Korean NT - who will be the new defenders

Discussion in 'Korea' started by CL39, Jan 2, 2003.

1. CL39

CL39 New Member

Dec 17, 2002
    Los Angeles
    What do you think about young defenders who will be in future Korean NT? Are there good prospects? All the new young players making the news are midfielders or strikers, which is all good but I hope we got some solid defenders for the future. Hong obviously gone and KimTaeYong and Choi JinChul both probably too old for the next WC (and maybe this AC as well). Hope we got some good replacements.

2. Arlyn Jayde

Arlyn Jayde New Member

Sep 6, 2002
    Jakarta, Indonesia
    How about some from the U-20 team. Didn't they just win the AFC U-20 title in Qatar? (If I'm wrong, please feel free to correct me).

From the recent Asian Games squad, I'd go for Park Dong-Hyuk. He is a defender, isn't he? I remember that he scored twice, though.

3. Korea_Fighting

Korea_Fighting Red Card

Jun 17, 2002
    Good point AJ.

Here are some promising defenders from U-20 and U-23 squad:

From U-20 squad:

PARK, JU-SUNG
    [​IMG]
    181 cm, 67 kg

KIM, JIN-KYU
    [​IMG]
    184cm, 74kg

4. Korea_Fighting

Korea_Fighting Red Card

Jun 17, 2002
    IM, YOO-HWAN
    [​IMG]
    183cm, 75kg

YEO, HYO-JIN
    [​IMG]
    190cm, 75kg

From U-20 squad I think Park Ju-Sung, Im Yoo-Hwan and Yeo Hyo-Jin are very promising defender. All others are very good players also.

Park Ju-Sung can also play in midfield position as well, I think. If my memory is correct Park Ju-Sung scored a spectacular freekick goal against Argentina in U-20 friendly.

5. Korea_Fighting

Korea_Fighting Red Card

Jun 17, 2002
    From U-23 squad:

JO, SUNG-HWAN
    [​IMG]
    183cm 75kg

JO, BYUNG-GUK
    [​IMG]
    183cm 78kg

6. Korea_Fighting

Korea_Fighting Red Card

Jun 17, 2002
    PARK, DONG-HYUK
    [​IMG]
    185cm 78kg

KIM, YOUNG-CHUL
    [​IMG]
    183cm 80kg

7. Korea_Fighting

Korea_Fighting Red Card

Jun 17, 2002
    PARK, YONG-HO
    [​IMG]
    182cm 70kg

PARK, YO-SEB
    [​IMG]
    183cm 75kg

I think Jo, Byung-Guk and Park, Yo-Seb are promising players. All other U-23 players are also good players. However in my opinion U-20 defenders actually have better physical attributes as a defender. By the age of 23 they will have grown a bit more taller and would have built up more. Very odd.

8. Korean Football

Korean Football New Member

Apr 21, 2001
    U.S.
    it seems like our U20 defenders look brighter than the U23 defenders when talking about potential. However, we can't just bring in a bunch of 20 year olds to our NT. It's just not gonna work that easily. We're gonna need the "linking bridges" between the old possible defenders of WC2006 and the young ones.

I think Sang-chul Yoo could stay up until WC2006. He'll be 35 by 2006 but unless his physical condition drops rapidly, he'll be ok. Instead, he'll gain the ability to lead the team with experience. Remember that we need a mental leader for the 2006 squad.

Young-chul Kim(26) is another type of defender we might need. Not too old, and not too young. Perfect for the linking bridge. He might be pushed out for the WC2006 squad, but that's ok. Just as long as he helps out the younger players reach their full potential by playing with him instead of getting pummelled by the opponents every single time.

Then we'll need the U23 teams defenders so that they rise up. U20 team's Im and Yeo are two defenders which I really look forward to see them step up. But they won't be able to do that so quickly without the help of the veterans.