Korean Youth Players Abroad Part II

Discussion in 'Korean Players Abroad' started by jsk14, Sep 11, 2013.

1. Steven511

Steven511 Member

Jeonbuk FC
    South Korea
    Apr 1, 2017
    LSW wasn't an automatic starter for Juvenil A and he's supposed to beat out Aubameyang, Dembele, Reus, Pulisic, Schurrle, and Ramos?

2. zdrstvte

zdrstvte Member+

Aug 27, 2012
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Also quite surprised by the lack of discussions/news around Paik. Paik's contract also runs out next year, and again no news of a contract renewal. And more immediately, given that Barcelona B will be restricted to registering only two non-EU players in the Segunda Division, Paik may also be looking at an exit now. Obviously anything is possible, but a player who made the bench only 6 times this season and played a total of 16 minutes does not sound like a prime candidate to keep.

3. zdrstvte

zdrstvte Member+

Aug 27, 2012
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    #2928 zdrstvte, Jun 21, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2017
    http://www.mundodeportivo.com/futbol/fc-barcelona/20170621/423573711672/vitinho-barca.html

Barcelona B close to signing Vitinho on loan from Palmeiras for the next season. If they sign him, Barcelona B will fill out their non-EU quota with Marlon Santos and Vitinho for the next season.

On the bright side, Barcelona is now trying to set up their Barcelona 'C' team by taking over a Segunda Division B (Spanish third division) team (Gavà or Llagostera). This could allow Paik and Lee to stay and actually get a chance to play in Spain, even if it's for the C team which is better than nothing.

4. takeuchi

takeuchi Member+

Jan 20, 2013
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    i can't see Lee SW staying with Barca just to play for Barca C. Paik on the other hand.. have no idea what his plans are.

5. zdrstvte

zdrstvte Member+

Aug 27, 2012
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    I can. It could make sense. Remaining in an environment that he has trained in for the past few years would definitely be a plus. Also he knows the teammates and the coaches, all the while allowing him to keep up the media profile as a 'La Masia youth'.

6. takeuchi

takeuchi Member+

Jan 20, 2013
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    i think he ... well, definitely his EU agent is smart enough to know.. playing for Barca C will be the death of his career. it doesn't make any sense for him to play for Barca C, not to mention.. doubt his relationship w/ Barca front office is good atm. btw, his korean representatives need to STFU... constantly defending him in Korean press.

Dax repped this.
  7. zdrstvte

zdrstvte Member+

Aug 27, 2012
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Is it? It's still a step-up from youth football and would not be different from him playing for other reserve teams.

Well, it's more than just a footballing issue for Lee. He's built up a huge following in Korea thanks to his profile as a 'Korean in La Masia'. He's better known than most Korean NT players due to his media exposure thanks to his title.

They have to do it. Like I said before, Lee, unlike most youth players, has secured big endorsements thanks to his media fame. They have to spin it as if he is the one rejecting Barcelona B and not the other way around, as that would not reflect well for his media reputation and sponsors.

8. takeuchi

takeuchi Member+

Jan 20, 2013
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    It is. Nothing good comes out of playing for C teams. Agents are greedy & selfish creatures. If they can generate a move .. a transfer, they make money out of it. I'm positive they will take full advantage of the current situation. Also, if Lee SW gets promoted to senior KNT through a transfer (possibly for 1st team football), his brand will only increase in Korea.

edit - also, once he moves.. it will be w/ 1st team contract & for 1st team football.

9. zdrstvte

zdrstvte Member+

Aug 27, 2012
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Sure. But like I said there are other motivations for Lee to stay too.

It's a huge IF. Whereas if he stays at Barcelona C, he could still spin a story so that he could stay a media/sponsor darling with more certainty.

Also, non-footballing matters aside, Barcelona C would be coached by someone who knows Lee well, and it could act as a good transition for him into senior football.

A senior contract. They won't give him any guarantees, especially at the bigger clubs that his agents are supposedly talking about.

10. takeuchi

takeuchi Member+

Jan 20, 2013
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    would it? i think it will be huge negative on Lee SWs resume... and would be far more difficult for him to stay as media/sponsor darling. will be viewed as "failure" imo if he opts to stay when there are reports other clubs are interested in him as 1st team player.

11. zdrstvte

zdrstvte Member+

Aug 27, 2012
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Obviously not as directly as I put it. Something like 'Lee will be in the promised land soon... baby steps, etc... waiting to be the next star from La Masia', and something in the lines of that.

Like I said before: it's just a senior contract. They won't give him any guarantees, especially at the bigger clubs that his agents are supposedly talking about. Alexander Isak has been confined to playing for BVBII when he signed a senior contract for BVB, for example.

12. takeuchi

takeuchi Member+

Jan 20, 2013
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    It all depends on how he adapts to 1st team football. He has to earn the mins of course...
    As for Isak, unfortunately for him.. Tuchel didn't know who he was when BvB signed him nor knew he would be signed.

13. Fector

Fector Red Card

Jeonbuk FC
    Timor-Leste
    Jun 6, 2017
    Barcelona C folded in 2007, right? Currently the only non-youth reserve team for Barcelona is the B team.

14. Hodori

Hodori Member+

Aug 12, 2010
    I see no upside in Korea for LSW to stay at Barca if he can't break into Barca B. His brand value would plummet given his age. He's at an age where he needs to find first team football and start playing for the KNT. Otherwise, he's going to stagnate and disappear from the national spotlight within the year.

Both BSH and LSW can no longer hide behind the excuse of the ban. SHM was already producing at their age. They need to get decent first team football and get their careers on track.

I think their respects agents are looking at it from the same view point.

12th Player repped this.
  15. Steven511

Steven511 Member

Jeonbuk FC
    South Korea
    Apr 1, 2017
    Doubtful, that's like saying your the cool 20 year old frat star but decided to stay another year when your 24. I get what your saying in terms of the media but that's in the past. 2018 WC is a bigger stage than Barca C, in order to be on the plane he needs to play 1st team football, especially now that he's almost 20...

16. Steven511

Steven511 Member

Jeonbuk FC
    South Korea
    Apr 1, 2017
    On LSW's instagram a lot of Schalke fans are hounding him to come to their club. Wouldn't be the worst thing. He definitely should not go to Dortmund or any EPL team.

17. zdrstvte

zdrstvte Member+

Aug 27, 2012
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Read my previous posts.

18. takeuchi

takeuchi Member+

Jan 20, 2013
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
  19. 12th Player

12th Player Member+

Nov 3, 2009
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Palestine
    Agreed. Any of the top leagues would be okay as long as they will have a fair shot at getting first-team minutes. This would probably rule out the Premier League.

20. zdrstvte

zdrstvte Member+

Aug 27, 2012
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Apparently Lee would prefer to stay in the system, whether it is at Barcelona B or Barcelona C. However, given that Barcelona B is about to sign Vitinho for the next season, Lee would be ineligible for Barcelona B, leading to one probable answer, which is Barcelona C.

http://www.mundodeportivo.com/futbo...uir-contrato-fc-barcelona-filial-ofertas.html

Yes, for any avid football fan. But for those who don't follow football, the media spin may still work.

21. Chingoo

Chingoo Member+

Feb 10, 2010
    You'll never play alongside Messi and Neymar. gtfo 병신아

22. takeuchi

takeuchi Member+

Jan 20, 2013
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    better to ignore reports from Spain imo (too much conjecture.. especially from Mundo). Lee SW is in Korea.... I'm sure Korean press has a better idea of what he wants to do atm.

however, it is clear Lee SW prefers to stay w/ Barca based on his recent interview. sounds like he is willing to play for Barca B but I seriously doubt he wants to stick around for Barca C. i'm sure we will find out more next week once he returns to Spain.

23. zdrstvte

zdrstvte Member+

Aug 27, 2012
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Who knows. He wasted years to just stay at La Masia. For him, Barcelona C may be the next step up. Also, don't forget many of his Juvenil A teammates will be playing with him in Barcelona C.

24. takeuchi

takeuchi Member+

Jan 20, 2013
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    #2949 takeuchi, Jun 23, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2017

if you are referring to years he was banned, well.. that's a tough choice for him & one we can argue for few days imo as his only option was a return to Korea.

if you are referring to past yr he was w/ Juvie A (while playing few Barca B games), I don't see that as years he wasted at all. he was right to stay, regain his match fitness and etc. if he moved for 1st team football after years of irregular football, that would have been the end of his career imo.

edit - also, not sure majority of his juvie A teammates will be playing for Barca C. it could be new roster while his close friends (Alena) are w/ Barca B.

edit #2 - literally, 0 benefit for Lee SW to play w/ Barca C... likewise for Paik SH. if he gets demoted, he should leave the club. Jang GH is the only one who would benefit by joining Barca C..

25. zdrstvte

zdrstvte Member+

Aug 27, 2012
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Obviously I'm referring to the time while he was banned. Wasted his developmental years needlessly just for the sake of branding.

One of the main reason for making Barcelona C is to allow more Juvenil A players to stay. The promoted Barcelona B squad will retain their players while adding some from the market, like Vitinho and Borja Iglesias.