Kouassi signed

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by patfan1, Feb 1, 2016.

1. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like what many speculated was happening ... has.

Keeping this as a separate thread from the Roster thread.

694190023072047104 is not a valid tweet id

VTSoccerFan, ToMhIlL and dncm repped this.
  2. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kyle with a sly dig at this...

VTSoccerFan and dncm repped this.
  3. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am actually amazed that this is the guy. I realize that his highlight video shows the "best of," but I have to say he looked really good on both sides of the ball.

So the "reduced DP budget" that Kyle is referring to is the half-year contract? Let's say they sign him for $500,000 for a year, the half-year is $250k, so the above-cap hit would be only $87,500? Certainly they could use some form of TAM or regular allocation money to pay that down. Is that how it would work?

Of course, in every announcement it will have the standard line "Per MLS policy, terms of the agreement were not disclosed."

4. dncm

dncm Member+

Apr 22, 2003
    Boston
    The Jones train has left the building (unless they are trying some savvy way to sign Jones only till June).

Don't know if he brings the goods that Jones did to come in mid season, dominate, and have the same affect with his new teammates and locker room. But at least they took action on something.

How will Heaps integrate him - will it be a straight Jones swap and we stay with 4-2-3-1. (But then what about our forwards??)

5. a517dogg

a517dogg Member+

Oct 30, 2005
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Kouassi looks like a very good player. This looks to be a really good signing by the Revs. Good job by them. This has the makings of a decent offseason, aside from the mutual bungling by Jones and the Revs regarding their situation.

RevsLiverpool repped this.
  6. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. Mike Marshall

Mike Marshall Member+

Feb 16, 2000
    Woburn, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed with Tom... mostly. I like some of the qualities I saw in the video. He clearly can win the ball in the midfield, he covers a ton of ground, it looks like he has a lot of pace, he can pass the ball, and it looks like he's good in tight spaces.

My biggest concern at this point is that the center of the park for the Revs is extremely small and slight. Kouassi is 5-8, 155, Caldwell is 5-8, 150, and Lee Nguyen is 5-8, 150. Worried we could struggle on set pieces against some of the bigger teams in the league.

8. SamSam

SamSam Member

Feb 26, 2009
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can't they just sign him for whatever dollars as a DP and have the rest of the league pay anything over $500,000?

9. teskicks

teskicks Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Jan 14, 2002
    Wrentham, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. MLSFan123

MLSFan123 Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Boston Area
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No*. The league only pays up to the dp cap hit, which last year was $436,250.

Any amount over the cap hit is the responsibility of the local owner.

*This assumes no alloc money being used.

11. MLSFan123

MLSFan123 Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Boston Area
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here is the rule from last year

In 2015, a Designated Player over the age of 23** will carry a salary budget charge of $436,250, unless the player joins his club after the opening of the Secondary Transfer Window, in which case his budget charge will be $218,125.

I think we know they are not using any alloc money for this since he is being termed a dp. There is no reason to use alloc money on a player like this unless you want to buy him down under the dp cap hit and since he is termed a DP we know they are not planning that.

We also know his salary is north of the dp cap hit (what ever that will be for 2016) since this is a free transfer.

12. MLSFan123

MLSFan123 Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Boston Area
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am interested to see his salary. I figure it can't be too high because he does not fit the "tick all boxes" kind of player. I am guessing in the 600-800 range.

The optimist in me hopes that they are saving the TAM for another similar priced player and will buy that player down.

13. CottageRev

CottageRev Member+

Jun 13, 2010
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    I'm happy with the player, but I'm curious why he's not coming to until the summer. Sion I've read have been in financial trouble for a few years now - they would probably accept a reasonable transfer fee/contract buyout to get Kouassi off the books.

This is a bit of a dig at the Revs' well-known frugality, but I'm curious if it's player preference.

Also, are the Revs ever going to use that TAM money? It's league-mandated to use it!

14. abecedarian

abecedarian Member+

Mar 25, 2009
    SSSomerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who's the other Dmid till then? I'm guessing it's Neumann!

15. a517dogg

a517dogg Member+

Oct 30, 2005
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Neumann, Kobayashi, Herivaux, or hell maybe Farrell or Sambinha. Or even Rowe. My guess it's Kobayashi's job for as long as his lungs/legs take him into the game.

16. dncm

dncm Member+

Apr 22, 2003
    Boston
    One thing to note - Kouassi is not a goalscoring midfielder, and only limited assists (something that people harped on Jones for this year).

I wonder if Heaps is thinking of changing formation this year without Jones (and the rumor regarding Fagundez) - maybe more like a 4-3-3 or 4-2-2-2 or even a 3-5-2.

All comes down to what is happening with Davies and Agudelo. in Heaps' eyes.

Big year for Mr Heaps - he scouted 2 players and lost a key one (so far). One is not coming till mid year. How does he handle?

RevsLiverpool repped this.
  17. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    Hopefully we'll foul less frequently in the attacking zone! A younger, quicker, more positionally conservative dmid is less likely to get caught upfield as often.
    I know you said "mutual", but I don't know that the Revs bungled anything. I think Jones was just demanding more than made sense (if he weren't, there would be interest from within MLS).
    The current roster is deepest and strongest (IMO) in defenders and midfielders, so I don't think Heaps is going to be looking to get more forwards on the field. I think he's going to be looking to get more scoring from his midfielders (and defenders, occasionally).

18. a517dogg

a517dogg Member+

Oct 30, 2005
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    The Revs could easily give Jones an out by making him count as a DP this season as well. A front-loaded multi-year contract ($1.5 million this year, $250k in '17, '18) would avoid the potential of having a lot of cap space tied up on an aging player beyond this season, and would still allow Jones to save face and come here happy and motivated. The Revs would be "giving up" a DP slot that they likely wouldn't be using anyways (they still have two empty ones), and .0001% of Kraft's personal wealth.

19. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    1) we don't know that Jones would have gone for that (he was insisting on a 4 year deal)
    2) that kind of contract is very problematic. The Sox gave John Lackey a deal like that and the concern is that once he got to the low-paying year, why would he be motivated to play as hard as he had for multi-millions. And, what is to stop him from holding out, since he'd already have pocketed the lion's share of the contract?

20. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

dncm repped this.
  21. dncm

dncm Member+

Apr 22, 2003
    Boston
    Interesting - he joined Sion in July 2013. Do we know if he renegotiated once? Did the club try and sign him so he would not leave on a free, did he say he was playing out, or they could not come to an agreement?

And for the right transfer price - the would have let the "vital" player go.

I am slightly getting concerned with all these adjectives to make us love this guy - it is starting to feel a little forced. Is it because we have to wait for the summer?

I will pay attention to next Europa league game though.

22. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know any more than anyone else here about this guy, but he seems like a key player for them. If the Captain of the team is not considered "vital," then who is? Sion are in the midst of the Europa League, so it makes sense from their POV to keep the player as long as they can.

It would be as if someone made a midsummer offer for Nguyen that we couldn't refuse, but we would want to keep him until the end of the playoffs, wouldn't we?

Yeah, I would have preferred to have him at the start of the season, but that is always going to be an issue.

Revs in 2010 repped this.
  23. gmboy95

gmboy95 Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Norton, Ma.
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am beginning to come to the conclusion that there really is no other marriage that makes sense then the Revs and Jones...Heaps recent comments not withstanding...a 6 game suspension coupled with a dwindling European season makes it ALMOST, in my opinion, a foregone conclusion

24. gmboy95

gmboy95 Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Norton, Ma.
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Then the question comes in what will the strategy be moving forward....I will say this, Jones brings some size and attitude to what would be a tiny midfield...in fact I think the midfield as now constituted may be a serious concern going forward. There is no one there right now that can really assert their will

25. goussoccer

goussoccer Member+

May 23, 2001
    Avon, CT
    If get Jones for a half year stop gap, we will only have him for 8 of the 14 games before Kouassi arrives. Even if it was for a full season, I still don't see JJ coming back to the Revs.

I REALLY hate this 'our big signing comes to the team late' situation that the Revs seem to ALWAYS have. So, now the Front Office can tell us they've solved the problem and then we need to wait for the player to 'integrate' into the team and before you know it, we are in the last quarter of the season before we know if the problem is solved or not. They get a free pass for over half the season based upon a possibility. Still sucks.

I hope Kouassi is the person we are looking for, but this is going to a be a long first half of the season. I look around and I just don't see us getting better as quickly as the rest of the league.

pwykes and rkane1226 repped this.