Koumas Staying!!! (I hope...)

Discussion in 'West Bromwich Albion' started by DevilDave, Apr 25, 2003.

1. DevilDave

DevilDave Member

West Bromwich Albion/RBNY/PSG/Gamba Osaka/Sac Republic
    United States
    Sep 29, 2001
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    West Bromwich Albion FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Recent reports suggest Jason Koumas is willing to stay another season at the Albion while the Baggies are back in the Nationwide. Definitely a good thing.

HOWEVER, if he continues to develop as a player and the Albion don't pose a serious challenge to bounce back to the Prem next year (or even if they do), other clubs will no doubt come round with chequebooks at the ready.

And besides, wasn't Koumas swearing his loyalty to Tranmere Rovers when the Baggies tried to pry him away last season?

Being at a Premiership club will help to develop his skills, and the Welsh lad will likely seek such an opportunity if Albion aren't looking good to become one again in 2004.

2. DevilDave

DevilDave Member

West Bromwich Albion/RBNY/PSG/Gamba Osaka/Sac Republic
    United States
    Sep 29, 2001
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    West Bromwich Albion FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it's a bit funny to give out awards before the season has ended, but I'm no less proud Jason has earned this particular honour.

Between the time I started this thread almost four years ago until now, I was pretty hard on Koumas because of a perceived lack of commitment to our club, particularly after he and Bryan Robson had a falling out, and he spent most of last season with Cardiff. I'm happy to say that my opinion of him has turned round this season, given his effort and performances.