Review: Klinsmann: The USA is making progress, but we have to be realistic about the World Cup

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by deuteronomy, Sep 23, 2013.

1. deuteronomy

deuteronomy Member+

Angkor Siem Reap FC
    United States
    Aug 12, 2008
    at the pitch
    Club:
    Siem Reap Angkor FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interviewed at halftime of the Los Angeles Galaxy/Seattle Sounders game, Klinsmann responded when put on the spot with the last question of the interview:

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/artic...referral&utm_content=News&utm_campaign=Unpaid

“We're just growing in terms of what our demands are. We are raising the bar,” said Klinsmann of the US, who have qualified for Brazil 2014 with two games to spare. “We say we want to compete with the best in the world one day, we want to get into the top 10 in the world.

“We asked the players to step it up, and we threw them in the cold water – and they were swimming in the cold water here and there.”

“No, you've got to be realistic,” he said. “I mean, I think we have the potential, obviously like in the past, to get out of the group stage – it depends, obviously, who you have in your group – and then it's all down to 50-50 games. Then you give the real battles in the knockout stage.

“But why not going a bit further than you ever did before? Why not giving the big nations, whoever that is, a real battle? And that's why we play those friendlies in Italy or we play in Bosnia or wherever against top teams in the world, and we showed that we can compete there. So why not in the World Cup?”

“It's very important that your domestic league gets stronger and stronger, and we all have to help in doing that. So I'm not afraid of bringing MLS players in, giving them a chance and telling them, 'listen, if you make a mistake, so what? It's no problem. We all make mistakes,'” he said.

“The growth of MLS is crucial to the national team – [and] our success is crucial for soccer in the entire country. I call the national team the locomotive of soccer in the country, and therefore you work hand in hand.”

Some interesting and well thought out responses.

2. ClevelandForce

Jan 27, 2010
    In terms of giving the big nations "real battles" -- I mean it's not like this is a novel concept to US soccer. See the US against Portugal and Germany in 2002, Italy in 2006, England and Ghana in 2010 (OK, not England, they stunk). Even US-Brazil in 1994. We've given some pretty credible performance in games that mattered in recent WCs. I don't think we've rolled over in any knockout games, and against big soccer nations. One-goal matches, right down to the wire.

While I like Klinsi a lot and think he's had some real success with this group, I am sympathetic to the people who think Jurgen gives short shrift to Arena and Bradley. If I were those two, I'd be a bit miffed hearing Klinsi talk as if he's forged a new path for US soccer.

3. NoSix

NoSix Member+

Feb 18, 2002
    Phoenix
    He said his goal is to go "a bit further" than ever before, luck of the draw permitting. How is that giving short shrift to Arena and Bradley?

Statman repped this.
  4. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Words just fall out of his mouth and form incoherent sentences.

Dignan repped this.
  5. camasterton

camasterton Member

Jun 26, 2001
    North Carolina
    Klinsmann's gift, if you will is in adding a "self evident" attitude to the USMNT's psychology and results. Not that every game will be won but that there is now an expectation of beating CONCACAF minnows by multiples, an expectation of dominating the rest (in soccer terms) with the occasional upset, an expectation of showing well in Brazil. It may just be the natural progression but in the previous regimes, there seemed to be an almost tolerance, an embracing of just getting by, of status quo capping and the expectation of setting up of chairs at the next "disappointment"- quote filled press conference.
    I no longer am surprised when the USMNT goes to Europe and wins- I won't be if or when they move through the rounds in the WC. The mantra of the Coach is "Raise the bar". What I thinks that means is not slogging uphill, moving forward in increments but in thinking it is evident that they are so past any lower or even present rung, that they are deserved of the confidence that the top teams have.

SamsArmySam, KidFlash, CTS26 and 3 others repped this.
  6. oscar_in_fw

oscar_in_fw Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Kansas City
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He is right about realistic expectations. The USA is likely underdogs in at least 2 of 3 games in the group stage (largely dependent on draw) so I think it is less than 50-50 they reach the knockout stage in the WC. The USA still does not have the players. No one good enough (yet) to make the rosters on the kinds of CL-caliber teams expected to make it to the CL knockout stages (Sorry, Anderlecht is not on this list). E.g. Bradley, arguably our most important player and best prospect for a bigger club, is a squad/rotation player on a Roma team which is not even playing in Europa cup, let alone the CL.

Altidore has yet to make an impact in EPL (perhaps the wrong league for him), Dempsey took himself out of the picture but that could be partially based on Tottenham telling him he was "excess to need" for that club. Donovan maybe was good enough to be a starter for a "big" club but he chose LA to play his football (not that bad a choice) and he likely is past his prime. Cameron is good enough for the Stokes of the World but Man U ? Jury is still out on Bedoya, Brek, and the other youngsters.

DCUSA repped this.
  7. Martin Fischer

Martin Fischer Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Kampala. Uganda
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Our last group was Algeria, England, Slovenia. I don't think we were underdogs in 2 of the three games then.

Did Algeria and Slovenia have players on CL knockout stage teams? Did they have players who often started on Serie A leading team or the fifth best BPL team? On Man U?

I think the flaw in your argument is that it is no means give that we will get two teams better than us and that have players that meet these benchmarks better than the USMNT does.

Excellency and CTS26 repped this.
  8. ClevelandForce

Jan 27, 2010

He did say “But why not [go] a bit further than you ever did before?", but then follows it up with, "Why not [give] the big nations, whoever that is, a real battle?".
    I would argue that we have given the big nations a real battle, at every WC after 1990 (except for 1998). And until Klinsi takes a US team to wins akin to Colombia ('94), Portugal ('02), or Spain ('09), a tie as monumental as Italy ('06), or knockout "battles" in the WC/ConfedCup like Brazil ('94), Germany ('02), Brazil ('09), or Ghana ('10), I think he needs to rein in his judgements about prior US achievements.

(That being said, I think we can go farther than we have before, and Klinsi can take us there. But please: I've seen the US give the big nations "real battles" before in games that mattered, and that's actually the reason why I'm optimistic about the future.)

FLSoccerGran, swedust, russ and 9 others repped this.
  9. neems

neems Member+

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Apr 14, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is pretty much how I interpret it. I said at one point we would be working to get rid of old mentalities and this is a good, short description of something I couldn't form at the time (specifically the bold points). We're obviously not there yet, but if we can start gaining a higher level of confidence then the expectations will follow. It's only when expectation supersedes the confidence of the players that we get into trouble. Previous teams had the "tough" underdog, us-against-the-world mentality, but I seriously think that just does not translate between age groups and is not really sustainable long-term.

Not giving all the props to Klinsmann (so many great people involved over the years), but at the same time I really don't think everything he says is hollow or empty; he is reckless enough to say some of this stuff in public! Enough to make people hate his guts.

10. DCURFK

DCURFK Member

May 26, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ehhh... Love all the things Klins has done. However, he is a bit dismissive, overly so sometimes, of our past successes. Sure some were ugly wins and gutted out with lack of talent, focus, or technical ability but they are our memories, fond ones at that.

Honestly... being a "great" soccer power is the goal and is what I want to see happen but doesn't mean I won't look back with fondness the scrappy wins we have had... and truly, I think I may enjoy those "SHOOT THE DAMN BALL!!" moments more than some of the more recent "better" runs of play. :) I'm a sucker for punishment I suppose.

11. manq360

manq360 Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Portland, OR
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I did love it when he was asked if we could win the world cup. He answered as above, but it took him a second...like he didn't quite know how to answer. I liked his answer because it was truthful. Also I like his attitude. In his early days, Arena was okay, but I will never forget his negativity regarding the 2006 WC start against the Czech Republic. He kept going on and on about what a good team they were...I think he had his team really worried about the game. We all know the outcome. Was not DMB the left back?

12. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    I'm confused; what were the "old mentalities" that he's getting rid of?

13. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    The ones from the 1980's that he keeps referring back to and he believes still exist.

StillKickin repped this.
  14. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    Ah. That one.

I mean...he's done an excellent job in 2013 (really, really excellent) but the taking-credit-for-things-that-have-been-a-thing-for-years thing is just...ugh.

He's a very good self promoter.

15. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    I agree 2013 has been a good year for results and style of play, but he has for a long time before he was ever hired, talked about the state of US Soccer as if it 15 years earlier. His opinion was basically that of the lazy European opinion on US Soccer.

FLSoccerGran and Dignan repped this.
  16. oscar_in_fw

oscar_in_fw Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Kansas City
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We got possibly the best draw available to us. Two (2) mediocre European teams and a mediocre Algerian team. We were more likely to draw two good European teams and a good African/South American team. Just as we will be for 2014....

Algeria and Slovenia are not capable of fielding WC contending teams. THe USA aspires to be a WC contender. We are simply not good enough yet. Maybe good enough to beat a contender or two in a small tournament. But beating four (4) WC contending teams in a row in the WC knockout stage ?

17. MLSFan123

MLSFan123 Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Boston Area
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The US expectations are identical to ~25 other teams expectations in the WC.

1) Pray to avoid to the hardest two groups in the draw
    2) Get out of your group
    3) Win a knockout round game
    4) Hope for the best

I think we still have a long way to go to improve on these expectations.

JRNoblin, Geneva, COMtnGuy and 1 other person repped this.
  18. KickballWizard

Jun 11, 2013
    Honestly? People are going to criticize these comments? He's absolutely correct, not matter what you think of him or what he's said about other things in the past. Sure, we've given good teams tough games in the past. But the goal of this team in 2014 should still be to play the good teams tough and advance further than you have in the past (the draw will obviously have a lot to do with that).

There's nothing to question there. You obviously play to win the whole tournament, but if he said that you'd all be jumping all over those comments! His comments are spot on.

Goldtone repped this.
  19. MLSFan123

MLSFan123 Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Boston Area
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree, it was the best draw anyone could have planned out.

1) Arguably the weakest #1 draw
    2) Arguably the weakest team from the Euro bowl
    3) The weakest African team

I fear we are going to pay for that incredible 2010 draw in 2014. The opposite of that 2010 draw in 2014 would be:

Brazil, Belgium, Ivory Coast

The odds of getting out of a group like that is very very low.

RalleeMonkey repped this.
  20. MLSFan123

MLSFan123 Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Boston Area
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the point people are making is that he gave a slight bit of air like these are suddenly new and improved expectations for the US, which is not really true.

21. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    Huh? At best, he said something completely obvious and utterly unremarkable. At worst, he's downplaying the actual accomplishments of every US World Cup team that wasn't the 1998 version.

That stated goal of "play the good teams tough and advance further than you have in the past" has probably been the goal of literally every team we've sent since 1994.

22. KickballWizard

Jun 11, 2013
    And, when we're finished overanalyzing the hell out of his comments, at face value, his observations are accurate.

23. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    No, they aren't. They are non-observations. Completely and utterly useless and meaningless.

Stating something that everyone knows is true, and everyone knows isn't new isn't some sort of brilliance.

24. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    I tend to see it more as that draw was karmic compensation for getting arguably the toughest draw we could have had in 2006.

On average I would expect us to get something more like the 2002 draw: very tough, but manageable.

25. KickballWizard

Jun 11, 2013
    Never said brilliant, just accurate. Nothing to get all bent out of shape over.