Konrad de la Fuente setting the bar high at SD Eibar (olf Olympic Marseille)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Chance, Apr 6, 2014.

1. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    1191726564163145729 is not a valid tweet id

2. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kid is on fire. I wonder if they will loan him out in January? Going to be very difficult to break into the 1st team.

3. WheezingUSASupport

Dortmund
    United States
    Aug 28, 2017
    I wouldn’t mind him getting promoted to the B team. Not sure if the youth A team is one that sees it’s players loaned to first teams.

4. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agree. Promotion in January would be a very good sign. After that step, he will need a loan to get first team action and prove he can really play.

5. ShaftBrewer

ShaftBrewer Member+

Jul 18, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's crazy to me. I watched a lot of Juvenil A last year. Ansu was good but I didn't think he was this good of a prospect. I thought he was equal or marginally better than Konrad. Just surprising to me.

6. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interview with Grant Wahl:

https://www.si.com/soccer/2019/11/05/konrad-de-la-fuente-usa-barcelona-la-masia

“I’ve spoken quite a few times with Konrad,” Kluivert told SI.com. “I think Konrad is a very bright player. He has a very good one-on-one action. He needs to score more, but as I say that in the last three games he has scored four goals, so that’s a good thing. I think when he continues like this next year, he will be for sure in the Barça B team.”

7. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    always nice when you have spoken with the academy director 'quite a few times'

justinkicks and Winoman repped this.
  8. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Makes we wonder why Kluivert waited so long to tell Konrad he needs to score more goals.

9. HS Teacher

HS Teacher Member

Jan 3, 2018
    Spain
    Strange year for Konrad. All the Victor Valdes drama at the start of the year. Seems like things are settling down nicely for him.

10. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I had high hope for him to do well with the U20, especially when having Dest to overlap him on the right side. I guess he wasn't ready.

11. grandinquisitor28

Feb 11, 2002
    Nevada
    Always relevant to note the underage guys in a given tournament typically featuring a ton of guys turning 20 during the given tourney year:
    Ages during tourney:
    Richards: 19
    Durkin: 19
    Dest: 18
    Gloster: 18
    Ledezma: 18
    Llanez: 18
    Mendez: 18
    Soto: 18
    KDLF: 17

That was a really, really, really young team and KDLF was the youngest guy on it if memory serves.

12. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like he is getting a new contract:

https://www.espn.com/soccer/barcelo...or-us-youth-international-konrad-de-la-fuente

De La Fuente, 18, plays for the club's U19s, but the plan next season is to promote him to the B team, who compete in the third tier of Spanish football.

Patrick Kluivert, who was appointed director of youth football at Barcelona in the summer, has taken a particular shining to the American forward, who can play on either wing.

13. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Starts:

sXeWesley and Winoman repped this.
  14. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    #564 TimB4Last, Nov 27, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2019
    Started today v Gio Reyna's Dortmund U19 in the CL Jrs.

At 80', Barcelona 1-2 Dortmund

Barcelona have used all three subs, so Konrad will play 90'.

Reyna with a game-tying first half goal. Barcelona missed a PK.

Edit: Finished 1-2

15. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    A couple of mentions ...

"Franc Artiga’s side had already come close through Konrad and then Nils before the opener was scored following a delightful move from Nico.

Dortmund had fewer chances. But they took them. Reyna equalised with practically their first attack of the game, and following an uneventful start to the second half Raschi scored the visitors’ second after 65 minutes.

Konrad and Ilaix led the charge to get back into the game, but failed to do against a tightly organised German defense, and the result brings an unexpectedly early end to Barça’s Youth League challenge."

Unfortunately, Barça are out of the competition.

https://www.fcbarcelona.com/en/news/1506091/bara-1-2-borussia-dortmund-out-of-the-uefa-youth-league

16. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    1203345741743308801 is not a valid tweet id

17. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. WheezingUSASupport

Dortmund
    United States
    Aug 28, 2017
    Anyone know if playing for the B team at 19 is better, normal, or below average?

I hear of plenty of decent players who started in Barcelona B to have decent careers elsewhere. Would be great if they played in the 2nd division, my only worry is the talent he’s playing against is below MLS quality, when we have other prospects who are younger playing in MLS.

I’m sure I’m not looking at this the right way though, that if he did move to the B team there are positive things I’m not considering.

19. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    why do you care?
    he’ll be 18 until the summer!

20. Thundering165

Thundering165 Member+

North Carolina FC
    United States
    May 1, 2017
    Raleigh
    Somewhere around normal to above average. Of course, moving from the B team to the A team at Barcelona is rare.

21. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    seeing tweets about this being konrads last youth match, so barca b after the holidays is a lock now?

22. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Konrad's chances of playing for Barca's 1st team are slim to none, but he'll find a 1st team somewhere. I don't know if this is a good analogy, but Sebastian Lletget was a promising young prospect who moved to West Ham, but could never crack the 1st team. He came to MLS, and despite injuries has carved out a decent career. Maybe Konrad will follow a similar trajectory, who knows.

23. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    the gap between not making it at barca and coming back to mls seems rather yawning. anyone watch him today?

24. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    https://www.football-oranje.com/champions-league-preview-ajax-v-valencia/
    Wait, those are the binary choices, Barcelona's first team or MLS? Might there be opportunities in between those two extremes?

Deeneaus, lmorin and superdave repped this.