Konrad de la Fuente setting the bar high at SD Eibar (olf Olympic Marseille)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Chance, Apr 6, 2014.

1. Boniek

Boniek Member

Feb 20, 2015
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Testudo repped this.
  2. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I don't think Barcelona's just going to accept this. Their top talents are starting to get banned.

3. Dough Boy

Dough Boy Member

Sep 27, 2014
  4. bigt8917

bigt8917 Member+

May 10, 2015
    I don't think this holds. Konrad has been in Spain since he was 6, so that's residency, plus he transferred from FC Damm before age 12 which is allowed by Spain. He also holds Spanish residency, so the non-EU eligibility is out the window.

But this is FIFA, so there's no telling what rabbit they're capable of pulling out of their ass

Gacm32 repped this.
  5. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cherche Réal Madrid.

6. What do you mean by this?

7. bigt8917

bigt8917 Member+

May 10, 2015
    IIRC, he and his parents moved to Spain when he was 6

8. Yes, but what is ment with the part I highlighted?

9. bigt8917

bigt8917 Member+

May 10, 2015
    He's been there for the requisite period for residency eligibility.

10. Oh, for FIFA purposes. If so, what is the ban worth then?

11. Brotheryoungbuck

Jan 24, 2015
    parts unknown
    It's not much, but we're all looking for something. Apparently 2 players were allowed to return to La Masia and Barca believe more will be allowed soon.

12. CapeCodFutbol

CapeCodFutbol Member

Nov 20, 2009
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As long as he got "el OK," I guess we should be happy.

14. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I don't know why Lederman gets so much attention and Konrad gets very little. It seems like Konrad is actually rated much higher at Barcelona.

Anderson11 and Rahbiefowlah repped this.
  15. PalmettoSpur

PalmettoSpur Member

Oct 21, 2015
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Ecstatic de la Fuente gets to return to La Masia and continue his development.

16. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    What is that based on?

17. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    The post below. Thats not to say this guy is 100% right, but most of the older guys he's listing are pretty widely regarded as among the best older La Masia talents, so I'm just assuming he knows the younger talents as well, although just one persons opinion, to be fair.

Gacm32 and Winoman repped this.
  18. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    Interesting. But I don't think it means a whole lot when it comes to comparing him to Lederman.

First off, that tweet was made last May, after Lederman had already been suspended from Barcelona's program for over a year. In fact, he didn't play in a single competitive match last season, so I doubt the Barça TV journalist was going to consider him for his rankings.

Next, Lederman was never going to figure very high in those categories: wingers, goal-scoring, fastest, etc. From everything I saw, Ben was a central midfielder who stood out for his passing and dictating of the tempo. I also don't think the club hands out the number 10 shirt to just anyone.

Anyway, does anyone know how long de la Fuente has been with Barça? From what I've been able to ascertain it's not even been two years yet. But keep in mind that Lederman was initially accepted in 2011 on a 2-year deal, which then got renewed. And they kept him with the team for training all of last season, despite the fact he couldn't play in games. Those two things say a lot about how the club felt about him.

dwsmith1972, Gacm32 and Winoman repped this.
  19. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    There were some other categories that he tweeted about that might've pertained to a player like Lederman. I only listed a few since you can only embed five tweets at once.

The reason might've been that Lederman isn't "officially" at Barcelona or maybe its not. Who knows? All I know is that Konrad is seemingly very highly rated at Barcelona.

20. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    Definitely seems that way, and that's a good thing.

I'm just not convinced by your claim that he's rated "much higher" than Lederman was there.

21. CapeCodFutbol

CapeCodFutbol Member

Nov 20, 2009
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's not. But if you repeat something often enough...

ETA: Also to your earlier question Konrad has been at Barca for about two years. He was with a local (Barcelona) club prior to that.

Scotty repped this.
  22. bigt8917

bigt8917 Member+

May 10, 2015
    I just hope Konrad stays far, far away from Bradenton. Thank goodness for fifa on this decision. I'm very concerned about Lederman now that he's about to be entrenched in "the Bradenton way".

23. hokeydokey

hokeydokey Member

Oct 21, 2015
    Pretty new here and not too familiar with up to date perceptions of USSF academies. Would you mind expanding on "the Bradenton way"?

Other than overall inferiority to European club academies is there a particular brand they are imposing?

24. bigt8917

bigt8917 Member+

May 10, 2015
    See u17 world cup

Gacm32 repped this.
  25. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    Search around in this forum and you can find lots discussion on the subject:

http://forums.bigsoccer.com/forums/youth-national-teams.255/