News: Klinsmann - "I'm not playing anyone out of position"

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by appoo, Mar 28, 2016.

1. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA

He's a flat out liar. He's got more people out of their club/natural positions, then he does in their natural positions. That's not even exaggerating. It's literally the truth

GK - Tim Howard, GK/Bench
    RB - Geoff Cameron, CB/DM
    CB - Orozco, CB/Bench (being generous here)
    CB - Omar Gonzalaz, CB (whoo!)
    LB - Edgar Castillo, LB (whoo!)
    DM - Mix Diskerum (CM)
    RW - DeAndre Yedlin (RB)
    LW - Alejandro Bedoya (RB)
    AM - Michael Bradley (CM)
    FW - Clint Dempsey, FW (whoo!)
    ST - Bobby Wood, ST (whoo!)

FOUR

OWN(yewu)ED and Berks repped this.
  2. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    What in the ever loving hell?

3. Andy_B

Andy_B Member+

Feb 2, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bedoya is not a RB (that was probably just a typo). At club level he plays CM and RM

Pl@ymaker and COMtnGuy repped this.
  4. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    Sorry, it was a typo.

Andy_B repped this.
  5. Andy_B

Andy_B Member+

Feb 2, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some people must have missed this. It was talked about in one of the threads this morning.

The quote comes from the press conference this morning. He said it twice to emphasize it.

6. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    Haha I've gone into rage mode. I think all of his BS quotes should get their own threads. I know US Soccer reads this stuff.

7. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    That is some great monorail sales-ing...Jesus.

Of course, our lapdog press probably didn't point out the fact that he was flat out lying.

8. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    yankthisyank'swank and WrmBrnr repped this.
  9. Maximum Optimal

Maximum Optimal Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    If you believe what you are saying is true is it a lie. Those of you who think he is lying are giving the guy way too much credit.

deuteronomy, Mr Martin and SamsArmySam repped this.
  10. GiallorossiYank

GiallorossiYank Member+

Jan 20, 2011
    NJ/Roma/Napoli
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    IMO...

MB is a #8
    Yedlin is a RB
    Cameron can play RB at an elite level (Has played there for Stoke)... I'm pretty sure he has more minutes at RB in the Prem than CDM

Playing MB in a box to box role allows him to have a #10, Duece and Bobby Wood in front of him... We can get more offense this way

11. dlokteff

dlokteff Member+

Jan 22, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    Actually Dempsey been playing a left attacking midfield role thus far for Sounders (not saying he should but...) and some people have said Castillo plays left wing for his Mexican team (I dunno, don't watch it). So maybe it's only

TWO.

deuteronomy and exref repped this.
  12. iad_22201

iad_22201 Member+

Jan 2, 2009
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #12 iad_22201, Mar 28, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2016
    Over the course of his PL career at Stoke he has more minutes at RB than at CB and CDM combined (and it isn't even close...a quick look at the numbers says over 2x more).

With that being said given the available personnel last Friday, I think JK should have played Geoff at CB and Yedlin at RB.

13. Susaeta

Susaeta BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 3, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1. He is playing guys out of their best positions.

2. He is playing combinations of guys who have never played together previously. Castillo and Bedoya have - in my memory - never played together on the left. Same with Yedlin and Cameron on the right. Orozco and Gonzalez in the middle... I am not sure, but if they have played as partners, it has been a while. And then you have combinations like Diskerud and Bradley who most of us knew and said would not work.

The second issue is worse than the first. Klinsmann had an entire year to experiment and settle. The tinkering never stopped because the experiments never really worked, and so the US is still trying to settle on a core.

RespectTheGame, comoesa, exref and 8 others repped this.
  14. GiallorossiYank

GiallorossiYank Member+

Jan 20, 2011
    NJ/Roma/Napoli
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with that... Yedlin at RB, Cam at CB, Bedoya RM, Pulisic LM

15. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    This shouldn't be that difficult.

We can be very strong up the gut, if you settled on the fact the have a stable of Centerbacks we can use, a quality DM in Cameron, a pair of guys who can excel in that #8 role in Bradley and Bedoya, and even a couple of strikers in Wood and Jozy.

You can build a team around that. We have options at RB and LB, we have multiple options to play a 3 man central midfield, as we have some options to play in that creative attacking role ahead of Cameron, one of Bradley and Bedoya, when you consider Mixx, Nagbe, and Lee Nguyen, and some up and comers like Luis Gil.

The only thing we don't really have are wingers other than Fabian Johnson. But we can easily adapt a system that uses our Wingbacks to provide the width.

exref and Mr Martin repped this.
  16. dude8

dude8 Member

Apr 2, 2002
    phoenix
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The press is just now figuring this out? We've known it here for quite some time.

Fanatical Monk repped this.
  17. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    doesn't Jurgen realize the interweb is forever?

18. nbstriker8

nbstriker8 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 10, 2008
    new beige
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mix and Michael played as (terrible) CMs in a flat 4 Friday.

The only truly out of position player (Bedoya playing as LM while being RM isn't egregious) is Yedlin.

Now, that's Friday. That's not going back to the fall and last summer. Those had some egregiously bad decisions of positions.

19. TeamUSA

TeamUSA Member

Nov 24, 1999
    Tianjin, China
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow, just wow. "It's not a lie, if you believe it" -- George Costanza.

George Costanza just got out done by Jurgen Klinsmann. Jurgen, it is time for you to f-off, and this is from a guy who had the man crush on you. Jurgen your new nickname is the Wizard of Oz.

Sunil Gulati I can't believe you would allow your USMNT Manager to flat out lie. I am so disappointed in our federation. I'll be very disappointed if the players remain silent. I understand it is not professional, but at some point someone has to speak up in the face of lies, even if it is anonymously done.

Win, draw, or lose on Tuesday you need to resign, quit, or take a permanent vacation...however you want to spin your departure.

russ and SeminoleTom repped this.
  20. iad_22201

iad_22201 Member+

Jan 2, 2009
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Having watched a lot of him at Stoke over the past 4 years, I actually think CB is his worst...

John McGuirk repped this.
  21. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    Exactly, and it was evident from his first year in charge. Remember that stretch where he kept playing Danny Williams on the right wing? How many games did it take before he finally realized it wasn't going to work?

yankthisyank'swank repped this.
  22. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    yeah okay, no one at all has been played out of position. ;)

23. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    I find his right side defense for the Nats to be his worst spot.

But this is the manager saying one thing and then saying another because, well, that his best quality.

24. NE till i die

NE till i die Member+

Jun 26, 2010
    Stoughton, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    *Takes deep breath*

Jurgen Klinsmann did not put anyone in a position they haven't played before on Friday. Did every player play in what most consider their best position? No. But I don't think there was anything too outlandish in the lineup. Now you can argue which players should or should not have been on the field but that's another thing altogether (And I would agree on a few).

Geoff Cameron has spent many games at RB for club (in the Premier League!) and country. Bradley has been playing a more attacking midfield role for the US for awhile now and has played there at TFC. Bedoya has spent most of his time in a US shirt out on the wing. Mix has seemed to transition to a deeper role in the midfield (for better or for worse) so he's played their before. I think many have seem to forgotten how great Yedlin was at the World Cup coming in at RM. Yes, he is a natural right back but he can also be effective further up the field. Orozco has always been a CB so I'm not sure the complaining about his position.

*Exhales*

25. NE till i die

NE till i die Member+

Jun 26, 2010
    Stoughton, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Klinsmann has absolutely played players out of position before and that certainly has been a valid criticism of him of late but I just didn't see it Friday.

I apologize for not being another Klinsmann-basher