Kuba Błaszczykowski to Chicago Fire

Discussion in 'Chicago Fire' started by milicz, Jun 14, 2017.

1. loonixxx

loonixxx Member+

Chicago Red Stars
    Aug 28, 2004
    Soccer Limbo
    Club:
    Jagiellonia Bialystok SSA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I honestly have no idea how long Hull has him under contract but since they've been relegated, I can't imagine he wants to stay in the English Championship if he wants to secure a spot for the World Cup on the National Team.

2. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Northern Wisconsin, but not far from civilization
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    True.
    A couple of weeks ago it was reported that Newcastle and West Ham United (and Watford) were considering him. I haven't read anything lately, thought.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/west-ham-ready-fight-newcastle-10550328

3. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    I don't have a beef with him if this is his decision. I also would feel comfortable saying, "move on" to the Fire. They have a real chance to win THIS YEAR. So, they need to make any moves as early in the summer window as they can to get someone in and training with the team during the Gold Cup break so there is not that dreaded "time to adjust to his new team mates" period we always hear about. From my point of view, he (like Schweinsteiger) is a bit of a risk at his age, but one worth taking. If they have to wait until the next window, it becomes more risky. I fully respect his decision, but the Fire need to look out for themselves. Make the offer to come now, but don't leave it open. If you wait until after the WC, and I would think you would have to since they won't make their final decisions until late May or early June next year, then at best you have a completely spent, older winger coming sometime in August 2018. Your focus should be in the here and now.

splunge63 repped this.
  4. Der Stich

Der Stich Member+

May 3, 2005
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    [​IMG]

5. splunge63

splunge63 Member+

Mar 30, 2014
    west burbs
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Quoted for truth. Spot on, IMO.

6. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    I think this is right, but the league needs to start changing that perception itself. In part, don't be a league that offers a 31 year old a contract, and then wait for him until he is ready to come here. Offer. Accept/reject. Move on. While I personally like going out to watch BS and Kaka on Saturday, the league is definitely better served by signing players like Giovinco and Almiron in their primes. Giovinco also missed out on the Euros because his coach is biased against MLS, but he has so far thumbed his nose at the national team and remains in MLS. More and more good young players will change the perception. I'm not sure if the Fire can even keep Accam, but if they can, and he makes the WC team (and maybe even plays a key role), then other countries will have to take notice. Particularly countries like Poland that are not at the top of the soccer world pyramid (and please, don't quote me FIFA rankings. :) ).

7. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    So is this thread going to end up like the Drogba one?

8. pena pirata

pena pirata Member+

Sep 28, 2013
    Batavia
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Drogba who?

HomietheClown repped this.
  9. sportscrazed2

sportscrazed2 Member+

Jul 30, 2008
    Mordor, Middle Earth
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Jiggly_333 repped this.
  10. loonixxx

loonixxx Member+

Chicago Red Stars
    Aug 28, 2004
    Soccer Limbo
    Club:
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's actually tearing it up in the USL for Phoenix in the games he's played so far. They have a the trio of Shaun Wright-Phillips, Drogba and Omar Bravo up front. That's pretty potent in that league.

Jiggly_333 repped this.
  11. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    [​IMG]

12. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    I'd pay to see that.

Red and White 97, SixKick and bunge repped this.
  13. FireJuveChelsea

Dec 7, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago Fire

One of the greatest movies ever haha

Der Stich repped this.
  14. Der Stich

Der Stich Member+

May 3, 2005
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
  15. Simon James

Simon James New Member

Manchester United
    England
    Jun 27, 2017
    This has been an often mooted deterrent for premier league, or European based players moving to the MLS. Supported by multiple International team managers saying it would hurt a players chances of being selected.

That's an over simplification. It's not a snobbery issue. It's a reflection that international managers want their players to be as sharp as possible come tournament time. The WC or the EC, for example, is played at the highest level, and naturally you want your players tuned to performing at that level. The MLS is seen as somewhere around Championship or League One level, to give an English example. This is some way short of the match standards required. Coaches tend to shy away from plucking players from that level, to throw them into top level international competition. Especially when they have other options. There are also questions asked about the ongoing competitive mentality of an aging star moving to the MLS. And it is widely seen as soft landing into retirement. This doesn't particularly appeal to national team managers either.

You can easily see the gulf in quality between the respective levels. Schweinsteiger, for example, looked absolutely finished as a player two seasons ago at Utd. Honestly, looked like he could barely run, and the pace of the league was just overwhelming for him. Last season he hardly played a game, and when he did come on, looked positively geriatric. Everyone knew he'd end up moving to the MLS or China, as he was done at the top level. Lo and behold, he moved to the MLS, and is comfortably one of the best players in the league. But he had retired from International duty, and was really just playing for money and shits and giggles at this point. Kuba will likely wait until after the WC, because he is still an active NT player.

The only way it is going to change, is through a dramatic elevation in quality in the league. I don't think managers abroad have anything inherently against US Soccer, it's merely a practical assessment of professional standards. For what it is worth, the league is moving in the right direction.

GHjelm repped this.
  16. Simon James

Simon James New Member

Manchester United
    England
    Jun 27, 2017
    With all due respect, mate, it's not bias against the MLS. As I said before it is purely an assessment of quality. If Italy were struggling for quality, then they'd probably call Giovinco up, but they aren't. They have plenty of talent to pick from. The fact is, that Giovinco has been picked for Italy while at Toronto, but ultimately..at the top level...he's just not that good. Conte made clear that players moving to the MLS might suffer footballing consequences, and by that he's referring to the immersion in lower quality competitions.

I definitely agree with the idea that the league needs to focus on bringing in younger talent and players in their prime, to generally raise the overall standards; but it's going to be tough. If they player in question is really of a high standard, and in form, he's going to be coveted by teams across Europe, and is not moving to the MLS. So that leaves young talent with high potential which can be nurtured, and prime career talents who are going through bad patches and need a career launch elsewhere. In either circumstances, if the players live up to their potential, they are going to get snapped up by bigger foreign teams after just a year or two in the league. Giovinco, looked very promising as a youngster, and had a few career high points; but was ultimately seen as a benchwarming journey man. Moving to the MLS, I think he has found his level, and it's been a great move for him. He is a superstar over here, and I imagine he's very happy. But it's not going to win him any professional plaudits back home.

Personally, I think a good model for the MLS to follow would be something like the Portuguese league. A league which focuses on attracting the best young south american talents, and grooming them for transfers to the top European leagues. The route to improving the league is almost certainly not through being a retirement home for washed up South American and European pros. All that does is solidify MLS' status as a third or fourth tier competition.

17. bunge

bunge BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 24, 2000
    Go ******** yourself with a rubber dick, mate.

18. Simon James

Simon James New Member

Manchester United
    England
    Jun 27, 2017
    I'm reading between the lines here, but I take it you don't agree.

Red and White 97 and bunge repped this.
  19. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    It is not that.

You just come off as an incredibly smug asshole who presumes that we don't already know basically everything you posted.

Your posts are long, boring and not really worth the effort to read (I imagine as I skipped through most of them).

There is no need to lecture us as to the quality of play in MLS v. other leagues. We are well are aware of the differences.

Don't be a condesending prick and people won't throw "rubber dick" at you (metaphorically, of course. Rubber dick is to precious a commodity to throw at you. You are not a New Zealand politician or a presenter on Top Gear, right?)

20. loonixxx

loonixxx Member+

Chicago Red Stars
    Aug 28, 2004
    Soccer Limbo
    Club:
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just lost a lot of brain cells reading "the MLS" too many times. Someone send help.

21. Simon James

Simon James New Member

Manchester United
    England
    Jun 27, 2017
    Except if people were so aware of everything I posted, then they wouldn't be asking why playing in the MLS would affect Kuba selection for Poland. And that is what I was responding too. Your inferiority complex is really shining through here. It seems like people in this forum quickly result to throwing insults, when somebody posts an unpopular opinion.

22. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Where is the "ball sucking" dude when you need him.

23. bunge

bunge BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 24, 2000
    One person asked that and you didn't even reply to that person so you're full of shit. Go ahead and reply to them.

You're a ********ing moran.

Der Stich and xtomx repped this.
  24. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    1. It is not "The" MLS. Just stop it.
    2. We are all aware of the concern.
    Go away.

25. lethargytartare

lethargytartare Member+

Oct 2, 2000
    Magrathea, Horsehead Nebula
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    your superiority complex is the issue, and trust me when I say noone here gives a fvck what someone listing ManU as their club has to say about MLS.

Have a snack

[​IMG]

and GTFO

bunge, loonixxx and xtomx repped this.