Kudos to Kate Margraf

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by thegamesthatrate, Jul 8, 2019.

1. thegamesthatrate

Jan 9, 2007
    On one of the post-game interviews, she was asked if Rapinoe was one of the five best American women's soccer players of all time. She had the presence to give an analytical response that did not give in to the whirl of the moment.

Markgraf's current list is Akers, Solo, Hamm, Wambach and Overbeck and she said this tournament did not change that.

Of course, Lilly, Fawcett and perhaps Lloyd are contenders for top five status as well. Some might suggest Heather O'Reilly and Danielle Slaton be included. By the time Ertz and Roselle finish playing, they might mention consideration. I'm sure some other names merit consideration as well.

It's not a dis on Rapinoe. She deserves careful consideration if one is putting together an all-time starting US XI. But I respect Markgraf for sticking to her integrity of opinion and not giving in to the moment.

MiLLeNNiuM, CoachJon and Glove Stinks repped this.
  2. jackdoggy

jackdoggy Member+

May 16, 2014
    Big D
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you google the words “greatest” and “list” .......The Great Joy Fawcett will be noted on the first 100 pages of results.

MiLLeNNiuM repped this.
  3. PacmanJr_00

PacmanJr_00 Member

Aug 29, 2010
    Club:
    Southampton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hard to argue with her list, that is for sure.

MiLLeNNiuM repped this.
  4. Airox

Airox Member

Mar 14, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I find the question hilarous. Rapinoe was terrible this whole tournament. She did a great job of finishing pks that her teammates earned. And that's about it.

5. thegamesthatrate

Jan 9, 2007
    It is easy to argue, but it is a credible and defensible list.