Rumor: Kraft to Build Soccer Specific Stadium in Foxborough?

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by bwidell, Feb 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bwidell

bwidell Member+

Apr 19, 2005
    Manchester, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not that I believe this one bit, but I figured I would pass this along:
    http://www.mls-rumors.net/6386/2010/02/report-krafts-to-build-soccer-specific-stadium-in-foxborough/

2. G Enriquez

G Enriquez Member+

Apr 1, 2002
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't believe the rumour. Isn't one of the main complaints about
    playing at Gillete the distance people have to drive to the games(about an
    hour outside of Boston).

3. ChicagoFC (FireClub)

Jan 25, 2009
    Logan Square
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    that was the reason I got from soccer fans I knew while living in Boston. If you're in your twenties, you'd have better luck pouring your money into watching premier league games on weekends at phoenix landing, then finding someone with a car who is willing to trek halfway to providence to watch a game.

It works if you have a large contingent, in order to rotate designated drivers, but even that would take commitment to do more than twice a year. Whereas taking a bus or train would be simple.

4. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    if this is true, then Kraft soccer has truely learned nothing. After the novelty wears off they will get 12k in a 25k stadium instead of 12k in a 68k stadium. No closer public transit to bring more folks in, no closer to the masses......

5. JMMUSA8

JMMUSA8 New Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Webster
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This goes against everything the Revs FO have said about building a stadium. I don't expect this rumor to come true.

6. Argyle

Argyle Member

Jan 31, 2002
    Plymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's one reason not to believe it.
    Personally, I also like the phrase "permits are being finalized this week." Trust me, it's not that simple.

But this is MLS Rumors we're talking about, and they print anything.
    In fact, I wonder which wise-ass on this board sent this in?

7. Straps

Straps Member

Nov 7, 2005
    I actually would believe it. I cannot believe that after building all those stores, hotel, restaurants that he would want to build a stadium far away. He wants people to shop at his stores. I think that if the season tickets were limited to 25,000 then people would be more likely to buy season tickets to insure they have a seat.

8. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly. This is the same site that told us the Revs were moving to Hartford a year ago. :rolleyes:

If there are indeed no other towns/cities involved in serious discussions with the Revs, the FO is full of crap because they said specifically they were waiting to develop an urban stadium plan with accessibility, etc at the forefront. When that would be was anyone's guess, but at least it showed they weren't going to waste time and resources and jump in to build one in Foxboro.

9. Minutemanii

Minutemanii Member+

Dec 29, 2005
    Abington MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Still, even if this is totally bogus, I wouldn't be one bit surprized if the SSS eventually ends up in F'Boro. I started to get suspicious of this when Kraft wanted his footbridge to nowhere over Rt.1.

Of course, I would prefer Somerville but if that can't happen, I would love a SSS in Foxboro. The crowds would be bigger than Gillette. Of that you can be sure of. There is no need for me to list why. You all know why.

To the people who whine about transportation, I say, if you want to go there badly enough, you'll find a way. The Patriots prove that theory out time after time.

Also, the idea of a Soccer HOF there is very intriging to me and if true could be a stroke of genius.

10. USRevolution2010

USRevolution2010 New Member

Oct 8, 2009
    Lowell
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. NHFootyFan

NHFootyFan Member

May 28, 2007
    Outside Concord NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    would take

1 person likes this.
  12. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    It's 20 miles. Non-rush hour, it's a breeze to get to. Unless of course, 60K other people are trying to get there at the same time (but Revs' fans don't have that problem).

Rush hour, yeah an hour probably - but it's hard to imagine that it wouldn't take *most* fans an hour+ to get to a stadium during rush hour, no matter where it is in the Greater Boston area.
    And, if it were that close, it would have been impossible to keep it a secret up to this point.

13. KevTheGooner

KevTheGooner Help that poor man!

Dec 10, 1999
    THOF
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Andorra
    "Permits are being finalized"

What does that mean? That phrase right there makes the whole story pretty fishy.

14. KaptPowers

KaptPowers Member

Dec 29, 2003
    Arlington, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As previously mentioned, this flies in the face of everything the FO has said recently about a stadium.

Just a refresher:

15. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm with you. If you go back a few years when all the plans for the many things the Krafts were going to build besides the Razor there was a lot of talk about the Krafts putting the SSS on land they owned in Foxboro.

Even though there is very strong argument to put the SSS in the City the reality is that could take years and years and like DCU never come to pass. Krafts are building a city in Foxboro. Stores, hotels and lots of infra structure is already in place. Add rail service or another type of public transport and it fit into most of the criteria. I see a small stadium with atmosphere almost as important as an in city location (and for someone like me who comes from away--Foxboro is more convenient) When you add in the other factors---he already owns the land and with the added business, HOF et al into the mix I see the business model making sense.

This may not be true but if it is I think it's a stupendous idea and the best soccer news I've heard in years.

16. JMMUSA8

JMMUSA8 New Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Webster
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry Doc, I gotta disagree with you on this one. As much as its a pain for me to go into the city, I'd still want the Revs stadium to be in Boston. At least then I can make a full day out of it.

And as Seamus pointed out, this goes against everything the Revs FO has put out there with their approach to building a stadium. I don't see this happening.

17. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ---but if any group could keep such a plan secret I think the Krafts could. :D Also, since they supposedly already own the land and they truly are deeply entrenched in Foxboro and City Officials I can see, if they felt it in their best interest, that all of the this could have been handled very quietly so as to avoid even a minor speed bump.

18. Straps

Straps Member

Nov 7, 2005
    The Revs FO may have been saying this... but sometimes you have to say one thing to accomplish another. Maybe now they can say "We researched all avenues including Somerville but in the end it was not feezable and therefore we are going to build it on land that we currently own".

19. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If it's the Boston Revolution your statement has traction. If it's the New England Revolution a Stadium in Foxboro with the major highways almost to the door has traction. Your thinking what will serve you well. The Krafts need to think what will serve their business model best. I know for someone whose not from Boston I would likely not go to games if the Stadium was in the City.

I agree, this would clearly be a change in direction from what Kraft Central was putting out. I could opine a lot of reasons why they would change their minds but that really would serve little purpose.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Sure is fun to contemplate

20. Weber King

Weber King Member

Sep 28, 2001
    North Andover, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This "rumor" sounds like someone, obstensibly a Revs fan, sent in this email as a means of trying to flush out KSG into making a comment on the SSS situation. Nothing more.

I give no credence to this rumor whatsoever.

21. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I stopped reading when I saw MLS-Rumors...

22. NHFootyFan

NHFootyFan Member

May 28, 2007
    Outside Concord NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    The only thing that keeps this from being complete B.S. is that this scenario is probably far and away the single easiest way for the Krafts to get a S.S.S built.

Whether it's desirable or not is an entirely separate question.

Any connection of this hypothetical scenario to actual reality is well, hey, there's space on the Boston Common!

23. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Underneath the Common Sir! The stadium will come up from underground on game day!

24. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed. I don't believe the rumor based on the timing, but I can see it happening some day.

The Revs won't generate foot traffic for Patriot Place if they are playing in Boston.

25. brduvel

brduvel New Member

Nov 2, 2005
    The Republik
    And Big Soccer comes full circle.

Oh look, is that Figo over there?