Pre-match: Korea vs Spain 2016/06/01 Discussion + Prediction

Discussion in 'Korea' started by Seol Korea, May 28, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Seol Korea

Seol Korea Member+

Jun 24, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Realistically, the outcome of us losing is very high (Almost a guaranteed), but knowing that Stielike has a good understanding of Spanish football, especially having played for one of the most prestige team in La Liga (Real Madrid), it will be quite interesting to see how much of it is up to date and what he will be instilling on our team come next week Wednesday since it will be his first true test against a strong opposition.

Hopefully, he has been following the Spanish NT having watched tapes of their latest matches, but more so and most importantly, I hope he's watched Bob Bradley's USMNT 2-0 win over Spain at the 2009 FIFA Confederations Cup, because that was pretty much the opening point of a counter Tiki-taka against the Spanish NT. If he hasn't then he should do it immediately because that was a clear cut example of Bob Bradley deploying a brilliant strategy that literally enforced the Spanish players out of possession whilst collapsing their defense to disorganization, also creating spaces and chances of a counter-attacking opportunity.

But, that shouldn't be the only example, he should also follow it up with the 2010 FIFA World Cup Switzerland vs Spain match, 2014 FIFA World Cup Netherlands vs Spain and Chile vs Spain matches. Jose Mourinho's Inter Milan + Real Madrid, or Ancelotti's Real Madrid matches vs Barcelona are also good examples of a counter Tiki-taka. He should also take a look at our 2010 friendly match vs Spain too and take some notes on Huh Jung-moo's tactics/strategy because we've not only managed to create lot's of chances and plays, but we also managed to keep it close before eventually losing by only a goal.

Of course given the current state that our NT is in, it is difficult to picture our players carrying and executing even half of those tasks, but not much of Del Bosque's tactics will change nor will Tiki-taka ever be dropped from the system, so our players shouldn't be too hesitant or scared but actually take this match with a more stronger mindset to create lot's of plays and opportunities.

I am not asking our team to win nor am I hoping for one, a nil-nil draw will be the most decent result we can get (Or should I say satisfying?), but the only thing I am asking for is that we actually play decently, perhaps it may sound a tad too much to some folks, but at least not at the level we were playing while under Choi Kang-hee.

Now, I know some if not most of you folks will be questioning "Who cares? we'll probably lose in an embarrassing fashion anyway", but remember this is our first true test of the year under Stielike, against a strong team(Granted that we haven't faced strong teams in a while.). And, with the given fact that we are in the reforming/rebuilding/tune up phase under our new manager, this will be the next stepping stone as we continue to evaluate on what needs to be done next or what needs to be fixed from here on out as we head on towards the 2018 FIFA World Cup Russia.

TL;DR: We hardly ever start Pre-match threads and it's been a long while since, so I decided to start one for the kicks so everyone is free to put in their analysis or 2 cents(And predictions) of this match for the time being until I start the match day thread in roughly 1-2 days time prior to kickoff, so please keep things civil, thanks.

heyheyhe11 repped this.
  2. Seol Korea

Seol Korea Member+

Jun 24, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Just for shits and giggles, here are the clips:

3. Chingoo

Chingoo Member+

Feb 10, 2010
    Spain 5 - 0 Korea

4. chook90

chook90 Member+

South Korea
    Jan 2, 2015
    Al Khor, Qatar
    Club:
    FC Seoul
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Spain 6-1 Korea

Korea scores from a penalty.

5. skimmilk

skimmilk Member+

Apr 22, 2010
    Texas, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Not sure if posted already but can watch carnage on ESPN3.com

6. The Hyphen

The Hyphen Member+

Jun 29, 2014
    A little amusing to me that most here pine for 'friendlies' like this but then lambast it for not being worthy once its scheduled.

'Can watch the carnage'?? Part of the game of being a top dog I guess is the monetary gain from minnows with lots of cash and a raging case of body dysmorphia. You guys ever wonder why our big friendly is typically Spain? I sure do.

7. 12th Player

12th Player Member+

Nov 3, 2009
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Palestine
    I think it will be a pretty competitive match, with a 1 goal difference in the end.

If you watch the US's match against Spain above, neither goals came from a counter. In the first goal Altidore just outmuscles the defender. The second goal came from a press in midfield. I doubt Son will outmuscle anyone, but a an aggressive press in their half may be productive for us.

8. The Hyphen

The Hyphen Member+

Jun 29, 2014
    Unsure why you bring up the US comparison since transitive properties don't exist in football and other factors come into play on a single goal besides a 'midfield press'

We have no business playing Spain, who incidentally is probably smiling ear to ear with the money in their pocket is probably one again fielding a crappier version of them who's still much better.

9. killaorca

killaorca Member+

AFC Ajax
    May 11, 2010
    Pacific Ocean
    Club:
    RSC Anderlecht
  10. Gayageum

Gayageum Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 22, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Oh man I remember this match very well...

Park Ju-young running straight into Ki's shot (which looked like it was going to be on goal) was quite memorable. And it was pretty entertaining to see Lee Woon-jae make needless hero dives throughout the entire game.

Still, I thought it was a game that we should've won.

11. Marco91

Marco91 Member+

Mar 12, 2016
    At home
    Club:
    Dijon FCO
    I oonly care to see Lee Jae Sung playing against top footballers. This test is for him.

12. heyheyhe11

heyheyhe11 Member+

Oct 1, 2009
    Club:
    PSV Eindhoven
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    1-1 with son scoring.

ConcernedK repped this.
  13. killaorca

killaorca Member+

AFC Ajax
    May 11, 2010
    Pacific Ocean
    Club:
    RSC Anderlecht
    LJS to Spain this summer??? Jkjk

14. Marco91

Marco91 Member+

Mar 12, 2016
    At home
    Club:
    Dijon FCO
    I hope not, i cant stand la liga.

15. zdrstvte

zdrstvte Member+

Aug 27, 2012
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    China.

chook90 repped this.
  16. Marco91

Marco91 Member+

Mar 12, 2016
    At home
    Club:
    Dijon FCO
    Why would he? He doesnt need to make money asap.

17. killaorca

killaorca Member+

AFC Ajax
    May 11, 2010
    Pacific Ocean
    Club:
    RSC Anderlecht
    Now that you mention it, I think this can be a real possibility.
    Don't underestimate the power of Chinese money.

zdrstvte repped this.
  18. Marco91

Marco91 Member+

Mar 12, 2016
    At home
    Club:
    Dijon FCO
    I dont, but i hope he makes the right decision, i could understand if wasnt good enough to europeo but Lee Jae Sung...with that being said, if he really goes to China is dead to me.

edlee1992 repped this.
  19. chook90

chook90 Member+

South Korea
    Jan 2, 2015
    Al Khor, Qatar
    Club:
    FC Seoul
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Don't forget that Qatar/UAE is also a possibility.

20. chook90

chook90 Member+

South Korea
    Jan 2, 2015
    Al Khor, Qatar
    Club:
    FC Seoul
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    I think losing to Spain (and to Czech Rep.) can be a valuable experience for KNT heading into WCQ round 3. Getting that clean-sheet streak ended can provide a sense of relief for our players, some sort of "clean slate".

With good memories of (8?) clean sheet victories behind them, the KNT can now focus on beating opponents in Group A.

21. batumchange2

batumchange2 Member+

South Korea
    May 6, 2015
    [​IMG]

lee jaesung is a very motivated player. combine that with verified interest from europe (see dortmund vs jeonbuk friendly, martin rennies interview, etc.) and i dont see him moving to another club in asia. but then again i said the same about a lot of the guys who have gone to china/middleast in recent years..

Seol Korea and jinseokyang repped this.
  22. Marco91

Marco91 Member+

Mar 12, 2016
    At home
    Club:
    Dijon FCO
    Qatar? UAE? They dont exist, so i will consider Lee Don\Jae Sung as a retired player.

23. Marco91

Marco91 Member+

Mar 12, 2016
    At home
    Club:
    Dijon FCO
    Is this his diary?

24. jinseokyang

jinseokyang Member+

Feb 28, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Had KJC not gotten injured again had SHJ stayed at Vitoria... i would feel infinitely better about this match. /but if we actually do get any sort of result from this i'd be impressed

25. Seol Korea

Seol Korea Member+

Jun 24, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Yes, losing can be a valuable experience for us whether it'd be 0-1 or 0-2 or even 1-2, but even then we cannot afford to concede any more goals. As I've said before that a draw would probably be the most decent yet justifiable result, however the main importance is that our players actually go out there and perform decently, because in the end we have to be able to uphold our ground and be able to play decently against strong teams, and start picking up pace once we've found that steady rhythm.