News: Klinsmann on Mexico match - "A damn good result for both teams"

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by appoo, Jan 22, 2016.

1. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    http://www.espnfc.us/team/united-st...n-on-jordan-morris-clint-dempsey-and-olympics

This, ultimately, is the problem with Juergen Klinsmann. He's either a liar, or blind, or he thinks the US National Team is terrible, and can not compete with the likes of Mexico. Those are basically the only 3 options. Never mind his ridiculous comments with regards to Feilhaber, his bizarre use of players on positions they rarely play...it's his continuous downplaying of our talent, and then denigration of anyone that disagrees with him, this is what he says about MLS owners - the guys with the biggest stake in the development of US Soccer.

His opinion is that MLS owners are so ignorant of the world, that they shouldn't be allowed an opinion on the National Team, and in particular his comments when they appear to criticize MLS and players who choose to play in MLS. Or unless he goes in front of them and educates them.

He is our coach, and we have to live with that. But I wish someone from USSF would tell him to stop saying this kind of crap. All it does is create more problems, and it's utterly unbecoming of our National Team Manager. A figure that should be more uniter, than divider.

It's further a problem for the USMNT, because our prospects are going to see these comments as well. They have eyes, and they often are weighing in on a MLS contract.

2. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    California - Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Blah. Blah. Blah. Rinse. Repeat. Blah. Blah.Blah.

Yawn. Arena was a real uniter. Not.

Statman repped this.
  3. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    Unfortunately, this is the problem.

4. Susaeta

Susaeta BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 3, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There are a lot of other options. The real issue is Klinsmann has pissed off so many people, yours will be the typical reaction to anything Klinsmann says, no matter how benign.

I do not care if the US coach pisses off MLS owners. Bruce Arena did, and from what I understand they had it coming. I do not even care if the US coach pisses off some players. That is part of the gig.

What no coach can do is erode his own credibility in the process, to the tipping point where all parties give him a vote of no confidence.

If not for Gulati, Klinsmann would already be fired.

5. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    I tended to disagree with Bruce Arena's bombastic style and arrogance. And I don't believe his comments to be benign.

I simply can not understand how anyone could have watched that USA - Mexico match, and came away thinking what Klinsmann did. I've generally learned to ignore the crap he says, but there's certain things I believe shouldn't be allowed to go unsanctioned. Like when he blamed the players for not attacking and basically getting run over by Belgium, and here he says Mexico - USA was an even match and the critics are just too ignorant to understand.

There's also a difference between pissing off MLS owners and belittling them. Essentially calling them ignorant is going too far. They are hugely important to US Soccer, and if they ever get mad enough they can make the world a lot more difficult for the National Team.

Papillon Soo Soo, Berks and FLSoccerGran repped this.
  6. swedust

swedust Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    Well, in the old days we would have said:

ESPN hates US soccer.

soccersubjectively and kokoplus10 repped this.
  7. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    You know, Jurgen, it can be "super exciting" if you buy a ticket and sit in the stands and watch.

Your job is to win this game, and other games.

Your job is not to "sell" disappointing results. Your job is to work toward and actually achieve better results.

(You can "see a lot more than the result" even if you aren't managing the team. And I hope you transition out of your current roles asap. Thanks.)

Honore de Ballsac and FLSoccerGran repped this.
  8. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Over the years, our A-team has had a decisive advantage over Mexico's, when not playing in Azteca stadium. But from the first game of his tenure, Klinsmann put Mexico up on a pedestal in comparison to us, when on our own home soil he decided to play one attacker, conceding about 75% possession, until he brought in a couple subs in the 60th-70th minute. We were building momentum as a nation becoming more prideful in their football playing ability. But, out of ignorance/small-mindedness ("different levels of continents" couldn't drive it home more), and his own ego scapegoating players to avoid accountability for his own failures, he's managed to considerably lower the standard of American futbol and (re)recreated an inferiority complex. Now it's commonplace again to think we shouldn't expect to get a result, even on our own home soil, against some of the better teams in CONCACAF, let alone Mexico (I thought we were just co-#1 in our region for about 20 years). And we're accustomed to hearing about orange slices, juice boxes, the sport being for women in America, and if we actually want to be decent internationally we have to exploit the rules to steal players rejected from other superior countries. We even hear those things from some who claim to be our own fans. But we're having a positive experience right now for the present and future of American futbol? That's rich.

9. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Yeah, but at that time there was Kraft, Hunt and Uncle Phil, who he works for now that owned the rest of the teams. Not quite the same as now where you have newer owners who are grasping for glory and are more aggressive.

10. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    It was Fabian Johnson's fault. Nick Rimando would have shown Jurgen's genius.

11. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Real Madrid, DC United, anywhere Pulisic plays
    Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Frankly, I'd like to bring back Bob Bradley after the World Cup.

12. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    Bridges = Burned.

I also don't think Bradley would want the job regardless if Bridges were burned or not. He's got something interesting going on in Europe, and I think he has a dream he wants to follow.

13. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    Considering how we played getting to extra time was a damn good result.

14. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    Might as well just move on and let the next generation Bradley coach at that point.

15. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Klinsmann has caused a lot of his problems with his own mouth. I can forgive his fitness craze, call ups, fall out with multiple players, tactical savvy, but you just can't run your mouth without any results. It's shows a lack of emotional IQ and makes working with others difficult.

16. Master O

Master O Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's official: Klinsmann is not only incompetent, but delusional, too.

It's going to take years to recover from the damage this guy is doing to our program.

17. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    I disagree with this, it's not like he's decimated our pool. We're easily better than what we've shown, as Klinsmann has actively made is worse due to his tactics (lack of) and personell selection, but it's an accurate statement to say that we've hit a shallow point in our player pool.

A new coach puts us where we we belong, co-leaders of CONCACAF, outside the top 20.

Klinsmann has us no better than 4th in CONCACAF and probably in the 40s.

coldfusion and tab5g repped this.
  18. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    Yeah, but he'll tell you it is because we are all naive as fans and an immature soccer nation and MLS is pretty much worthless.

deuteronomy repped this.
  19. napper

napper Member+

Jan 14, 2014
    Fullerton
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Imagine if we had come out to play?

P.S. JK is full of shit.

20. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    He'll make a great monorail salesman once we're finally rid of him. What a fool. Only a dope could draw that conclusion from the Mexico game and only someone completely convinced he's talking to rubes would try and sell the fanbase on that garbage.

21. soccerusa517

soccerusa517 Member+

Jun 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    People who back Klinsmann 100 percent without question are delusional. Even a supporter of his must realize he too has faults. Not to say Bob didn't either. But what bothers me is this blind, kool-aid drinking fan who bows at his feet because of his talking points. They think Klinsmann can change US soccer's structure and pyramid just by throwing players on the bus in the media and bashing MLS. It doesn't work like that.

The "you should be thankful you have me as a coach" is pretty obvious as others have said. He really does think this way, it's arrogant and not a good look when you consider we haven't progressed at all. He's no Mourinho.

His only usefulness is his connections from his playing days. Outside of that he's an average coach.

deuteronomy and FLSoccerGran repped this.
  22. coldfusion

coldfusion Member

Dec 3, 2003
    SoFla / SoCal
    #23 coldfusion, Jan 23, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2016
    I doubt if he believes his own bullshit anymore. And the "new" fans he attracted will soon be drifting away, after a few more crappy WCQ performances. His tenure has entered its death spiral. The problem is that it could last two years.

23. Socarchist

Socarchist Member+

Feb 21, 2010
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Wow, just wow. Losing a one-off playoff match to your biggest rival in your home country is a "good result?" Right after finishing fourth in the Gold Cup with the team largely quitting in the game against Panama.

Seriously, the guy should just shut his mouth, collect his over sized paycheck, and hope the players he has demeaned publicly (and most assuredly, privately) still play hard for him against Guatemala in March.

From the article, Klinsmann says, "I think it's great if people have their opinion out there, that they express that opinion. But I think before they express their opinion, they should give me a call and ask what is really going on. Because a lot of people mention their thoughts without even knowing what is really going on."

Anyone have his number?

24. Geneva

Geneva LA for Life

Feb 5, 2003
    Southern Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the MLS owners should pick up the phone and inundate him with calls. "If they only would talk to me, lonely me, I would convince them of the rightness of my being."

After all these years, many of us could and did write these quotes for JK. He is a broken record.

deuteronomy and FLSoccerGran repped this.