LA Galaxy Flavored USMNT in 2017

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by Berks, Nov 29, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shelbo

shelbo Member+

Oct 16, 2007
    L.A.
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wasnt able to catch the game live so when I saw the game I couldnt help but chuckle that the US Journalists were calling this a 3-4-3. We bunkered ( i have no problem with that) the whole game it was a 5-4-1.

I like the way Arena did this camp. He immediately told all the players that they may all be used. That there were going to be many changes to the lineup and formation. They practiced and looked well organized. We didnt even have 30% possession but still were able to get 7 shots vs Mexico 10 and our expected goals were fairly close. Deserved ti

4 points collected. Well done

Berks, hav77, StillKickin and 1 other person repped this.
  3. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    It's hilarious reading the comments on the ESPN article about the game. Some are lamenting the loss of JK since now we have returned to playing "ugly soccer." It's like they never actually watched the team under JK but only listened to his platitudes. The JK coached "attacking, creative" US team is an urban myth. Or maybe it existed in closed practices only.

patopreto, Berks, napper and 8 others repped this.
  4. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We all know what Bruce would say about stats. I thought it was a good result and a great performance by the US, frankly. Everyone's talking about how poorly Mexico played, but that was due to a well-executed US gameplan that, among other things, allowed the US to score in the first 10 minutes. I think it's disappointing that the one lapse the team had in an otherwise mostly flawless performance ended up costing us a goal and a win, but a tie is an extremely respectable result given the way we managed it. We earned lots of corners and had a few good chances, including Wood's whiff and Omar's missed header.

5. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    BTW, how hard is Bruce trolling? JK lost to Mexico at home with 3 in the back; Bruce gets a tie in Azteca with 3 in the back.

Berks, Beakmon FC, hav77 and 5 others repped this.
  6. GalaxyOne

GalaxyOne Member+

Dec 6, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anyone else think Guzan was caught horribly flat-footed and both Howard and Rimando may have saved that Mexico goal?

MPNumber9 and wcmanes repped this.
  7. wcmanes

wcmanes Member

May 28, 1999
    Riverside, Ca, USA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Near post and he wasn't ready. Told my wife at the moment that Tommy would have stopped it.

GalaxyOne repped this.
  8. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    I don't think so. It was a great finish. Low driven shot back across where the keeper was coming from. Also Guzan has 3-4 US bodies in front of him.

Guzan had himself an ok game. He luckily didn't have to make any great saves, but he came out when he needed to and distributed well which is surprising coming from Brad.

9. GalaxyOne

GalaxyOne Member+

Dec 6, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, looks like its 2 against 1 in the battle of opinions. Therefore I guess we can conclude that Guzan did indeed mess up and cost us the game. :)

Look again. Ball went in about 3 feet inside the post. Shot from 20-22 yard away, not screened at all. Guzan just needs to lay flat and stretch out his arm to get to it. He actually didn't move hardly at all, just sort of fell back slowly. :oops:

I think I could have made that save at least 50% of the time.:cool:

upload_2017-6-14_9-52-5.png
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

Dawdler and wcmanes repped this.
  10. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Great results for US last night with Panama tying Honduras in the 90th minute. Now we just need to win our home games and we are through. Of course home wins aren't guaranteed, especially not against CR. But we play CR first so if somehow we don't get those 3 points we will know what we have to do in our last 3 games.

MPNumber9, Berks, Geneva and 1 other person repped this.
  11. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And Gyasi is going to get 25 minutes for the red, white and blue.

MPNumber9 and Geneva repped this.
  12. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    He made a couple of physical plays but still very hesitant with decision making, his mojo still gone. Looks like he mainly goes through the motions and shows no anticipation of play. I can't but help wonder if he is still not 100% back physically. He was so much more dynamic in all of his previous seasons. Just kind of weird for this sluggishness to continue for so long.

I liked the new guy from Florida/Israel/Belgium - very nice skills and composure. Not surprised - that's the way the Israel national team plays. Liked his play around the box.

And BOO to ESPN - another low def broadcast for soccer. Not the way to present the product. It's like ESPN has given up on US soccer as a major growth sport.

MPNumber9, Berks and Geneva repped this.
  13. hav77

hav77 Member+

May 31, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    When did Dwyer become an American? Was it through his marriage to Leroux?

14. Beep Boop Robot

Mar 11, 2015
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    He became a citizen a few months ago. He's been in the country for multiple years (believe he came over for college). I believe Leroux is actually Canadian.

hav77 repped this.
  15. Geneva

Geneva LA for Life

Feb 5, 2003
    Southern Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, she's definitely American, but I believe would also have qualified for the Canadian national team.

16. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed. Bruce must have seen something in training, but it's hard to see during game time.

17. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Zardes had one play where he received the ball with his back to goal and a man on him and laid it off to Morris with one touch who was able to get behind and get off a dangerous cross requiring a great save to deny Bedoya.

It's a small thing but...his touch and vision have been (fairly) criticized, so putting together one small play like this that amounts to something is something to build on for confidence. He also drew a foul a few minutes before. Hopefully he can put those moments together more consistently.

Berks and StillKickin repped this.
  18. TruffleShuffle

Dec 7, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Leroux was born in Canada with a Canadian mom and American dad, moved to the US before college, filed the one-time switch to the US team at the U20 level, went to UCLA, and then to the USWNT

ETA: if her & Dwyer's kid gets the run fast gene from both parents... look out. she's faster than Dwyer, comparatively speaking

TrickHog and Geneva repped this.
  19. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Omar Gonzalez with the start in the first game of the Gold Cup. The folks who are asking for a more experimental line up clearly don't know Bruce Arena. Yes, this is the JV side of the tourney, but he still wants to win it.

The Cadaver repped this.
  20. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Big sigh of relief....

21. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yup. Need one more to make breathing easy.

22. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gyasi about to come on. I think the Nats board is about to meltdown.

EDIT: Also some bad defending for about 15 minutes leading to this tie.

23. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Defense has been awful basically all match. If Guzan doesn't make a couple ridiculous saves, we are losing.

24. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You know what? Gyasi hasn't been half bad.

Geneva, StillKickin and hav77 repped this.
  25. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not a great match for the US, slow and ponderous. Defense went out to lunch for a few minutes and we paid for it. Midfield was most disappointing to me though - McCarthy, Acosta and Corona disappointing.

StillKickin, skydog and hav77 repped this.