Kompany words on Belgium NT

Discussion in 'Belgium' started by urubelga, Aug 16, 2007.

1. urubelga

urubelga New Member

Sep 2, 2005
    Montevideo
    I really like the way this kid talks: with his heart and his head.
    Belgium has a diamond on the pitch and perhaps outside of it also.

Read the article where he talks about division being the main problem: flemish vs wallons.

What do you think about it?

2. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    This is nothing new, they always blame it on the Walloons and Flemish not getting along when the Belgian NT isn't performing. It has nothing to do with that. What they lack most right now is a leader-figure everyone will respect. As much as Kompany wishes it were true, he is not that leader.

3. destekke

destekke New Member

Dec 28, 2004
    :rolleyes: no suprises there , coming from a brugges-fan.
    You can't even say something positive about the best belgian player in years, just because he was an anderlechtplayer.

Off course there will be problems like these in the NT. Just like there are problems in the brazilian team because of the strong characters they have. Yet , they won the Copa America...
    Talent is everything, when there's no talent, mentality has to prevail, and that seems to be impossible for the belgian national team. A strong leader could indeed help, and ofcourse Kompany isn't one, he never claimed he is one. He's ********ing 21 years old.

Anyway, I read the article also. Great interview, from the belgian player with the most impressive personality AND skills.

4. urubelga

urubelga New Member

Sep 2, 2005
    Montevideo
    I have to agree in almost all accounts with destekke here. Kompany has EVERY little thing that a great leader needs to have.
    I even think that the age isn't so much an issue as the fact that he has barely played for the Red Devils these last years.

Still my point is more about how much true exist in his statements and the whole article in general.
    I watched the youngsters in the Netherlands but couldn't see if, as the article states, they did the warmups divided in two groups.
    I believe that if that was the case Belgium can't look the other way on this issue because on the cause and consequence scenario this kind of problems come first and then the bad results start to appear, not the other way around.

5. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Um, please check your facts before you make sweeping generalisations. I never claimed Kompany wasn't talented. He is the young Belgian player with the most potential. Whether he will ever live up to that potential remains to be seen.

My point was merely that we lack a Wilmots-type personality in our team (who, btw, hated Anderlecht and everything it stood for :D) and that Kompany does not have a similar personality. He might become the leader of the NT one day, but he'll be a different kind of leader, and we could really use someone to do for this bunch what Wilmots did for our NT of a few years back.

And age shouldn't really factor into this. Our NT is very young, and will become even younger when Simons retires. We need someone to step up now. A young player can lead a team if he has the right personality. Defour is the captain of Standard at 19.

6. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Like I said before, talk of this BS only pops up whenever the NT isn't performing. If in twenty years time, the NT is going through another dark period, then you'll be able to find one or two players to blame it on the Walloons not getting along with the Flemish and vice versa. This is nothing new.

7. destekke

destekke New Member

Dec 28, 2004
    jesus christ, if you actually believe that defour could become of those leaders, and kompany's not, you're way off man. Open your eyes, defour's a great footballer, but just another one of those scrawny , dumb-ass sujets we have so many of in belgian football.

And what the hell do you mean , live up to his potential, when you're talking about Kompany ?
    He starred in every Anderlechtgame, nearly every international game with the NT and he's back now in Hamburg, playing fantasticly.
    Just another of those clichés, when brugesfans are talking about kompany.
    He has already lived up to his potential, years ago

8. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    I hope you're wrong. In my mind, living up to his potential would mean playing for one of the top ten biggest teams in Europe. You see, I actually rate him higher than you do. :D