LA Galaxy 2016 Analysis

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by Carlosamigos, Feb 20, 2017.

1. Carlosamigos

Carlosamigos Member

May 21, 2016
    Belfast
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Hi all,

I've been more active in the La Galaxy forum as opposed to the News and Analysis section of these forums. But read this piece recently on the the Galaxys chance creation during the 2016 normal season. Just wondering about your thoughts on it, and whether any of you had actually stumbled across it?

Heres the article anyway;

http://www.thestatszone.com/article...alaxys-chance-creation-in-the-2016-mls-season

2. scoachd1

scoachd1 Member+

Jun 2, 2004
    Southern California
    I had seen it, but really didn't find it all that insightful. It seemed more like a compilation of basic stats (Dos Santos shoots a lot with his left, Gordon and Van Dame tend to shoot with their head etc.).

3. profiled

profiled Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 7, 2000
    slightly north of a mile high
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Not that it is/isn't insightful, but it's a good way to show those tendencies of different players that you might not have if you didn't regularly watch a team play.

Being able to look at that sort of data for any team at a glance is a pretty good entry primer to how a team tends to create attacks and play.

In addition, seeing things like Bruce Arena lead teams giving away possession and becoming (alarmingly perhaps) direct when holding a lead in the second half are good things to know as well (not exactly surprising however in this case.

Having this data across the league would be pretty neat.

Not only that it was a nice way of visualizing that data to be digestible at a glance.

4. Sportlad

Sportlad Member

Jul 12, 2016
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Yeah, it' particularly telling to see how the approach of the team differed depending on the game state. A lot of it is confirming what a lot of fans suspected, but it's nice to see the proof in the pudding, so to speak.

profiled repped this.
  5. Robertoe

Robertoe Member

Jun 30, 2016
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Yes I agree. Quite telling about how some of their designated players underperformed - Gerrard especially. Had he not retired, it would likely have been a difficult conversation.

6. Carlosamigos

Carlosamigos Member

May 21, 2016
    Belfast
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    I see a second piece has been added by The Stats Zone with regards to LA, but this time mainly looking at the impact of the designated players;

http://www.thestatszone.com/article...la-galaxys-designated-players-2016-mls-season

Shows you how much influence Arena put on them. If they were fit, they played, and generally played the full game regardless of how they were performing. If only they had kept Zardes fit...