Kung Fu O'Hara

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by thegamesthatrate, Jul 1, 2015.

1. thegamesthatrate

Jan 9, 2007
    After the way she scored her first international goal last night, it was a nickname for her that just came to me.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  2. SccrDon

SccrDon Member+

Dec 4, 2001
    Colorado Springs
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like it. Each replay gave me a chance to supply appropriate sound effects.

3. beerslinger23

beerslinger23 Member+

Jun 26, 2010
  4. Mississippi Flash

May 19, 2002
    Mississippi
    Kelley O'Hara sure has taken advantage of her playing time. Heath seems to be getting the nod over her, but I don't see it. How do the two players compare on speed, power, reading the game and technical ability?

5. Dundalk24

Dundalk24 Member

Jul 20, 2007
    PA/OH
    Technical ability is a clear advantage to Tobin. Though she doesn't always harness it effectively. O'Hara has an advantage in the speed and power department (as well as fitness). Reading the game? I'd say Tobin is better at reading the game when she has the ball (she can multitask). But O'Hara is definitely better without the ball. She has better movement and better runs off the ball.

RalleeMonkey repped this.
  6. thegamesthatrate

Jan 9, 2007

Beautiful photo!

7. SaintNdaCity

SaintNdaCity Member

Oct 24, 2012
    Somewhere in the swamps of Jersey!
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is for all you youngsters out there who were not alive when this was a hit:

8. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    The look of pure joy on her face as she raced away after scoring was my favorite moment of the Cup.

hedur and Semblance17 repped this.
  9. thegamesthatrate

Jan 9, 2007
    Great clip!

10. Brizzle17

Brizzle17 Member

Jun 29, 2015
    O hara has been great but she has not outplayed Heath or anyone for that matter. She has speed and power and is good on defense but she does not read the game better than Heath and technical ability is not even close. You have to have someone on the wing who can also get the ball to the forwards and create as well. If anything she should be a sub for Heath in 60-70 minute range.

11. Semblance17

Semblance17 Member+

United States
    Apr 27, 2013
    Lighthouse Point, FL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey, not being alive when it was a hit doesn't mean us youngsters out here have never heard it.

12. SaintNdaCity

SaintNdaCity Member

Oct 24, 2012
    Somewhere in the swamps of Jersey!
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True enough, but I run into enough young people who have no clue who the Beatles and Rollings Stones were in their time.

13. hedur

hedur Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

lil_one and Semblance17 repped this.
  14. Semblance17

Semblance17 Member+

United States
    Apr 27, 2013
    Lighthouse Point, FL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I love Kling's face in that picture too. Actually I love just about everyone's face in that picture.

hedur repped this.
  15. chris thebassplayer

Feb 18, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Ha, that was my first thought also - Kung Fu finish.

I like O'Hara's game. I understand the appeal for Heath. She has excellent technique... has all the dribbling tricks down, has good vision and can provide a solid pass. I'd prefer O' Hara though at flank mid....I think her D is better, mentally always engaged in the game and she plays at a slightly higher clip...There are times when Heath hangs on to the ball too long and looks a little off the flow of the game, a little disengaged defensively..just don't like seeing her on the flank. They are both solid players.

16. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    I feel strongly that Heath would be best used as a central attacking player. She's got the moves to beat anyone, but not the speed to beat someone down the wing. She plays silky passes on the ground. Doesn't cross so well. I'll never understand how she got pigeon-holed as a winger.

Tsunami and uncchamps2012 repped this.
  17. Plxix

Plxix BigSoccer Yellow Card

Mar 13, 2006
    Heath is not being played in the right spot but doing really good I think. There's a sense of calm about her. The split pass to Morgan was superb and that's what we will need vs. Japan. People tend to jump around want replacement with O'Hara with O'Hara (after screetching for HAO).

O'Hara is who you want after the 60th minute.

18. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    I agree. In the last decade or so, I've not thought that we looked like our players had elite skill. Against China and Germany, we have. Having defenders with crazy skill on the ball like Kling (that pass to Lloyd!; and all match, she was scaring the poop out of the Germans), Johnston. Even Sauerbrunn danced away from Sasic under pressure. Brian. But, having Heath on the really stepped us up in our ability to hold and play build up soccer.

Ya, that splitter pass was a thing of beauty. I feel like if she was played centrally, we'd see those a lot (I'm not just talking about on this team, this tournament. I'm talking about my mystification that the accepted wisdom that Heath is a wide player.)

As a total random aside, I thought a huge element vs. Germany was our defenders' composure on the ball. When Germany pressured our mids, the mids just outletted to a defender. The defenders are so composed on the ball, Germany couldn't get enough plaers forward to put on more than token pressure. And, as we built our attack, we would knock it back to a CB at the circle. The fullbacks would be upfield, OM's pinched in - we'd have 8 players in the German end, 2 more within 10 yards of the their half. Because of our backline's ability to hold under pressure and intitiate the offense.

Tsunami, BlueCrimson and Plxix repped this.
  19. thegamesthatrate

Jan 9, 2007
    There is another compelling reason to start O'Hara.

Japan's best player is Aya Miyama. She plays on the left in midfield. I like O'Hara to give her a more difficult time than Heath. Shut down Miyama and our lock-down defense will surely keep the sheet clean. The USA will come up with at least one goal to prevail in that situation.

20. Plxix

Plxix BigSoccer Yellow Card

Mar 13, 2006
    Miyama vs. Kreiger, who wins?

21. chris thebassplayer

Feb 18, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I agree, stalemating their midfield will be key for us. I think O'Hara's work rate really helps in that regard...plus she fights like hell. I honestly don't know why Ellis has kept her out of the line up for so long...she's a great two way player.

22. Brizzle17

Brizzle17 Member

Jun 29, 2015
    All you do is switch Pinoe and Heath back to their regular sides and have Pinoe on Miyama. Our defense is good enough.

23. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    Pinoe did dominate Laudher's side of the field.