Alert: Klinsmann expresses absolute desire to continue coaching past the 2014 World Cup

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by deuteronomy, Oct 15, 2013.

1. Unak78

Unak78 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 17, 2007
    PSG & Enyimba FC
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    A big part of this depends on how he does in Brazil. There's no splitting hairs, he almost has to get to the quarters for this to truly be a success. He's raised the bar. Making the knockouts would still be good bc the WC isn't exactly easy. But I think most people are expecting more than that now and they aren't exactly wrong for that. Quarterfinals and he's got another 4 years for sure. Even the knockouts following a really strong group performance might get it for him.

2. Sachsen

Sachsen Member+

Aug 8, 2003
    Broken Arrow, Okla.
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And if Donovan wouldn't have scored that last gasp goal, we wouldn't have made it out of the group.

3. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Using too many parentheses
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    Sick Rounders reference.

4. West Coast Futbol

May 7, 2008
    The Beach
    I subscribe to the line of thinking that Lost University touched on above. That is, the results of managers in a second cycle are generally less than expected.

Assuming a good showing in Brazil, the opportunity for US Soccer IMO is to support the foundation laid by JK by retaining JK in a very visible (and authoritative) role while successfully transitioning into the manager role a replacement. Should the replacement fail, JK could always step in at "the last minute".

IMO in the scenario above, it is JK's call on his replacement; not Gulati's. Can/will Sunil let a subordinate make the call? That is going to be the issue post Brazil.

5. keller4president

Jan 5, 2006
    I want an American coach after 2014 - Jurgen has done his job well, but now it's time to move on. Otherwise national team managers go stale after 3-4 years.

I'd like one of: Jason Kreis, Dominic Kinnear, or Peter Vermes.

6. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    I'm more-or-less on board with what you're talking about. But the sticking point to me is "who exactly is the replacement?" That's a big deal. If it's somebody like Herzog, I think that could be a good thing. Not so much if it's Vasquez. If Herzog, working for/with Technical Director Klinsmann wanted to keep on Vasquez as an assistant on his staff, that's fine.

I do want Klinsi to stick around, but I don't think I want Klinsmann coaching us day-to-day next cycle. I think we'll need a new set of eyes and a new voice selecting rosters and starting lineups and talking to the guys at halftime, lest we get into a lull. But Klinsi can talk to him. And Klinsi can hire/fire our youth national team coaches, work with the D.A., and set the curriculum and structure of coach and referee education in this country, and so forth.

7. MMJ4mil

MMJ4mil Member

Apr 7, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Iraq
    He should be the technical director after 2014.

MLS coach such as Jason Kreis should be our NT coach...

8. Dignan

Dignan Member+

Nov 29, 1999
    Granada
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The jury is still out. Everything depends on Brazil. That is the standard. If he does well, great we can give him another cycle. If it is a trainwreck, we need a new guy.

JK has had a good run this year and has done very well, insane decisions be damned. But, that has made most forget crazy talking, defensive bunkering, Danny Williams is our best RM JK. But, now the stakes go up and all the chips are on the table, so we will finally see.

9. keller4president

Jan 5, 2006
    Regardless if we lose all 3 matches, or win the World Cup - I still want a new coach after 2014. No matter how Jurgen does, he will have done the best he can with the players he has at his disposal.

Really - if we reach the quarters or semis or even the final, there's no guarantee he could repeat that success in 2018 (or do better).

10. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As I said/posted before, depends on who we get in the round of 16.

If we finish 2nd in the group we could face

Brazil, Argentina, Spain, Netherlands, Germany.

I would not expect us to get passed any of those 5 so hopefully we get a different 1st place team (Belgium would also be scary), or we can win the group (those 5 teams could also stumble in the group and finish 2nd).

11. MLSNHTOWN

MLSNHTOWN Member+

Oct 27, 1999
    Houston, TX
    I think our track record in having coaches return for a second world cup cycle speaks for itself.

12. drgonzo

drgonzo Member+

Jun 1, 2011
    Club:
    San Diego Flash
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like the idea of one and done for a national team manager. JK should step aside after the WC and be the Chief Technical Director of US soccer instead. I'm not sure who would be next up. If it's an American you'd imagine guys like Kries or Vermes up there. Who knows who the foreign coach would be. After the next cycle (so for WC 2022), I wouldn't mind Porter getting a shot (if he's still doing well) when we have more his style players to choose from in our pool.

13. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kries looks like he wants NYCFC. Vermes/Kinnear I have far less confidence in coaching our NT than bringing Jurgen back another cycle. Kinnear is probably the most overrated coach on these boards. Hou often plays ugly, tactically poor footy and he has a shit understanding of the players and quality he needs for the system he's tried to implement for years. Just look at Hou's roster. He has little clue what he's doing. Guys like Porter/Kries produce far better footy with similar wage bills. Kinnear is more Tony Pulis than Caleb Porter, even though I know Hou fans will disagree.

Porter is the MLS coach I'd have confidence in, yet I think next cycle is too early. Maybe 2019-2022.

Another factor is there will likely be a fair bit of player turnover next cycle. Fair amount of new talent will be brought in over the next 3 years. The old guard will slowly get replaced, even guys like Landon/Clint. I don't think it gets stale next cycle. Not with this up and coming generation.

Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  14. Statman

Statman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think national team coaches should get two cycles, though to be fair, JK hasn't had a complete one yet due to the fact that he was appointed after the 2011 Gold Cup.

I love what JK has done for the team, but unless we get a quarterfinal or semifinal run in Brazil next year, we should look to a new coach after the World Cup.

Marcelo Bielsa perhaps?

15. oscar_in_fw

oscar_in_fw Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Kansas City
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And England was one of the weaker of the european teams we could have drawn. That was likely the best possible draw to get the USA to survive the group stage. Odds are we will have a much tougher draw in Brazil.

16. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    And if the referee in the Slovenia game wasn't an idiot we'd have 7 points out of 9. THere are a lot of "ifs"

KidFlash, Dirt McGirt, Mr Martin and 2 others repped this.
  17. Unak78

Unak78 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 17, 2007
    PSG & Enyimba FC
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    This too is in our hands. Win in the group stage and get an "easier" opponent. It's something to judge him on but not the only thing. The circumstances and general progress will be taken into account as well.

18. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I agreed up to the part abput letting Klinsi pick a replacement. That usually is not a good idea, imo.

19. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Statman, I like the way you back your opinion up with a replacement. It isnt enough to say Klinsi falls short; it only matters if a better replacement can be nominated. This thread needs a post from somebody who is knowledgable about salaries who can tell us who would realistically be available. Chelsea managers always get released quickly so Mourinho should be looking for a job but would we be anywhere near his demands? Capiello has done a great job with Russia. How will Pepe make out with Bayern? How much would we pay up for a top notch prospect? I dont know much about this stuff so maybe one of our posters could lay down some realistic parameters.

20. oscar_in_fw

oscar_in_fw Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Kansas City
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I do not know if it is always a good idea to replace the National coach after one (1) WC cycle. Jurgen has earned a second "term" because of the qualification campaign. Maybe I'd change my mind if the USA gets zero points at the WC. The WC is always a crapshoot; we very likely will be underdogs to at least two (2) of the teams we will be facing in the group stage.

21. soccerusa517

soccerusa517 Member+

Jun 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Vermes got out coached by Kinnear in playoffs last 2 years. Kinnear is more Bruce Arena mold. Porter and Kreis play your more proactive style. Porter isn't ready, he ********ed up in Olympic qualifying. But no guarantee Kreis is ready either.

Kreis
    Kinnear
    Sigi

Next cycle will be without Dempsey and Donovan. I bet good money they retire from internationals after the World Cup.

22. irish56

irish56 Member+

Oct 30, 2006
    indy
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Klinsmann is German, there have been a few German coaches that have had success after their first cycle....as in winning WCs...

23. irish56

irish56 Member+

Oct 30, 2006
    indy
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    My impression is that BB was trying to re-work the team a little. Test new things while we had a lot of time to try things out. Great, in concacaf in the year after a WC. Then he got spanked by a really good Mex team. I don't think BB really deserved to be canned. But, things are going well, so I'm not griping.

blacksun repped this.
  25. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Bielsa: has the international profile but wouldn't be crazy expensive. Has a record of transforming programs; respected everywhere for his tactical nous.

Kinnear: knows how to win with limited resources. excellent record developing players. very good in knockout matches

Kreis: turned around a garbage team and has posted an exceptional record. also excellent in knockout matches including at interleague level.