Alert: Klinsmann announces roster for May/June camp on Thursday (announcement included in this thread)

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by AutoPenalti, May 14, 2013.

1. orcrist

orcrist Member+

Jun 11, 2005
    Bay Area, California, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think there is often an overemphasis, on these boards at least (or is it American fans?), on a "goal scorer" as the only kind of substitute to push for a goal. We have plenty of goal scorers on the field already. Dempsey, Altidore, Beasely. Even EJ has knocked in his fair share against concacaf opposition.

The move that would be made for an "offensive push" late in the game *might* be putting on, e.g. Boyd for EJ. But it could just as likely be a Holden or Kljestan or Corona, and a change in formation.

Or something.

In any case, I'm pretty sure there are numerous options which are not simply "plug in goal scorer C for goal scorer B because we don't have goals yet".

Statman and SamsArmySam repped this.
  2. SamsArmySam

SamsArmySam Member+

Apr 13, 2001
    Minneapolis, MN
    EDIT: Post removed. Orcrist basically posted the same point ^^.

orcrist repped this.
  3. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Since this is a home game, I think we're going all out with guns blazing.

I hopse to see this line up, but wouldn't be surprised if like you guessed, Davis starts in place of Zusi to keep the attack more 'similar' (as I think both are similar style players).

EJ probably comes in off the bench, or castillo in a more advanced role to bring the heat or if FJ needs to come out. If we're up a good amount, I want to see Corona playing some or Holden.

4. Mr Martin

Mr Martin Member+

Jun 12, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sure, you don't have to have a goal scorer ready off the bench, but it sure is a nice, standard, logical option to have. Or it would be nice to have a good quality goal creator off the bench. But that bench doesn't really have either a scorer or a creator.

If this is the bench tonight -- Guzan, Rimando, Parkhurst, Goodson, Castillo, Kljestan, Corona, Davis, Holden, Boyd -- and the US is down by a goal or tied with 20 minutes remaining, which of these available players can you bring into the game to increase the US's attacking play? Boyd is very raw and hasn't impressed in his limited international play. Corona has barely played international ball. Holden isn't in any serious match shape. Davis has that great left foot but not much else. Kljestan has become a central holding midfielder in recent years. Castillo is a wing defender. NONE of these guys is a serious scoring threat as an international player, and Davis is only a goal-creator off free kicks.
    The US is the home team and the better team. I'm hoping we are ahead by a goal or two after 70 minutes, and then my concern won't matter. But given how close all the matches have been, it would hardly be a shock to see the game tied deep into the 2nd half, and then the options are all mediocre at best.

The US's weaknesses tonight are:

1) still very new back line that can be broken down;
    2) a presumably 50% new midfield that's basically never played together as a unit; and
    3) a very weak offensive bench.

The US's strengths tonight are:

1) strong backbone of Howard, Bradley, Dempsey, and Altidore;
    2) home field;
    3) good team confidence after the win at Jamaica

I'm optimistic, but nervous. The longer Panama keeps the game at least tied, the worse the plusses and minuses look for the US.

deuteronomy and tab5g repped this.
  5. Bolivianfuego

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I have to disagree with castillo. That guy is a MONSTER when making deep runs from the back or midfield.

I think he can be a serious threat for us...but he just needs to get that chemistry developed like he has with TJ. He is very 'tight' with ihis give and go's and in the game vs. Germany looked like he wanted to keep pushing up...but teammates failed to really follow.

I think he'd be a good option to bring on to add wing play/ attack. He has had some amazing donovan like runs for Tijuana.

Borrachin repped this.
  6. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    When one can't have Donovan in the team (and again not that it matters at this point, I'm not certain why that "can't" currently exists), I suppose the next best option would be to try to rely on some "Donovan-like" players (or players with some "Donovan-like" attributes to their game).

7. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    Are we talking about the same Castillo that looks terrible every time he plays for the US?

8. Bolivianfuego

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    LOL. Watch games for Tijuana....he's fantastic for them. I just hope he isn't the next Kljestan.....but there;s always that chance

9. vponce75

vponce75 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 16, 2004
    SoCal
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Yes, Castillo had a very, very good year for his club. Decent to good defending and very good going forward. Unfortunately, it hasn't translated at all to the USMNT over the last few games. Dissappointing...but there are still two games to go for this part of the cycle. If he gets a chance hopefully he shows much better.

tab5g repped this.
  10. AutoPenalti

AutoPenalti Am I famous yet?

Sep 26, 2011
    Coconut Creek
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Club form doesn't transform to International form.

tab5g repped this.
  11. Bolivianfuego

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Right. Stating essentially the obvious for many cases. ;)

But one never knows; I still have to see more of castillo, and see him 'start' more. Off the bench he still doesn't look chemistry wise there with the rest of the group.

When he started vs. canada was it? He was one of our strongest performers (albeit a very weak game for us).

He has potential, he just needs IMO, more PT to work some chemistry out on that left side. He has a wicked cross too.

TheHoustonHoyaFan repped this.
  12. Dr. Gamera

Dr. Gamera Member+

Oct 13, 2005
    Wheaton, Maryland
    Apparently he only "says all the right things" most of the time.

http://espnfc.com/video/espnfc/video?id=1478572

13. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    Not that it is the newest news today, but I do think it is worth mentioning in this thread:

http://www.ussoccer.com/news/mens-national-team/2013/06/kyle-beckerman-added-to-mnt-roster.aspx