players had a great opinion of Arena and a bad opinion of JK. Your point?

73Bruin repped this.
  7. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you are asking about Arena, I posted my point earlier. Again: "Arena was a disgrace. Getting only 4 points from the last 4 matches against CR, Honduras, Panama, and T&T, really?

As to what opinions players have, post them which is what was done re Cameron and Jones.

Your point?

8. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Both Arena and Klinsmann contributed to the US not qualifying for the WC; Arena wouldn't have been there in the first place if Klinsmann had not lost his team and put qualifying in jeopardy. As I said, something was already deeply wrong with the team when Arena took over, which is not excusing Arena at all, but players under-performed greatly throughout this qualifying campaign. I guess folks forget our loss to Guatemala, snapping a 21-match unbeaten streak against that side in the earlier round of the Hex?

Ghosting, StillKickin, 73Bruin and 5 others repped this.
  9. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You are just trying to make excuses for a pathetic coaching performance by Bruce Arena and want to shift talk to a loss to Guatemala in the group stage? Really? We won the group stage by 2 points taking 4 of a possible 6 points from T&T.

We went to Honduras and barely escaped with a point, went to T&T playing their C team and could not even get a point and you want to deflect attention by talking about a loss to Guatemala in the group stage before the Hex? Really?

Arena's performance will go down in history as the worst coaching performance in modern program history but continue to make all the excuses you need.

10. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Second worst. After Klinsmann.

StillKickin, Berks, skydog and 4 others repped this.
  11. forie

forie Member+

Sep 14, 2007
    Costa Mesa
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My point is you can find positive and negative opinions from players concerning Arena or even JK (I'm not going to waste my time to research positive opinions on Arena...I think we all can agree they have been made). The point is: Everyone has an opinion, but opinions aren't always facts.

I haven't made any definitive statements based off of my opinion; however, you did: "Arena's performance will go down in history as the worst coaching performance in modern program history but continue to make all the excuses you need."

I have no problem critiquing Arena and how he mishandled the WC qualifiers, but there was more than one coach during these qualifiers. To complain and pin the failure solely on one coach and not the other is a complete disregard to the whole story.

12. GalaxyKoa

GalaxyKoa Member+

Jul 18, 2007
    North County
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Y'all are just banging your head against a wall. Dude's a Klinsmann truther, it's not worth it.

Ghosting, StillKickin, Berks and 3 others repped this.
  13. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #888 MPNumber9, Nov 17, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2017
    Edit: You're right; why bother.

73Bruin and galvanator repped this.
  14. rtdavide

rtdavide Member+

Apr 20, 2005
    Whittier, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know this doesn't have anything to do with your point, but as a dual citizen and passport holder for both Italy and the US... AND a galaxy fan.. this has been a depressing year for me. And the hangover's gonna continue for that national teams through at least the WC half way through 2018. thbhbhbhbbb

Ghosting, FlapJack, The Cadaver and 4 others repped this.
  15. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How does that opinion get me to Russia? Let me call up CONCACAF and tell them.

question: "someone just said that Klinsmann had a worse performance than Arena. Can we please get to go to Russia"

answer: "Arena could not manage to get 13 points from a possible 24 with 18 points available against Panama, Honduras, and T&T? GTFO"

16. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #891 TheHoustonHoyaFan, Nov 17, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2017
    So Klinsmann prevented Arena from getting 13 of 24 available points?

17. GalaxyKoa

GalaxyKoa Member+

Jul 18, 2007
    North County
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do you honestly not see the irony there?

patopreto and TOAzer repped this.
  18. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do you understand the definition of irony or the meaning of the question mark?

So Klinsmann prevented Arena from getting 13 of 24 available points?

19. Geneva

Geneva LA for Life

Feb 5, 2003
    Southern Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You have my deep sympathies. What a year, and you're right about that depressing hangover to come.

TOAzer and rtdavide repped this.
  20. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    HoustonHoyaFan, please play nice or you can find another sandbox. Thanks.

21. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ouch. Talk about a triple-whammy. Sorry.

22. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #897 TOAzer, Nov 17, 2017
    Klinsmann: ppg in WC Qualifying, 2018? 0
    Arena: ppg in WC Qualifying, 2018? 0.54 Hmmmmm........

Had Jurgen contributed just one point to the campaign, we qualify. Just one..... If only Klinsmann had "GTFO" two games earlier

23. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #898 TheHoustonHoyaFan, Nov 17, 2017
    You are absolutely correct, if Klinsmann had managed a single point say if "ball watching" Omar had connected on his wide open header we would not be having this conversation.

Much like last cycle we would have likely won the Hex going away.

Last cycle 19 of the last 24 points.

This cycle 12 of the last 24 points.

24. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've had to edit some posts on this thread to keep it on track. No name calling, please. Keep it civil. You have been warned.

patopreto, rokstedy and Geneva repped this.
  25. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    This is all moot anyway. We didn't quality.

Arena and Jurgen both deserve blame for this. So do the players. Hopefully we can learn from this and make sure it doesn't happen again. We missed out on a crucial chance to showcase some of our younger players to the world.

GalaxyKoa, hav77, FlapJack and 6 others repped this.