L.I.S.A. League Rewinded (Your Stories)

Discussion in 'Portugal: Clubs' started by ChopSoccerDude, Nov 14, 2005.

1. JuveleoRules

JuveleoRules Member

Jun 8, 2002
    New Jersey, U.S.A.
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Might be time for a reunion...

2. PassItOn

PassItOn New Member

Dec 29, 2004
    NJ
    Lusitalia did it a few years back. Maybe it would be a good idea to get a LISA get together dinner.

The problem is can we get a hall big enough.

3. ChopSoccerDude

Dec 3, 2004
    New Jersey
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    It was nice getting together... but JuveLeo is right, it may be time for another reunion. Every once in awhile I still see Couto, Balao, Braga, Ricardo Silva, Ricardo Pires.
    Meanwhile here are some more players that played in Portugal:

Julio (played for Kearny Portuguese and was ex-Marialvas 2nd division in Portugal who got to play against Benfica for the Portugal Cup)
    Puskas (Brazilian forward who played for Kearny, Bairradinos and Newark Benfica; I think he played for Marialvas also)... we both got red-carded after he fouled our goalie Ze Goncalves. Why? I told him: "You want a piece of my goalie, you gotta get a piece of me 1st" (along w/ some pushing :D ). Gigante was the ref. and he didn't even think twice.
    Ramalheira (Bairradinos) what a character this guy was. can't remember where he played in Portugal.
    Pedro (forward for FC Porto Newark who went on to play and coach Acad. Viseu)

4. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    Carioca was one of the best goalscores ever in our community for Jersey Brasil i hear he passed away

5. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    Bigodes played for Jersey Brasil and a few more teams, also coach Porto Juniores in the early 70's died in the Ironbound B Field, I still remember putting my coat over his body, but was nothing we could do, he did of a heart attack for I understand

it could be either in the Schaeffer League or Lisa not sure at this time

6. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    My son his doing the architect work on one of Lusitalia project, if you see Piedade tell him I say hi.

Frank III also got promoted to vice president of the North Jersey Architects Club

my son also played for the SCP and Ironbound BC Juniores

7. ChopSoccerDude

Dec 3, 2004
    New Jersey
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    ... and I coached him briefly @ Boys Club one year :)

8. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    I went to the 8 am Mass at our lady of Fatima in Elizabeth, and our Francisco Gomes saw me and came running and gave me a big hug, nice guy.

9. ChopSoccerDude

Dec 3, 2004
    New Jersey
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    well, talk about digging an almost dead thread (Frank Cunha had the last post on this thread...).
    I found this article about Manny Reis where I found out he was one of the founding members of LISA. It's a nice read, he actually went to the same Seminary in Portugal as I did (Santa Joana) only 50 years earlier and started there at the same age (12). JLR, you have probably heard of this man.

http://www.njherald.com/305550642905233.php

10. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005
    Nice article. Good role model.

11. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005
  12. ChopSoccerDude

Dec 3, 2004
    New Jersey
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Thanks Vila, this was a great find!

Mayer actually played in the LISA against me many times (he played for Sport Newark Benfica and I played for Lusitalia - w/ PIO). We are still friends but I will never forget an elbow I got from him when we both jumped for a ball in a game. it was frustation though because my team (the underdog at the time) beat Benfica 2-1. We had good matchups. He still shows up often at my store as does his son Leroy...

13. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005
    You're welcome. I had a feeling you'd know him . :)

14. natek

natek New Member

Jun 21, 2008
    I played in the L.I.S.A league from 1990 till 1996...It was an incredible experience..The 1st 3 years was with Galicia...That team dominated during those years...Unbelievable players..coaches and owner.....The next 3 years was with sporting club port...good teams..always in tight games..our captain was a guy named China..Very good player...I would love to hear what happen to some of those guys...

15. ThespecialoneJM

ThespecialoneJM New Member

May 13, 2008
    San Jose
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    why did it fold? and what year?

16. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005
    Welcome to BigSoccer newbie :) Glad to have you onboard.

17. ChopSoccerDude

Dec 3, 2004
    New Jersey
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I remember the Galicia team (since I played against them a few times when I was with Lusitalia and then 1 year at Kearny Portuguese) but I honestly do not remember it dominating during those years...:confused:
    I also played against Sport Club Portugues during that time and indeed China was thei captain. He's still around and is active in the 40 and over leagues in Center Circle in Rahway. He has a son which is probably about 13 or 14 years old who has potential and is playing for some local teams.

18. Broa

Broa New Member

Jul 14, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon

19. Broa

Broa New Member

Jul 14, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon

20. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005
    I found a cromo of his in my collection.