Klinsman..."the picture on me is incomplete"

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by mbar, Jan 13, 2017.

1. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    First post firing interview I've seen. I have a hard time feeling like he wasn't given a fair shake.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/soccer/la-sp-jurgen-klinsmann-20170112-story.html

“It was, in a way, an incomplete picture that was given,” he said. “And you will never see if anything will be complete because it’s just kind of cut off.

“It just shows you how abrupt the business is. Incomplete may be the best word.”

2. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    Unvollständig.

*Sips scotch*

keller4president repped this.
  3. mette72

mette72 Member

Sep 29, 2000
    Free America
    It was very complete...a complete failure...

He claims he was fired because of the last two games. That is/was known as the final straw.

Buh bye

4. swedust

swedust Member+

Aug 30, 2004
  5. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    I thought he had lined up a gig with a Chinese club. It would be unfortunate if USSF were still on the hook for the remainder of JK's contract.

His post-WC competitive match record against decent Concacaf sides was horrible. The last two matches were merely the final act in his tragicomedy of a tenure.

TOAzer, vmax71, wsmaugham and 3 others repped this.
  6. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    Clown upset at being treated like clown, more at 11.

7. SamsArmySam

SamsArmySam Member+

Apr 13, 2001
    Minneapolis, MN
    Wow. Unable to process and internalize criticism of any kind.

He should quit coaching and run for political office.

CubsWin16, Burr, tomásbernal and 8 others repped this.
  8. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    More of "you don't know what you're looking at, I'm smarter then you and it's your fault you will never see the amazing fruits of my genius because you are so stupid...."

That's essentially what that quote means to me.

KCbus, CubsWin16, Poachin_Goalz and 12 others repped this.
  9. keller4president

Jan 5, 2006
    In the words of Baskets the Clown: "I am a cloone!"

10. matabala

matabala Member+

Sep 25, 2002
    Klinsmann is one of the better examples of why great athletes almost never make good coaches. The attributes required for success are very different.

CubsWin16, mette72, manoa and 5 others repped this.
  11. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    Jurgen has world-class hubris, I'll give him that.

CubsWin16, ChrisSSBB, Berks and 4 others repped this.
  12. HScoach13

HScoach13 Member+

Nov 30, 2016
    Club:
    Atlanta
    He is setting himself up to claim victory if the team does well without him Especially in future tournaments beyond 2018. He will say I laid the ground work... Just being pompus as usual...

russ, Deep Wilcox and FLSoccerGran repped this.
  13. Galaxian

Galaxian Member

Oct 30, 2005
    Newport Beach, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Klinsmann wanted to affirm the decision that he was the wrong man for the job, then he gave the perfect interview.

Claiming that he was fired because of losing two games is completely insane, and proves that he can't process any sort of cause and effect relationship between actions and reactions. These two games were the last straws. We were losing to mediocre teams on a consistent basis, and our team showed little emotion during these losses, meaning that they no longer wanted to play for you (or the country, which really bummed me out as a diehard US fan).

"I'm good at reading people. I'm good at reading between the lines". If you were so good at reading between the lines Jurgen, then you would have seen that people were sick of your constant excuses and subpar performances game after game, and that you had lost the locker room.

But I forgot, Jurgen is a soccer God from Europe, and us lowly soccer-peasants here in America will never understand how brilliant he was. Constantly switching the back four so that we could never build any sort of continuity, playing players out of position for no rhyme or reason, not taking our more experienced and accomplished player (ever) to the World Cup, etc.

I could not be happier that he is no longer the coach of our national team. Good riddance.

14. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Real Madrid, DC United, anywhere Pulisic plays
    Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He was fired for the last 2 results. It's been a difficult time for US soccer. No Clint Dempsey, no Donovan, and no one at their level in sight, except Pulisic. No Geoff Cameron.

juveeer and futbal4eva repped this.
  15. rgli13

rgli13 Member+

Mar 23, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    he continued managing our national team after finishing fourth place in the gold cup- his body of work for us is WAY too large.

get lost, conman.

16. Tony in Quakeland

Jan 27, 2003
    Pleasant Hill, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, he wasn't.

He was fired for losing his team following a historically bad year with unprecedented failures, a failure to achieve his stated goals and a disastrously bad start to the Hex that stemmed from inept tactical planning.

17. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Friendlies don't matter. WCQ matters. We lost the first 2 matches, putting our qualification in doubt with 2 make-or-break matches in March. Sunil took the safe route and fired Klinsmann and hired the best American coach available. 4th place in Copa America wasn't bad. It was all about the first 2 matches of the Hex. If he had gotten a single point from those matches, he'd still be here. Instead he lost a heartbreaker against Mexico and got buried in Costa Rica.

juveeer and futbal4eva repped this.
  18. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    #19 Editor In Chimp, Jan 13, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2017
    That "heartbreaker" against Mexico was solely down to him trying out a stupid tactical setup with the wrong players and then sticking with it like a stubborn idiot for a half hour even though it was clear 5 minutes in that it was a dumb idea. We were lucky not to be down 3-0.

He then adjusted, we tied the game and had them on the back foot until he tossed away all our momentum by making a defensive sub with 10 minutes left and we promptly coughed up a goal.

Then the moron doubled down on his bad idea despite the existence of video of his bad idea and had us in the same tactical setup when we had the ball on the road in CRC and watched as a US team quit for the second time in a year on him, which is two more times than they had quit on the previous 2 managers in a decade and a half.

This on top of multiple embarrassing losses in official competitions against teams we had never lost to and a constant drumbeat of buck-passing and excuse making (My favorite is blaming the officiating in Mexico's Gold Cup games for our loss against Jamaica which is the quintessential Jurgen excuse). After blowing the last 5 minutes of the Portugal game and somehow having nobody notice how bad of a job he did starting at 89:30 there and ending with 75:00 against Belgium when he finally put another attacking player on the field and oh look we aren't under constant siege anymore and look sort of competent.

He was fired 18 months too late.

I hope he either never gets another job, or England hire him at some point so he can find out what it's like to have an actually hostile press call you out for being a jackass.

Jurgen got fired because he's a bad coach and was more interested in proving his genius than actually trying to be a good coach.

19. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not going to call the 3-5-2 formation stupid, because I think we actually have the personnel for it, but using a new formation in World Cup qualifying, which exactly two of our players played with their clubs, on less than a week of training in that formation, was definitely a sign of gross incompetence. This would be Klinsmann trying to show his genius and falling flat.

Also, the USMNT should never have the fewest shots of any team in the group stage of the Gold Cup.

Mattbro, juveeer, pichichi2010 and 5 others repped this.
  20. tbonepat11

tbonepat11 Member+

Jun 21, 2001
    Black Saturday should have ended his reign.

21. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Klinsmann just finished speaking at the NSCAA Convention. Great set of tweets from his talk:

22. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    Sounds like someone is saying he couldn't have challenged himself to get to the next level.

23. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Juergen says it was a 3-4-3. Whatever it was, it didn't work. But he did play a 4-4-2 the last 60 against Mexico and again against Costa Rica.

Juergen got fired because he didn't get the required results. Losing away to Costa Rica was expected, but against Mexico at home he was expected to win. I still think a draw at home would have kept his job. There would be less pressure to get points at Costa Rica.

24. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    Jurgen says a lot of things. Most of them are wrong.

I will agree that had we drawn Mexico he'd not have been fired. But that's an indictment on Sunil, and quite frankly if someone paid me millions of dollars for meh work and no accountability I'd have been pretty full of myself too.