Klinsmann - Everything done for favorites

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by jeffmefun, Jun 23, 2014.

1. jeffmefun

jeffmefun Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Quakeland, CA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wondering what the BS cognoscenti make of this:
    http://www.espnfc.us/fifa-world-cup/story/1904472/klinsmann-everything-done-for-favourites

Hearing our National Team coach offer what sound like whiny, pre-emptive excuses just doesn't seem becoming or respectful to our players. Maybe it was a momentary crack in his façade - understandable after having 2 points snatched away in the dying seconds - but it seemed out of place when he could have been praising the team's efforts and describing how we're ready, you know, to "Take on the world," to "Rock the boat," etc.

2. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Using too many parentheses
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    I think he was fuming after the way we gave up 2 points and that it had something to do with Jurgen resorting to saying that. I'm willing to give him a pass here, especially because he's not completely out of line when saying it.

Skevin, Mr Martin, CTS26 and 5 others repped this.
  3. ebbro

ebbro Member+

Jun 10, 2005
    I don't see how it's disrespectful to our players. To FIFA maybe for suggesting they're making it easy on the favorites, but disrespectful to our players? No.

4. witness

witness Member

Aug 8, 2003
    Yerba Buena, CA
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    He's been taking lessons from Maradona

5. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    He's right. We all saw that when the draw was made. I'm not going to get on his case for that. This draw (tonight, not the ping-pong balls) was damn hard to swallow.

SOCCERMARINE, CTS26, ImaPuppy and 2 others repped this.
  6. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    He is just stating the facts. Higher seeds get more rest. Brasil gets an extra days rest every round. They started on Thursday. Portugal and Germany started Saturday. The USA and Ghana played Sunday. The cup ( and the group stage) ends the same day for every team. Figure it out.

SPA2TACU5 repped this.
  7. SpencerNY

SpencerNY Member+

Dec 1, 2001
    Up in the skyway
    Heat of the moment, emotional reaction, what-eva. The guy wants to win and it's kind of nice to see him say what he really thinks after being treated to 3 years of canned/rehearsed answers.
    He did admit that it was our fault we were going to have to do this the hard way.

StillKickin, JC507 and jeffmefun repped this.
  8. jeffmefun

jeffmefun Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Quakeland, CA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess I was saying he's sort of suggesting that our guys aren't up for any challenge that's presented. Normally, it's all talk about how we have to be ready to play on the big stage, in any conditions, against the biggest teams. Well, that's what we're faced with. That's why we prepped. Is he now saying we aren't prepped? That we aren't ready?

9. Grogtank

Grogtank Member

Sep 5, 2009
    Vegas Baby
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It will be headlines tomorrow. It could unsettle the German squad or piss them off and make them play hard. Get back to me Thursday afternoon for more! LOL

10. Nyghtewynd

Nyghtewynd I'd Rather Walk Alone

May 30, 2006
    St. Louis, MO
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's a fair statement when the facade is that FIFA does everything they can to keep things even in this tournament...the weird tiebreak rules, the simultaneous start times in the last round, etc. But oh, BTW, Germany gets an extra rest day for the most important game. Um...what?

11. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

I'm hoping they say something like they've never heard of any of the USA players like the Italians did in 2006.

12. Kirium

Kirium Member

Jun 18, 2007
    Edmond, OK
    I don't think it's even close to what you're suggesting. In fact, I've read Jurgen's quote at least 15 times trying to see how you even came to the conclusion you did.

All Jurgen is saying is that now because of the position they are in they are going to have to do it the hard way. He's saying the other teams were set up for more rest and the US is going to do it, they are just having to earn it rather than have it given to them or arranged to make it easier for them.

To me , it sounds like he believes in the team by implying they will do it and they will do it without the benefit of FIFA making it easier for them.

Katreus, LaughingTulkas, CTS26 and 2 others repped this.
  13. jeffmefun

jeffmefun Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Quakeland, CA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've gone back and listened to the entire interview & clearly took the sucker bait of the article. Klinsi said a lot of good things about the players prior to this.

My apologies for starting a lame thread!

14. soccerusa517

soccerusa517 Member+

Jun 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I give Klinsmann a lot of shit but he was just in heat of the moment. Upset over the late goal.

jeffmefun repped this.
  15. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    you read this backwards. He was once again pinning the US to the wall saying: see everyone hates you. You are not expected to advance. There is no pressure on you.

16. CMeszt

CMeszt Member+

Farewell Sweet Prince
    Jan 9, 2004
    Gentrification's Apex.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Not nearly as bad as Howard after the 2011 Gold Cup.

17. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've been one of the first to criticize him over opening his mouth and saying vacuous stuff. This time, I'm glad he showed some real emotion and honesty rather than platitudes.

jeffmefun, MPNumber9, CTS26 and 2 others repped this.
  18. olephill2

olephill2 Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Club:
    Watford FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What did Tim Howard say after the 2011 Gold Cup?

19. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    No one should wonder if JK is invested. Though for the rare person who wonders if JK is invested, the answer of course is, "of course he is."

20. SpencerNY

SpencerNY Member+

Dec 1, 2001
    Up in the skyway
    olephill2 repped this.
  21. CMeszt

CMeszt Member+

Farewell Sweet Prince
    Jan 9, 2004
    Gentrification's Apex.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Complained for no particular reason that the award ceremony was held in Spanish.

olephill2 repped this.
  22. olephill2

olephill2 Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Club:
    Watford FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. dna77054

dna77054 Member+

Jun 28, 2003
    houston
    i wonder if we was complaining back when he played for Germany?

24. Wessoman

Wessoman Member+

Sep 26, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, but you can say this--Since JK has coached Germany and the USA, he's in a pretty good place to say "You know, FIFA gives the 'big teams' all the calls, while the USA get hammered. Take it from me, I know it.". When it comes out of Bob Bradley or Bruce Arena, it comes off as sour grapes, but when it comes from JK, he actually speaks with experience and yes, it's a harsh reality that the US has been dealing with for many tournaments.

25. rgli13

rgli13 Member+

Mar 23, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    the favorites didnt decide to hold camp in san paolo, which is the reason for our ridiculous amount of travel...