Alert: Klinsmann expresses absolute desire to continue coaching past the 2014 World Cup

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by deuteronomy, Oct 15, 2013.

1. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    #51 RalleeMonkey, Oct 17, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2013
    And, if you listen to the Beeb, their commentators feel that was a very bad team by England standards - almost embarassingly so.

2. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    By "people," I'm guessing Spencer was responding to the one person in this entire thread that brought up the 2010 WC group.

3. West Coast Futbol

May 7, 2008
    The Beach

4. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    says who? the 2010 draw was the best draw ever! I don't think I will ever see a good draw like that in my lifetime.

Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  5. tbonepat11

tbonepat11 Member+

Jun 21, 2001
    I think the World Cup will obviously play a part. Much of the typical staleness I think wouldn't happen with JK just by looking at how he has handled players either under performing or attitude problems in the past.

He was not hesitant to put Donovan, Altidore and recently (maybe) Dempsey in the dog house.

Even more important is the players believe in him. The is very important. Winning tends to do that. Now I am sure we will hit a slump (hopefully after the WC) and that would be a tough test for JK. How he handles that will be interesting.

Regardless I want JK to be texhnical director and continue with his long term goals. Getting a plan enacted over 20 years is how we turn our country into a factory of stars.

6. PStevenson1082

May 28, 2012
    Club:
    FC Barcelona

There have been some easier draws but we've never been apart of them. Not even when we hosted in 1994. Most.... take that back..... All of them have been moderate. No group of death(yet)... I really believe it's coming because we've never had a GOD draw(at least I think).

7. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Easiest #1 seed?

Switzerland, Colombia and Uruguay? (Maybe Italy).

8. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    We haven't really gotten that horrific draw at the senior level.................but we've gotten some doozies at the youth level.

The recent 2013 U20 World Cup draw with Spain, France, and Ghana was essentially the toughest draw we could have possibly gotten based on the pots. Absurd.

We didn't win a game and everybody considers it a disaster. We could have been drawn in a group of Uzbekistan, New Zealand, and Greece................gotten 7-9 points in the group with the roster, and everybody would have considered it a wild success.

Bluecat82, blacksun, sXeWesley and 2 others repped this.
  9. PStevenson1082

May 28, 2012
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    That isn't an easy group.... That group is moderate but very strong. IMHO, the group that we should hope to draw is group A.... Yeah, that's right..... Brazil's group. We would be the clear #2 then then it will be a #3 & 4# below us. So maybe.......

Brazil
    United States
    Iran
    Worst seed from CAF

I doubt this because the host group is always shockingly easy. Might do a diagram of the possible draw.

10. PStevenson1082

May 28, 2012
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    #60 PStevenson1082, Oct 17, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2013
    Just for entertainment purposes only and subjected to change.....

Group A

Brazil - Host
    Tunisia/Cameroon - #5 CAF Winner
    Australia - #4 AFC
    Mexico/New Zealand - CONCACAF/OFC Playoff

Group B
    Switzerland - #7 FIFA & UEFA Group Winner
    United States - #1 CONCACAF
    Ecuador - #4 CONMEBOL
    UEFA Playoff #1 Rank

Group C
    Uruguay?????? - #6 FIFA/CONMEBOL-AFC Playoff
    Bosnia-Herzegovina - UEFA Group Winner
    Costa Rica - #2 CONCACAF
    Burkina Faso/Algeria - #4 CAF Winner

Group D
    Belgium - #5 FIFA & UEFA Group Winner
    Nigeria/Ethiopia - #3 CAF Winner
    Honduras - #3 CONCACAF
    Korea Republic - #3 AFC

Group E
    Colombia - #4 FIFA & #2 CONMEBOL
    Russia - UEFA Group Winner
    Ghana/Egypt - #2 CAF Winner
    Italy - UEFA Group Winner

Group F
    Argentina - #3 FIFA & #1 CONMEBOL
    England - UEFA Group Winner
    Japan - #1 AFC
    UEFA Playoff # 2 Rank

Group G
    Germany - #2 FIFA & UEFA Group winner
    Ivory Coast/Senegal - #1 CAF
    Chile - #3 CONMEBOL
    UEFA Playoff #3 Rank

Group H
    Spain - #1 FIFA & UEFA Group Winner
    Netherlands - UEFA Group Winner
    Iran - #2 AFC
    UEFA Playoff #4 Rank

Hachiko repped this.
  11. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I'm usually on board with the one-cycle per coach approach, as well as the "American coach for the U.S. team" mentalities, but not in this case. Since the start of 2013, Jurgen has been essentially perfect. He's gotten his mentality and tactics through to the team, and it has us playing the best soccer I've ever seen an American team play. To throw that away after the next World Cup would be foolish, I think.

I'm almost to the point where I think Jurgen should stay regardless of the WC result. If we get blown out in all three group games, regardless of the opponents, then my tune will change. But, if we get drawn into a Group of Death (as we will, unless Mexico loses the playoff, I think), and still manage to put up a good show without advancing, I say keep him around.

This attitude is also the result of there not really being any suitable American coaches right now. Looking at the American coaches in MLS + Bradley, in my personal order of resume strength:

Arena (4 MLS Cups, 3 SS, 1 USOC, 2 GC) - No retreads
    Bradley (1 MLS Cup, 2 USOC, 1 GC) - Same
    Schmid (2 MLS Cups, 2 SS, 4 USOC) - Teams show a lack of mental strength in playoffs/late season
    Kinnear (2 MLS Cups) - Ugly soccer, wouldn't be a good fit with the national team
    Kreis (1 MLS Cup) - Unimpressive since RSL's CCL run
    Vermes (1 USOC) - Getting good results in KC, questions about character and player selection
    Hyndman - Hasn't won anything in 4.5 seasons
    Olsen (1 USOC) - Lack of experience/questionable managerial talent (13th, 3rd, 19th place league finishes)
    Porter - Lack of experience
    Petke - Lack of experience
    Heaps - Bad results in NE/lack of experience
    Klopas - Definition of mediocre in Chicago
    Hackworth - Middling results, seems like he has issues with player management
    Bliss - Lack of experience, is he really even a head coach?

This list shows me that there are a lot of potential US managers out there, but who could use a few years of seasoning before they're ready for the job. Of the "qualified" coaches, there aren't really any who I would want at the helm over Jurgen. Given this, I think the situation is aligned perfectly for Jurgen to serve another 4-year term as national team manager, and then hopefully hand off the reins to one of Kreis/Vermes/Olsen/Porter/Petke/Heaps after a successful Russia 2018.

KidFlash repped this.
  12. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    The thing is, during the last 16 games with 15 wins, we've only played Bradley and Dempsey a third of the games.

We've had a different lineup every game, 16 different players have scored during the streak. Four keepers have won. We've outscored our opponents 47-17 and had 7 shutouts.

We have beat some weak teams, but we've also won on European soil, on the road in WCQs, in tournament pressure and short turnaround games. We've beaten 3 teams going to the WC (maybe 4 if Mexico makes it).

In other words, Klinnsman has done something very special. This wasn't like Spain from '08, where virtually the same lineup was used game after game.

There have been fundamental changes in the program. Our mindset is MUCH different. It's okay to raise our expectations.

Wessoman, Martin Fischer and Namdynamo repped this.
  13. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    Are there more good teams this cycle? It's like almost every possible group would suck and would be scary. Like, we wouldn't have a chance against any Conmebol team? Or, just about any Euro team?

What are the chances our group will be tougher than Italy, CR, Ghana was? It'll certainly be tougher than the 2010 group, and we were fortunate to escape that one.

In short, I think we couple play very well and not get out of our group.

14. whitecloud

whitecloud Member+

Jan 25, 2009
    Gulf Shores, AL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With the way the team has been playing in 2013 I honestly think Group of Death, bring it on. A couple of items come into play in the draw: 2 of the 4 groups seeded by a UEFA team will get both another UEFA and Chile or Ecuador, 1 of the 4 Conmebol seeded groups will get two UEFA teams. So we already know structurally which 3 groups will be hardest.

15. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    This is exactly the mindset that Klinnsman needs to have the team in come next summer. Don't worry about who is in the group, just beat the team in front of you.

16. Sachsen

Sachsen Member+

Aug 8, 2003
    Broken Arrow, Okla.
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True enough

USvsIRELAND repped this.
  17. whitecloud

whitecloud Member+

Jan 25, 2009
    Gulf Shores, AL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Klinsmann has done lots of good things, but you're way off here. Its a hard fact that Klinsmann has utilized a much smaller group of players than Bradley ever did. Let's not give Klinsmann credit for things he flat out hasn't done.

18. y-lee-coyote

y-lee-coyote Member+

Dec 4, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Wut?

gotta link for that?

jeff_adams repped this.
  19. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    Huh? I just counted 38 names that Klinsmann capped in the last 16 games. Not called in, but actually put on the field. In what 16 game stretch did Bradley play more guys? What was the record during that period?

20. Spursfan1

Spursfan1 Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What? Jurgen has called up an enormous number of different players over the past 2 1/2 years. So did Bob.

21. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    Just to make it clear, when I used the Spain '08 reference, I wasn't talking about the US playing Spain and the Bradley player's pool, I was talking about the Spanish international dominance of winning so many games and comparing that team to our current NATs streak. They played a lot of Barca and Real Madrid players, certainly no where near the 38 different players we've used.

22. Android Cat

Android Cat Member+

Sep 16, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What about Bruce Arena for a third term, assuming Klinsmann decides to abscond? I kinda liked him (Bruce)....

23. blacksun

blacksun Member+

Mar 30, 2006
    Seoul, Korea
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was an absurdly difficult group - the eventual tournament champion (France), 3rd place team (Ghana, who was knocked out by France), and Spain. You can make a case that France, Ghana, and Spain were 3 of the 4 best teams in the tournament (with the 4th being Uruguay, who knocked out Spain).

I really, really hope we don't get the same draw for the World Cup.

24. irish56

irish56 Member+

Oct 30, 2006
    indy
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In the last 16 matches of 2009, Bob Bradley played 43 different players. 18 different scorers. Made the final of the confederations cup, finished first in the hex.

25. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    It's been well established that both Bob and JK have called up multiple players in the hex and pretty much tried every useful player they could find. Trying to figure out who came out on top is pretty pointless.

Mr Martin repped this.