Alert: Klinsmann expresses absolute desire to continue coaching past the 2014 World Cup

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by deuteronomy, Oct 15, 2013.

1. Mr Martin

Mr Martin Member+

Jun 12, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now that the draw is out...

If the US advances to the Round of 16, JK should stay on for another cycle. He will have earned it.

If the US plays well and manages 2-4 points but fails to advance to the Round of 16, I would still be open to him continuing for a full cycle. He really has only gotten a good understanding for the US player pool in the last 12 months, and he's still a rather new coach in the bigger scheme of things, so he will not have worn out his welcome nor gotten to the point where the players are tired of him and tune him out.

If the US plays poorly and manages no more than 1 point in the group phase, then I'd say the USSF should look elsewhere.

2. Android Cat

Android Cat Member+

Sep 16, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fair enough.

I can't remember the last time he got any card to be honest. But I can tell you how many times he's pulled a Ricardo Clark and given the ball away as of late. That should be a big concern going forward unless he cleans up his act between now and June.

3. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    If we advance he stays. He has made his benchmark.

Failing to advance means every minute of play is put under the microscope.

Let's not forget something: we lost to Honduras and Costa Rica away. Jamaica did a better job of playing in Azteca than we did. We managed a listless draw at Guatemala in the first round of quali's. 3 games like that and Jurgen can forget it.

4. Soul Rebel

Soul Rebel Member

Dec 6, 2013
    USA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    #154 Soul Rebel, Dec 9, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2013
    Yes, if the USMNT advances from the GOD (no matter how pretty or ugly), then yes, JK deserves another cycle. In fact, it might be just what the USA needs.

Edit: In addition, I can't see any other coach at this time more suited to for the job.

5. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    There are a lot of managers on planet earth.

We can point to many things Klinsi has done right but the test is not qualifying for the World Cup in Columbus Ohio. The test is taking team USA to the jungles of Brazil in summer and getting into the round of 16.

SuperChivo repped this.
  6. Soul Rebel

Soul Rebel Member

Dec 6, 2013
    USA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    But this is exactly what I was saying. Klinsi gets us to the round of 16, then yes, worth another cycle. Getting us FURTHER than the round of 16 ensures his tenure.

7. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I was replying to your edit which said you dont see any manager more suited to the USMNT job than Klinsi.

His contract expires in August 2014. We will examine all the options at that time and I believe there are many candidates we could consider, however, if we succeed to reach the round of 16 I believe Klinsi will have right of first refusal.

8. Soul Rebel

Soul Rebel Member

Dec 6, 2013
    USA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    #158 Soul Rebel, Dec 9, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2013
    Okay, fair enough. But if Klinsi does not do well in WC, then his contract can be paid off and USA can choose whoever it deems fit, ASAP.

Edit: I still see no other coach, at this point, considering our opponents in the GOD, who is more uniquely qualified than JK, humbly speaking. Give it some time.

9. SaltyCatter

SaltyCatter Member

Feb 16, 2009
    The West
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd say that last sentence is very wrong-headed at this time. The US, as we all know, drew an incredibly difficult group. No matter the result in this WC, he should be extended for the next cycle. As you allude to in you mid-para, and as he himself stated in remarks in the OP, he really is just getting started.

Whatever the fate of the US next year, Klinsi has more than earned an extension; with the way he had been working domestically, and pulling in players who have international eligibility, I'm Hugely impressed with his performance and a *possible* poor showing in Brazil won't have me 'Blame it on Klinsi.'

This isn't the time to buckle and throw in the towel, we need to stay the course and let us see how far Kapitan can sail this ship!

10. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    No, this is all wrong. We have few domestic players moving to Europe during his tenure. Klinsi even said he was against Shea moving to Stoke. He lost to Costa Rica and Honduras away and was unimpressive against Mexico at Azteca compared to what others did and he could only manage a draw against Guatemala away during quali's. Watching Klinsi beat up on minnows in Columbus for 4 years using MLS players then complaining about how tough our group is in Russia in 2018 for our 11 bi national players is not something I want to sit thru. Time for a new direction. I commend Klinsi for his political agility but I want to start moving the chains as far as USSOCCER is concerned.

11. SuperChivo

SuperChivo Member

Jun 23, 2009
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Keep in mind Bruce Arena was summarily canned after 2006 for failing to advance in a very difficult group and after having led the US through an excellent World Cup 4 years earlier and through a fantastic qualifying cycle leading up to that World cup. At the time I was all for it but now I realize how silly it was not to let him finish his contract and simply hire another after it expired. My point is, that is the expectation for the US team is advancement, and anything less has been treated as a failure.
    I don't want Klinsmann to fired if we don't advance but I dislike the talk that his contract should be extended no matter what happens in Brazil; or even before Brazil. I have a difficult time stomaching that some want the bar to be lower for Klinsmann that it was for his predecessors. I suspect that most of them had very different opinions when the American coaches were getting similar or better results. Let it play out and then evaluate both his tenure and the options after the Cup. If he still looks like the best candidate then by all means keep him on.

12. Soul Rebel

Soul Rebel Member

Dec 6, 2013
    USA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Who is your candidate? I really would love to know, for my curiosity's sake?

13. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I dont have one and will not have one until the day the World Cup is over for USA in 2014. Jurgen Klinsmann is the Manager and we are all behind him 100 %

14. y-lee-coyote

y-lee-coyote Member+

Dec 4, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Personally I think you are all wrong. Ther aginst the move to Stoke looks fairly prescient a the moment. The losses and tie you mention are part of back to back record setting years and we have had some veryu high profile friendlies. So the perception we have beaten minnows at Columbus is a bit disrespectful in light of the whole truth and not just the negative events in the cycle.

First in the hex and half a ticket to the confeds already. Not bad for a guy who got started a year late. I want to see him get another cycle. The danger has always been if we try and be proactive at the WC we could get burned. If we go down an early goal we could beat pretty bad chasing the game against any of these three teams. I still want us to go out and play football and do something other than park the bus and hoof it up the field. I don't mind long passes to try and beat a high press, but I want us to play defense by possession like we did at Azteca and I want to see some attacking football. If we don't get out of the group doing that I want him to continue and to me that is raising the bar (don't like the pointy ball metaphor you used) that will yield long term results.

15. SaltyCatter

SaltyCatter Member

Feb 16, 2009
    The West
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was referring to players who have dual nationality and could have played for other countries, he has been brilliant in bringing these type of guys on board and their varied experiences from other soccer federations and leagues.

Not sure where you are getting the beating up on minnows and then looking to make excuses...I don't see Klinsi rollin' that way!

As far as moving chains, he already took a big step in that direction when in his remarks after the drawing he dismissed notions that the US was some sort of underdog. This is a huge step, if the US can stop playing that very low risk/low reward role maybe they can move the chains. Haven't seen anyone else with that kind of gumption.

Go Klinsi! :D

y-lee-coyote repped this.
  16. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    breaking right now on multiple fronts on Twitter that JK has been extended 4 more years and includes title of technical director.

17. Jersey1

Jersey1 Member

Oct 8, 2012
    New Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry about that whole Group of Death thing Jurgen. We like you so to preempt any fan whining when we crash out after 3 games please accept this absurdly early contact extension.

I for one welcome our new German overlords.

18. USOutlaw16

USOutlaw16 Member+

Green Bay Voyageurs
    United States
    Jan 22, 2011
    On the Gringo Wall of Shame
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. y-lee-coyote

y-lee-coyote Member+

Dec 4, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I think it is good because now he can go for it in Brazil. No need to play it safe and revert to our old nature. If the pressure was really on for results it could hinder our desire to try and play attacking soccer.