Kudos...

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by mattjo, Apr 24, 2008.

1. mattjo

mattjo Member+

Feb 3, 2001
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, while we generlly will discuss matches, outcomes, lineups, performances, I wanted to give a big Kudos to the US Soccer Federation for it scheduling the past two years. While people can complain about selections for who played in these matches, I see little room for debate about the schedule itself (well, we might can complain about managing expectations among the BS fan base and obtaining results in these matches, but then again when has BS ever been rational). In short,we played in the Gold Cup and in the Copa America, and also lined up the following friendlies which include matches against 3 of the top 4 plus England at Wembley:

1. Denmark at home
    2. Ecuador at home
    3. Sweden on the road
    4. Brazil at home
    5. Switzerland on the road
    6. South Africa on the road
    7. Sweden at home
    8. Poland on the road
    9. England on the road
    10. Spain on the road
    11. Argentina at home.

2. olephill2

olephill2 Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Club:
    Watford FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good post. The USSF does indeed deserve credit for scheduling matches against some class opposition in the last 2 years, with many of these on the road. I'm confident that the experience gained in these matches will benefit us both in qualification and in 2010.

3. Prime Time

Prime Time Member

May 1, 2004
    South Florida
    Hopefully in 2010. I want another good run like in 2002. Damn that was exciting!

4. JediMindTricks

Jun 20, 2006
    Houston
    +1 for giving reps to USSF.

this can only help us in the long run. i just wish i had the time and money to watch us in england and spain. and ny too.

5. BenfromUSA

BenfromUSA Member

Jan 20, 2006
    Minneapolis/St. Paul
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While scheduling tough friendlies doesn't automatically mean success at the world cup, i have to agree that they can only help.

Tough friendlies give more accurate representations of the ability our players have, unlike cupcakes against guatemala which provide false hope and mirages.

The upcoming friendlies will do loads of good in terms of making judgments for our qualifying squads.

6. improbus

improbus New Member

Apr 13, 2008
    Marysville, OH
    I especially like it because we don't have anything akin to the Euro's. The Euro is pressure packed like the WC and is an excellent prep for the big one. I don't think CONCACAF qualifying has the same pressure. So, we need to play Mexico as many times as possible for the confidence boost and then challenge some of the best teams in the world to play world class competition.

Plus, it is fun to listen to the English taunt us when secretly they are worried...;)

7. Prime Time

Prime Time Member

May 1, 2004
    South Florida
    May 26th, hurry up!

8. Brandinho

Brandinho Member

None
    United States
    Feb 22, 2007
    New Jersey
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The USSF has definitely been trying hard to give the USA the best competition to train against for the World Cup but I do have one problem. What exactly went on from June 23, 2006 to January 19, 2007?

9. Beazley17

Beazley17 Member

Dec 30, 2006
    South Florida
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I guess trying to get up off their azzez, and stop feelinf sorry and stunned about the 2006 disaster.:rolleyes: Just my guess. Anyways, the USSF is really scheduling some tough competition, and it's great. Isnt it on the 28th anyways?

10. Prime Time

Prime Time Member

May 1, 2004
    South Florida
    Oh yes, you're right. My bad!