klinsmann calls Nowotny to fitness test

Discussion in 'Germany: National Teams' started by Psychosis hsv, Apr 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Psychosis hsv

Psychosis hsv Member

Mar 30, 2006
    Club:
    FC Köln
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    do you think nowotny will improve germany's fortunes

i think not because he won't be able to cope with the new quick klinsmann style and he is just too slow although he has good ball control and experience, he can do nothing to stop a striker who can take 10-16 seconds to cover 100 meters

good luck nowotny

2. ForeverRed

ForeverRed Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I second that.

3. mofo4life

mofo4life Member

May 25, 2004
    near munich
    grinsi is insane:rolleyes:

4. JeffS

JeffS New Member

Oct 15, 2001
    Cameron Park, CA
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, he's desparate.

He's scraping the bottom of the barrell, with Merte (has some potential, but isn't ready for big time international games), Huth (young, strong, but clumsy, and not enough first team action), and Metzelder (not what he was before achillies injury, and warms bench for BVB). Worns is out, due to the big spat.

So, Klinsi has to find someone.

I just wish he'd go for Fahrenhorst instead.

5. JeffS

JeffS New Member

Oct 15, 2001
    Cameron Park, CA
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On the other hand, Nowotny has been in exceptional form, and looks healthy.

Under normal circumstances, where Germany actually has some good central defenders that are not too inexperienced and are in good form, Nowotny wouldn't be considered. But since there isn't anything better, Klinsi might as well give Nowotny a chance. There's nothing to lose.

Besides, the youngsters desparately need an experienced guide in back with them.

6. Zwanzigoetzel

Zwanzigoetzel New Member

Apr 6, 2005
    USA

Hahaha....sad...sad but true. I second your opinion. What do we have to lose in the defense.....

7. bltleo

bltleo Member+

Jan 5, 2003
    GERMANY
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    here from Bayer 04 web-site in German language.
    http://www.bayer04.de/de/index2.htm

Personally I would be happy if Jens get chance. I know this guy. So I cross thingers for him that he will get the chance.

8. Mehr

Mehr New Member

Mar 14, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I would love to have Jens in the starting eleven. I mean Mertesacker and Huth are just as slow as Nowotny. Jens is far more experienced and just plain better as a defender.

Lahm-Nowotny-Metzelder-Jansen

Looks pretty damn good!

9. "Eisenfuß" Eilts

Jul 1, 2005
    In the sun ;)
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    What makes Nowotny valueable is his experience,
    but this guy doesn´t have the pace for the WC level.

That´s not only my personal opinion, that´s a fact.

I don´t get it, when Klinsmann nominates him,
    but he´s the coach, he decides.

10. Wotan

Wotan New Member

Dec 9, 2005
    Philadelphia (& CAL)
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    If I may ask- What is this "Fitness Test" anyway? Is it kind of a "trial" for the NT? I hope someone can explain it. Thanks.:)

11. The Old Lady Hertha

The Old Lady Hertha New Member

Dec 15, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    Guys...this is a fitness test. If he does well, what do we have to lose?

12. Snakeater

Snakeater Member

Sep 21, 2005

Haha, I feel vindicated by this news. Last week, I posted that Nowotny and Ramelow have been red hot in the last several weeks according to kicker ratings and Leverkusen's results. Just this last weekend, they beat hard-charging Hamburg which is a testament to their recent impressive form. Some posters dismissed that idea of calling up the two Leverkusen defenders saying a 50 year-old Hamann is better than a Ramelow or Nowotny now. :)
    (It's all in good jest.) Haha haha. I was right.

I've got to hand it to Klinsi. He recoginizes Germany's problems in defence for what they are, and he's looking real hard, everywhere, and at just about anyone who can help plug the holes we've got back there. The president of German football was right when he said that he's never known a coach who was as open to change as Klinsmann.

I think us fans are lucky to have him as coach of this generation of German footballers. This close to the World Cup, other coaches would probably have stopped experimenting with squad and would no longer be considering further additions to it, a fatal mistake when the talent and resources aren't there. Klinsmann continues to demonstrate a resolve to field the best 11 German footballers come June, no matter who they may be or where they play. The last thing we would need now is a coach who shows too much pride to admit that Germany has a weakness in defence, is afraid of change, and is hesitant to experiment.

The national team needs someone in central defence to do what Ramelow did for us in 2002: read the play, anticipate well, tackle well, and at times hold the ball and move it forward. Neither Huth nor Mertesacker is that guy.

Huth is big, strong, and getting faster, but he too doesn't have ball skills, which makes it paramount that his partner have some skills. Otherwise, we'll end up with two guys at the back hooving long balls up field.

Nowotny may be slow, but he can ball control and pass much better than Mertesacker can now. Moreover, if he's in great form, and one of our better defenders, invite him to join the team.

My hats are off to Klinsmann. I loved what he did for Germany on the pitch in the eighties and nineties, where his skill, mental focus, and "never say die" attitude led us to to three finals and two championships. And I'm loving him as a coach for pulling out all the stops to send the best 11 to represent Germany this summer.

13. Mehr

Mehr New Member

Mar 14, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Snakeater

Good post, I agree. Nowotny may not be quick but its not like Mertesacker and Huth are much faster! Metzelder is very fast and combined, I am sure they can be a very effective partnership. Nowotny has massive experience, is very strong and can anticipate and read at a world class level imo.

Huth has a lot of potential but at the moment really does not deserve to be on the team. Guys like Worns, Manuel Friedrich, and Fahrenhorst are all much more deserving.

Mertesacker is very overated imo. He is very sluggish and despite his massive height, not that great in the air! He doesnt look confident out there either...hardly one to strike fear into opposing strikers.

Personally I would like a 3-5-2 but 4-4-2 with

Lahm-Nowotny-Metzelder-Jansen

Is pretty decent looking.

I agree we are lucky Klinsmann is so openminded but problem is he wastes call ups on guys like Ernst, Hitzlsperger..etc and ignores Worns, Fahrenhorst, Trochowski, Kiessling. Oh well, we cant have everything I suppose...

14. bltleo

bltleo Member+

Jan 5, 2003
    GERMANY
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
  15. poorvi

poorvi Member+

Feb 5, 2006
    Bombay
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Klinsmann has some both negative and positive aspects as a coach.

+ves
    1.His main positive point is that he is not afraid to experiement.
    2.He makes it clear to every one in the team that they have to play to keep their spot.
    3.He has sacrificed a lot. He didn't have to take up this job. He gave up a celebrity lifestyle in California and came to do a job, in which everything he does is questioned.
    4. He has laid more emphasis on attack minded football, which is a welcome change from the traditional defense minded German game play.
    5.He doesnt blurt out game secrets in the media, and manages to keep his cool when he is criticised.

-ves
    1. He stays in California, and is in Germany only for a few days. His style of coaching is too relaxed.
    2. He has no coaching experience to speak of.
    3. He made a mistimed announcement, when he chose Lehmann over Kahn.
    4. He should be picking Woerns, but he will call Nowotny instead. This shows that he is letting his personal feud with Woerns have an effect his decision making. He should pick the player on merit alone, and Woerns is much better than Nowotny.
    5. He see's talent in Huth.

At the end of the world cup, if Germany have a good world cup, and they are finalists, winners or semi finalists, the people will remember Klinsmann the coach for the +ves, and if Germany have a bad world cup, his new style and the -ves will be criticised.

16. ForeverRed

ForeverRed Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I don't get why recalling Nowotny is so easy for him but he won't even give Scholl the much deserved call up.

I know our defense is lacking more than our midfield but Scholl is an asset to any midfield and has the spark that everyone else lacks besides Ballack.

Plus, what if Ballack is suspended from an important game like he was in 2002, Scholl would be perfect.

17. JeffS

JeffS New Member

Oct 15, 2001
    Cameron Park, CA
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe because there are only so many spots available, and you don't want to fill those with too many old frail guys. Plus, as you say, there is a more immediate need for the center back postion.

Apart from that, I think adding Scholl to the mix would be great. He is a player of exquisite skill and creativity, and those are qualities in short supply on the German nats.

18. balla_basti

balla_basti Member

Aug 19, 2005
    Dhaka
    I fail to understand the logic behind not nominating Scholl.

FOr me i think Klinsi is doing it just so that he can have the minimum faction of Bayern players in his squad. Bayern had four guaranteed starters not so long ago and now the only ones sure of their palce are Ballack and Lahm. Thats two. Kahn relegated and Deisler out injured.

No other Bayern player will make the squad.

Its a case of personal fueds getting in the way.

19. Zwanzigoetzel

Zwanzigoetzel New Member

Apr 6, 2005
    USA
    Oh boy do I second your opinion. I wrote a very similar comment on a different thread. God is my witness, I will support Germany until the bitter end, but if they will fail during the WC there is at least one good thing as a side effect: Klinsmann's ass will be send back to Huntington Beach.

So either way I will have my WC party for sure....:D

20. LebenslangGruenWeiss

Aug 13, 2004
    Heidelberg
    totally disagree. Wörns is in no way better than Nowotny. He is just as slow but has inferior passing. Nowotny is just way smarter than him (as a player and as a person).
    Also Klinsmann sacked him because of his personality which showed again last weekend when he punched Kießling in the face with his elbow and then accused him of diving and still doing so after the match. What an a..hole.

21. poorvi

poorvi Member+

Feb 5, 2006
    Bombay
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I agree that Woerns has some ego issues from before. He is more prone to making unnecessary fouls. Remember the foul on Suker in World Cup 98. But he is a better defender. Nowotny is too slow. I can't beleive you are comparing Nowotny and Woerns in speed. The second goal the Czechs scored ( Baros) against Germany was mainly due to the slow running of Nowotny, and his more than that due to his slow reflexes. If Nowotny makes a lunge for the ball, and misses, he is just to too slow to get himself together again, and have another go. The forwards would be lightyears ahead of him by then.

22. Bayerntone

Bayerntone Member

Nov 7, 2005
    HK
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Is Nowotny the best? Of cource not. Fans and team managers are always greedy, looking for more. If not, who? Many of us would prefer Woerns over Nowotny.

I don't know how many of you folks have the opportunities of watching both Woerns and Nowotny play for a considerable no. of matches before we made our comments. I don't. But I rely on kicker to give me some guidance.

Since his return from injuries, Nowotny has been able to accumulate an average of 2.89 performance ratings; while Woerns 2.75. There is not an awful lot of difference. Nowotny is about 2 years younger than Woerns. Standing 3cm taller and 7 kg heavier. Physically Nowotny is slightly better built.

Is his phyical conditions up to the tasks? Then I think Klinsi has done what a professional manager should do: the fitness test.

Speed is important. But other factors such as positioning, tackling skills, anticipation, blocking, communication, good passing skills, ball control, aerial dominance, sound determination, team unity and chemistry ... are also imperative for a good defender. Personally I don't think Woerns is much faster than Nowotny, if he is at all.

These plus LebenslangGruenWeiss' information about Woerns misbehaviour, I would give Nowotny my vote that his being called by Klinsi is absolutely correct!

23. ohk4

ohk4 Member

Jun 22, 2003
    re: Scholl

didn't he retire before the 2002 World Cup and
    didn't he turn Völler down before the Euro 2004 (not completely sure on this one)

Why does he deserve a Swan Song now?

24. The Old Lady Hertha

The Old Lady Hertha New Member

Dec 15, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    Kicker says that Nowotny passed the fitness test.
    Also states that those who missed it (i.e. Torsten Frings, who is hurt) must take part in the last fitness test in Sardinia May 16-May 21.
    Also, no more Goalkeeper rotation

25. Psychosis hsv

Psychosis hsv Member

Mar 30, 2006
    Club:
    FC Köln
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    i heard klinsi talking and i am sure nowotny will be in first 11. so who will he drop? i think he needs a very fast defensive midfielder to cover pace weakness
    who will he bench? huth or mertersacker? i hope it will be mertersacker