Konrad de la Fuente setting the bar high at SD Eibar (olf Olympic Marseille)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Chance, Apr 6, 2014.

1. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ha, spellcheck. Meant Klinsi of course.

Pegasus, largegarlic and Winoman repped this.
  2. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    I do, too. In fact, I'm guessing the odds are that it won't happen. But that's not really why I think he should stay.

It comes down more to keeping himself in the La Liga shop window. That, and remaining in a culture, language and style of play that he's already adapted to.

TimB4Last and Winoman repped this.
  3. maroonlaw

maroonlaw Member

Mar 26, 2015
    Of course. Looking at one’s body of work over a roughly 15 year period, failures included, strikes me as an eminently reasonable approach to evaluating someone in his or her chosen field.

If your position is that Klinsmann should be evaluated as a manager with conscious disregard of 15 years of data about his performance as a manager, we disagree, to put it mildly.

4. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    as an in-game manager, as a tactician and as a roster selector....I hated klinsmann for the USMNT....

BUT

its not like he doesnt have his strengths and positives too

he RIDES for his people and his players....if he is in your corner he HAS YOUR BACK...I love that about him.

look no further than Bobby Wood...he had this dude looking like he was going to go to the EPL....merely by hyping him up and guiding him. look at julian green now that JK is out of the picture...

Without doubt JK did have a positive impact on many of his guys' careers....sometimes that is all some players really need ...a supportive authority figure that can help them along the way.

if he can somehow help de la fuente in a similar way it will only make me think better of JK...even though i did not want him as USMNT manager.

I think it would be a great move for KDLF

5. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good point. Perhaps that’s what is giving him pause. Not sure. I don’t know his fame well enough to say which league fits his skill set better.

6. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Nor I his game. Staying put at Barca sounds conservative, but I agree with Scotty that it's the percentage play. If you stay at Barca and things stagnate, you can move on (by agreement) in a year or two. Maybe a sticking point is agreeing on favorable release terms. If you jump ship now and things don't work out, you can't come back.

Tough call, and it's not wrong to explore outside offers, but to leave Barca you would want a high level of confidence that it was the 'right' move at the right time.

Winoman and Scotty repped this.
  7. Duncan Edwards i miss u

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I feel sorry for you.

8. TxEx

TxEx Member+

Tottenham Hotspur, Crystal Palace, FC Dallas
    Aug 19, 2016
    DFW
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    I like Klinsmann the American soccer cheerleader. As a coach he hasn't been special but to say he can't have learned anything in his time off is wrong. DeBoar was good at Ajax till he wasn't. He was an abysmal failure in Italy and England and is suddenly a decent coach again at Atlanta. Being forced to see what went wrong and why could have changed both men. We'll see if it's true for JK.

No one is saying he'll be coach for life or even get the job permanently but he can help Hertha become a decent counter punching team. Those were his best USMNTs. A kid like KDF can help with that and for all the bashing JK gets no one can say he won't give kids a chance. He's also going to be a heavy US recruiter because he knows we have talent here and that it's cheaper than other leagues/nations.

KDF has to weigh whether 2 years on Barca B, with no guarantee he'll start the majority of games, is better than coming off the bench with Hertha and trying to earn a permanent job in a better league than the Segunda. I'm not sure either is a terrible choice but people complain about 3+2 contracts in MLS, giving Barca +2 option years may not be much better, though they'll probably be more likely to let him go if he's not good enough for their 1st team bench.

Eighteen Alpha repped this.
  9. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    So given that Klinsmann's appointment as Hertha coach is only until the end of the season, wouldn't that make a transfer there even more risky for Konrad? Suppose the new coach comes in and doesn't rate him the way Klinsi does?

tomásbernal repped this.
  10. ebbro

ebbro Member+

Jun 10, 2005
    I agree. Unless maybe it's a GM/ Director of Football that wants him. Maybe they've been following him since before Klinsmann. Still going to a team where you know the coach is likely to change is a risk.

adam tash repped this.
  11. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Don’t forget he is watching fellow Juvenil players get bench time and even minutes already. If Barça need his skill set between now and age 21, what’s to stop them from buying the latest superstar? I can’t fault him too harshly.
    I just feel in my gut they see him as a Barça B player, primarily.

taylor and PalmettoSpur repped this.
  12. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    That’s a good point. I guess I am ambivalent

13. taylor

taylor Member+

Jun 9, 2000
    Fav team: FC CARL ZEISS JENA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Jk destroyed a generation of us soccer.

Having said that, poster is completely correct. If jk really wants you, you go and get carte blanche. Best move is to hertha IF JK REALLY wants you. Worst case, you play 2 division bundesliga instead of spanich 2. liga.

butters59 repped this.
  14. Duncan Edwards i miss u

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Keep your circus show going.

Deeneaus repped this.
  15. Sufjan Guzan

Sufjan Guzan Member+

Feb 13, 2016
    I don't think JK destroyed a generation of US soccer at all. As much as I will hate on Berhalter, the head of the US Soccer team has very little affect on how much soccer talent we produce.

The talent wasn't there. JK's problems were always tactical. The guy could identify talent. He called up Jordan Morris when he was still at Stanford.

uniteo repped this.
  16. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    This. I feel precisely the same way.

17. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Morris was in MLS Jurgen wouldn't have called Jordan up unless it was January Camp at earliest by rule. And I don't know if you can say Morris is a sign of Jurgen's talent identification when Jordan killed his weak group in a scrimmage. That's what prompted the unorthodox call-up.

Jurgen destroyed depth at the very least, in an era where depth should have been the strongest ever. And ultimately it's what put the U.S. out of position to qualify, otherwise they wouldn't have set such a low standard, down period or not top talent-wise. Just missing the WC then could have lingering ramifications yet to be seen.

Hopefully he's learned something and doesn't impose his ignorance on BSC. It is a job where he has more built-in knowledge, and his arrogance is less likely to be an impediment, at least in the honeymoon period before he starts throwing players under the bus publicly.

18. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Klinsmann's great!!
    Klinsman's so-so!!
    Klinsmann sucks!!

not_this_shit_again.jpg

19. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks. My favorite quote:

"In the near future, I want to become a professional player as soon as possible,” the teenager told SI in November. “In the long term, I want to win a World Cup with the USA and be the best player in the world.”

It is going to take something really special to make the Barca 1st Team... he is better off moving to the Bundesliga IMO. He could play for Hertha right now.

20. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    Yesterday I was reading about Mikel Arteta and noticed he spent multiple seasons at Barcelona B, failing to break through to the first team before eventually getting loaned to PSG (followed by a purchase by Rangers, then Real Sociedad, Everton, Arsenal...)

Of course that is not an average case, but it still gives you an idea of the kind of observation that Barcelona B receives.

PalmettoSpur, Winoman and DHC1 repped this.
  21. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On the bench:

Scores:

22. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    how much more time does he have to make his move?

markandrew78 repped this.
  23. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks again for staying on top of it Boston.

markandrew78 repped this.
  24. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    WheezingUSASupport and Winoman repped this.