Klinsmann to transition to younger players. Vets to get a break.

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by TheHoustonHoyaFan, Jul 3, 2014.

1. SPA2TACU5

SPA2TACU5 Member+

Jul 27, 2001
    ATX
    Dwyer just copied it (SKC v. Chitown), but even better.

2. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #102 TheHoustonHoyaFan, Aug 28, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2014
    Well for those of us who wanted to give the young'uns a chance:

ROSTER BY POSITION

GOALKEEPERS (3): Cody Cropper (Southampton), Brad Guzan (Aston Villa), Nick Rimando (Real Salt Lake)

DEFENDERS (7): John Brooks (Hertha Berlin), Geoff Cameron (Stoke City), Timmy Chandler (Eintracht Frankfurt), Greg Garza (Club Tijuana), Fabian Johnson (Borussia Mönchengladbach), Michael Orozco (Puebla), Tim Ream (Bolton)

MIDFIELDERS (7): Alejandro Bedoya (Nantes), Joe Corona (Club Tijuana), Mix Diskerud (Rosenborg), Julian Green (Bayern Munich), Emerson Hyndman (Fulham), Alfredo Morales (Ingolstadt), Brek Shea (Stoke City)

FORWARDS (5): Jozy Altidore (Sunderland), Joe Gyau (Borussia Dortmund II), Jordan Morris (Stanford), Rubio Rubin (Utrecht), Bobby Wood (1860 Munich)

Will be nice to see the growth of the 2012 U23 CM trio of Morales, Mix, and Corona.

3. DANNO49

DANNO49 Member

Feb 6, 2001
    Hawthorne CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Glad to see he is starting early. This will give him a chance for experimenting

4. Cleats Up

Cleats Up Member

Jun 25, 2010
    Saint Louis
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm surprised to see an active college player in this list in Morris.

This is an exciting roster for me. Its great to get the young guns some early experience. Hopefully this pays dividends moving forward.

5. PaulieJay

PaulieJay Member

Sep 10, 2013
    Iowa, United States
    Club:
    Wolverhampton Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's a good mix here. I assume most of those WC vets will start since Czech Rep. has their best 23 ahead of their match with the Netherlands to kickoff Euro 16. I imagine their starting XI will look similar to the one that starts their qualfier for the first half and that Cech will be in goal the entire match (seeing as how he figures to be a bit rusty, for some reason).

6. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My XI:

---------Green---------Altidore------------
    Bedoya-----------Mix--------------Corona
    ------------------Cameron----------------
    F. Johnson------------------------Chandler
    -------------Ream------Brooks-------------
    -----------------(Cpt) Guzan-------------------

Bench: Cropper, Orozco Fiscal (Ream) 60, Morales (Cameron) 60, Hyndman (Mix) 80, Shea (Bedoya) 70, Gyau (Corona) 70, Rubin (Green) 80
    Not included: Rimando, Garza, Morris, Wood

7. holly nichole music

May 3, 2012
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    I hope JK learns from his mistakes. Remember when he wasted so much time with Boca. Don't bring people to rehearsal who have no chance for the show or even understudy. This is the time to fix the wings; find a new #6, hopefully with the brains of Beckerman but stronger and faster ; and find a replacement for Jones.
    And btw Someone will eclipse Bradley in the next few years. Watch ....

USAMEX10 and bmo180 repped this.
  8. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A year ago I wouldn't even have entertain the thought but he has been sputtering since going the WC camp.

9. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT

Same here. I thought he would be our STAR for both 2014 and 2018, but things seemed to have changed.

10. terps

terps Member+

Dec 27, 2009
    Overland Park
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm interested in seeing Joe Gyau, I played against his Dad, Philip, in HS and college in Maryland.

11. superm

superm Member+

Jun 8, 2013
    He actually just got called up for the Mexican senior team, but probably will join the U-22 next year for the Olympic team.

12. bmo180

bmo180 Member+

Jan 25, 2012
    I think Bradley will be Jones replacement but he will have some competition definitely, especially if Zelalem plays for us and turns out to be an 8.

Any word on if Beckerman is retiring? I hope Jurgen doesn't waste too much time on him. Beasley can probably stick around for the Gold Cup considering the lack of LBs

13. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With Cameron out I suspect we will see the Olympic U23 trio of Morales, Mix, and Corona in CM especially if Fab plays in defense. I have been waiting to see Morales get a shot after his stellar job bossing the midfield v Mexico's U23 a couple of years ago.

Alfredo has look very good as a #8 in BL2 this year while Corona has done good work on both sides of the all as a #8 in Liga Mx.

14. bct81

bct81 Member+

multiple (DC United, Dortmund, Arsenal, Leeds....)
    United States
    Mar 17, 2007
    moving around the US every few years ....
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Color me confused because I don't get why he is taking him to Prague to train him.

Is the message that college is ok versus academy to first team or overseas?

I certainly hope it is not to help his son at Berkeley get a shot in the future.

Just sayin.

15. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Start with the fact that the USMNT did their WC2014 prep at Stanford and scrimmaged v the Stanford team where JK's staff got a good luck at him.

16. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Alfredo Morales: tough in the tackle and a very good string puller!

[​IMG]

17. bct81

bct81 Member+

multiple (DC United, Dortmund, Arsenal, Leeds....)
    United States
    Mar 17, 2007
    moving around the US every few years ....
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #117 bct81, Sep 1, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2014
    I guess he will play then because why else take the kid all the way to Prague to enjoy the scenery.

I can think of many other players that deserve the shot but that is one mans opinion. (Why not Agudelo as opposed to Morris?)

But to take only one young college kid (yes I know he came out of the Sounders academy) over seems spurious.

Remember how Klinsmann wants all the young talent with quality pro organizations as opposed to non professional focus entities (colleges)? So the one kid he takes is a Bay Area college kid. Just will have to see how it plays out.

18. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    very nifty play.

19. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sometimes the reality is more interesting than conspiracy theories.

Follow
    [​IMG]Brian Sciaretta‏@BrianSciaretta
    Morris looking sharp. I would not be surprised to see him get 20 minutes or so tomorrow. #usmnt

20. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Bradley had a difficult role in Brazil. He was both, the linchpin of the midfield, and the creator for the attack. He covered a lot of ground. He looked worse than he was, because the man was basically covering two positions: his own, and Dempsey's (and Deuce was playing for Jozy).

But this season with Toronto he's been quite mediocre. He has his flashes, a game here and there when he tries to do too much, and then games where 3 out of 4 of his passes are to the backline or turnovers. He needs to get out of this funk fast.

21. Namdynamo

Namdynamo Member+

Jan 1, 2005
    Or this:

"@georgedohrmann: BTW, if wondering why Jordan Morris got called for USMNT out of Stanford, was told he torched US backline couple times in pre-WC scrimmage" later tweet said he split Cameron and Besler and scored

TheHoustonHoyaFan repped this.
  22. HouseHead78

HouseHead78 Member+

Oct 17, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's plenty of time for the funk to pass.

23. Mahtzo1

Mahtzo1 Member+

Jan 15, 2007
    So Cal
    While it is logical that fewer and fewer players will be chosen from college (especially while still in college) the fact that several of our better players (players that had decent to good professional careers in Europe even) like Dempsey, McBride, Bocanegra, Reyna etc were developed in college should be an indicator that we shouldn't turn our backs on the college game completely. Most of our best players going forward will surely develop through the professional system but I expect a few coming through college. In fact, the numbers may actually increase at some point. (for comparison, baseball has two development systems, one which is run by the pro teams and the other which is the university system. College has steadily increased the number of players that it sends to the pros.

Edit: I don't know if that number is still increasing, but it is a fact that at one point, the college system was almost a non-factor in developing baseball talent but that is no longer the case.

24. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree. I hope the proposed changes that would lead to more practice time, a bit more games, and possibly more revenue get passed by the NCAA.

25. Namdynamo

Namdynamo Member+

Jan 1, 2005
    http://www.americansoccernow.com/articles/here-s-what-we-want-to-see-from-u-s-v-czech-rep

Mr Martin and TheHoustonHoyaFan repped this.