Konrad de la Fuente setting the bar high at SD Eibar (olf Olympic Marseille)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Chance, Apr 6, 2014.

1. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Thanks Boston Red.

bshredder repped this.
  2. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    opposite of a haitian divorce

3. Luksarus

Luksarus Member

United States
    Jul 27, 2018
    Very good interview. Regarding his future with the United States, he left me some doubts. Even though Haiti has not communicated with him, is there a possibility that he has any interest in representing them due to the nationality of his parents?.
    Something that intrigues me more is that soon Konrad will obtain the Spanish nationality and although in the interview it is clarified that it is "with the intention of being able to play in other teams in Europe in case of leaving Barcelona", he will not be leaving any door open to represent Spain? Konrad is very appreciated there, so it would not be so crazy to think that Spain wants to have it in some future, although it is too early to know.

4. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If he gets provisionally cap-tied to the US, then Spain is off the table.

5. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He’s not going to play for Haiti unless his career is a total bust

As mentioned, if he plays at the U-20 WC (which he badly wants to do), Spain is forever off the table with him.

6. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    Yeah he’s ours. Man I hope he turns out.

7. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    And soon.

8. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore BigSoccer Yellow Card

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ilaix Moriba, another academy player, recently signed a new contract, and has been in the news. Apparently Barca accidentally sent his offer to Espanyol instead of Moriba's agent. But the contract was apparently lucrative, and necessary to prevent the competition from poaching Moriba. Does anyone have insight about how De La Fuente compares to Moriba at La Masia? Do they play together?

http://www.espn.com/soccer/barcelon...ract-renewal-to-local-rivals-espanyol-sources

9. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Starts:

Tom Collingsworth and Winoman repped this.
  10. Thundering165

Thundering165 Member+

North Carolina FC
    United States
    May 1, 2017
    Raleigh
    For those who are not located in the USA (or have access to something that can convince youtube they are not) the stream is here:

Lyon leads 1-0

Winoman repped this.
  11. Thundering165

Thundering165 Member+

North Carolina FC
    United States
    May 1, 2017
    Raleigh
    Barcelona levels it 1-1, Konrad not really involved.

12. Thundering165

Thundering165 Member+

North Carolina FC
    United States
    May 1, 2017
    Raleigh
    And just like that Ansu grabs the lead for Barcelona. Intelligent forward play from Konrad to affect the defenders but no involvement aside from that.

EDIT: I've thought Ansu has been underwhelming this game but big players score big goals

Eighteen Alpha repped this.
  13. Thundering165

Thundering165 Member+

North Carolina FC
    United States
    May 1, 2017
    Raleigh
    Konrad is subbed off in the 73rd. I haven't been watching too closely but it didn't look like his best game; of course, Lyon were happy to play very defensively for the bulk of it.

14. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore BigSoccer Yellow Card

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do you know anything about this Moriba academy player who has been in the press lately? Has he played with Konrad? Is he with Barcelona B full time?

15. Thundering165

Thundering165 Member+

North Carolina FC
    United States
    May 1, 2017
    Raleigh
    Here's what I know, which is not a lot;

He started the season in Juvenil B but was quickly promoted. He made his on field debut with Juvenil A on October 7th. He scored his first goal in that squad against CE Europa on the 20th of October. He plays centrally as an 8 or 10, and is not a direct competitor for minutes as far as I can tell. He's a big kid who some compare to Pogba.

As far as Barcelona B, only 3 teenagers have debuted for them this season. Konrad, Nils Mortimer, and Jandro Orellana. Moriba is on the path to do so next year. Like Konrad last year, he has moved up to the A level and established himself as a starter. If he is really all that he may not spend much time at Barcelona B, but that is exceptionally rare these days.

16. ShaftBrewer

ShaftBrewer Member+

Jul 18, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ilaix played in some of the Youth League games. Best player against Hertha and Barca sorely missed him today. He's out for the season with an injury though.

Jazzy Altidore repped this.
  17. Thundering165

Thundering165 Member+

North Carolina FC
    United States
    May 1, 2017
    Raleigh
    Started today against Chelsea in the UEFA Youth League and assisted a goal. Substitued after 83' leading 2-1, but the equalizer came shortly after and Barcelona went down on penalties.

The goal is at 2:01 of this awfully edited video:

18. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    that was weird to watch

19. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Gacm32 and Winoman repped this.
  21. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    Uh, isn't this exactly the kind of thing that got Barça in trouble before, and Lederman dismissed from the club?

“His family moved to Spain for football,” says Marcet. “They thought Konrad was too good for US soccer and they wanted to go to a country where he could progress faster. Football was a priority for them.”

22. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's a Spanish citizen now, as well as 2 months away from 18. I wouldn't worry.

23. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He is a spanish citizen right now? When I spoke to him in March, he told me he couldn't apply until later this year (but would do so)

TarHeels17 repped this.
  24. mattjo

mattjo Member+

Feb 3, 2001
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Will be interesting to see how he and his family qualifies. Generally, there is a 10 year legal residency rule to qualify for Spanish citizenship. There are exceptions for refugees which can gain citizenship in five years. There is also reduced waiting time for those from Ibero-American countries (I am guessing that is how Diego Costa acquired his citizenship so fast, but I am not sure).

Nationality by residence

This method of acquisition of nationality requires continued legal residence in Spain for ten years immediately prior to the application. There are cases in which the period of residence required can be reduced. These are:

• Five years: for the granting of Spanish nationality to those persons who have obtained refugee status
    • Two years: for nationals of Ibero-American countries, Andorra, the Philippines, Equatorial Guinea, Portugal or persons of Sephardic origin.
    • One year:
      • Persons born in Spanish territory.
      • Persons who have not exercised their right to Spanish nationality by option.
      • o Persons who have been legally subject to the guardianship (in the care of a guardian) or foster care (foster care allowing for the reduction of the legal residency period to one year is that in which there is a resolution issued by the public body responsible for the protection of minors in the relevant territory or judicially recognized foster care) of a Spanish citizen or institution for two consecutive years, including where they remain in this situation at the time of application.
      • o Persons who, at the time of the application, have been married for one year to a Spanish national and are not legally separated and have not had a common-law separation.
      • o The widower or widow of a Spanish national, if, at the time of the death of the spouse, they were not separated in fact or legally.
        o Those born outside Spain to a Spanish father or mother (also born outside Spain), grandfather or grandmother, provided that all were originally Spanish.