Klinsi rejection: the real reason according to ESPN espanol this morning

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by MightyMouse, Dec 8, 2006.

1. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    ----
    First, Sunil told JK to take a B or C team to Copa America next summer. JK's stance was it's the national team in an important competition, you put your best team on the field.
    ----

if the above post is to be believed, this is certainly a cultural thing.

Germans take international competitions, be it the WC or the EuroChampionships, very very seriously.

we here in the western hemisphere strive for the WC, but we don't show much respect to our continental championships, be they Gold Cup or Copa America.

JK doesn't realize these are training grounds for the Olympics, and not tools for building and testing a squad to get through the WCqualifiers and do well in the WC.

if SG wants to go to the CA with a less than full strength squad, then he couldn't get JK to be the coach of that squad -- hence this opportunity for Bradley.

again, I'm guessing that bridges weren't burned too badly, and that JK will be USMNT come 2008, by the time WCQ's are on the calendar. the only sticky issue (assume BB puts together a competent team that succeeds at the GC and CA) will be how to excuse Bradley from his interim gig and go with and "international" coach for the '08-'10 cycle.

2. bltleo

bltleo Member+

Jan 5, 2003
    GERMANY
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I watched this movie 3 times - twice in the cinema and it was also on T.V..
    and I will by DVD...it is such pretty motivated movie..and movie that move me to tears....he is really pur motivator...but of course german team was perfect team, it was one family...and managment, coach, assistents - they were like one family too...there were so much harmonie in the team....it was really Germany- summer fairly tale....Sommermärchen.....I think we could win the world cup, we were so close to this....I wish Klinsi will support german team somehow again, maybe as advisor...and my dream is that he would come back someday again...and be our coach..maybe as "old man" in 2014..and finaly win the world cup....so he can say to Kaiser...I also won the world cup as a a player and as a coach....

maybe he should simply rest a bit and look for new challenge..

his market value is high...he can be damanding:)

3. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    here's the problem though. JK is already married an American supermodel and he likes living in California. those European teams don't like it too much when their coaches or advisors have to fly in from nine time zones away. it can work when you need a quick shot in the arm before hosting the 2006 WC, but for a long term relationship, it is not meant to be.

4. bltleo

bltleo Member+

Jan 5, 2003
    GERMANY
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

Klinsi is a lot of surprise:)...you never know what is his next step:)

I would just say: wait and see...

I think US soccer should concentrate now to find right coach, win many games and be sucessful in the world cup 2010....after first games of USMNT, everyone forget this klinsi discussion:)......and everyone will concentrate on new USMNT coach......

5. 4Winds

4Winds New Member

Apr 20, 2004
    Chattanooga

6. spooky76

spooky76 New Member

Nov 6, 2006
    Berlin
    well, i could have told sunil that klinsmann wouldn`t take a b or c team to the copa america next summer! he would have wanted to build a team for the wc in 2010, why should he waste his limited time with a b or c team even at the copa america???

7. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Where'd you pull this little gem from?!?!

8. MightyMouse

MightyMouse BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 19, 2003
    Island paradise east of the mainland
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To tell Klinsmann to take a B or C team to COPA AMERICA is telling him this federation is a JOKE. You do not go to Copa America with a B or C team... you just DON'T. I'm sick of this crap...

9. Eliezar

Eliezar Member+

Jan 27, 2002
    Houston
    Club:
    12 de Octubre
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unless you are Brasil and send your U23 team.
    Unless you are Argentina and elect not to go at all.
    Unless...

10. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Sunil ordered JK to do this, then I'm pissed at Sunil.

But perhaps the problem is that Sunil and JK split on whether the Gold Cup or CA should get priority. Whenever the BigSoccer drones would go on and on about entering CA, I always pointed out that it's a good idea so long as we all understand that with the Gold Cup the same summer, the year after a World Cup, that we weren't going with the A-Team into both. It may be that that's what's come to pass, and JK reacted like a BigSoccer drone. Remember, the next GC determines entry into the Confed Cup.

Or, perhaps the problem was more nuanced...JK wanted to force Euroclubs and MLS clubs to release their players for CA, and also for a long camp. Sunil, understanding the pressures on MLS wrt playing their stars, didn't think it served the overall interests of US soccer for MLS teams to lose their stars for 6 weeks a second season in a row. In that case, JK was acting like a coach, and Sunil like a general manager, and it's an arguable case either way. I kinda side with the GM here, in that the Nats have to be careful about pulling MLS' stars away for a month and a half at a time. JK doesn't care about the LONG term viability of MLS. He is preparing the team for 2010, and could give a shit about what happens after.

Further, I wonder if it was more of a situation where Sunil told JK that Fed policy has been to try to work with Euroclubs over release of their players, and JK didn't want to compromise. IOW, it's not so much that Sunil ordered JK to take a B team to Copa, as that Sunil told JK he had to accept that he wouldn't be able to take his A team, that if, for example, Benny Feilhaber was on the cusp of winning a starting role for Hamburg, it's more important for US soccer that he miss Copa and cement that spot.

11. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Out of rep.

It seems like on this matter, posters' knowledge is inversely proportional to their outrage.

12. Qamle

Qamle Member

May 2, 2004
    San Diego
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Isn't the whole idea behind this thread the fact that Klinsmann wanted to be able to play anyone in the pool but ussf said no?

13. Adam Zebrowski

Adam Zebrowski New Member

May 28, 1999
    bring back werner fricker....

as to mls, the regular season is almost meaningless, the season is all about the play-offs....

don't forget arena was always negotiating player availability with coach...

cherundolo got an extended rest the autumn of wcq...

arena would make deals with clubs which fit the players liking, and his liking too...

as to what was the DEAL KILLER....

it's the cultural ethic at ussf, their complete inability to get over themselves...

i can't see a respected international coach wanting the usa job any time soon...

ussf has poisoned that aspect of the pool...

hiddink....are you kidding...

houllier....c'mon

quieroz....well maybe. since he's a ussf like wanna be,,

14. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    This is hilarious. The only teams to send full A teams to the CA in the last 10 years are Mexico and whomever is hosting. Otherwise it's B,C U23 or a mix of all three (hey that rhymes!). If teams even bother showing up - Argentina to Columbia.

If you show complete ignorance in your anger you might just want to think about how smart you are, or how much you know, instead of bashing all others.

PS - I'm not defending the USSF, but you sure as hell sound like the people you are bashing in your posts.

15. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006

So Adam, I guess JK wasn't bored at home and the wife and kids weren't driving him that crazy.:D

16. Adam Zebrowski

Adam Zebrowski New Member

May 28, 1999
    USSF was gonna drive him MORE crazy!!

17. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :eek:

Sorry, that'll teach me to have multiple windows open.

Actually, it won't teach me. But it's nice to pretend it will.

18. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006

Nope. That's why he did what he did.

Told you th guy is savy.

He really gave himself all the leverage he could by waiting and raising pressure and expectations on the USSF and our fanbase.

Then he gave his demands, and since he didn't get what he wanted he sadi later.

This is vintage JK. His motivations in life are very different than what we are used to in this arena. It is clear many can't comprehend or understand this.

His way or oh well, and he still looks good, and USSF looks bad.

The guy is sharp.

Told you this back in what - August/July.

I just didn't expect you to fall for it. You to even keeled from your posts. Oh well.

19. MightyMouse

Jun 19, 2003
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Who am I bashing? We just got invited to Copa America and we are going to treat it like crap? If we won Copa America it has more credence than the Gold Cup. Who am I bashing again? Point it out! I never said I was smart, I'm just a fan, but bashing is not my thing unless its deserved... right about now I have no clue who to bash. You might deserve some though!

20. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As a Rovers fan, our regular season is already meaningless. The team won't get relegated. And they aren't going to qualify for Europe. MLS isn't much different from most leagues in the world in this regard.

21. Eliezar

Eliezar Member+

Jan 27, 2002
    Houston
    Club:
    12 de Octubre
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some people have mentioned that winning the Gold Cup would allow the US to play in the confed cup and that may be more worthwhile both for the timing and the quality of opposition than the copa america.

My personal opinion is that the US would get a solid advantage for the next world cup by playing in a strong tournament in 2009. Italy, Argentina, and Australia sounds like a pretty nice field to play one year before the cup for experience and measuring.

22. MightyMouse

Jun 19, 2003
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree. I had no clue about the Gold Cup's importance in terms of the Confed Cup. (shrug) Thank you for pointing that out to me. I learn everyday!

23. TxFan

TxFan Member

Sep 6, 2001
    Great point...

24. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    MLS is different in that it chooses to play regular season matches on dates that interfere with the work NTs are trying to do.

regardless of if it has meaning or not, MLS has to try to sell tickets to those games, and they have to have decent match-ups for ESPN2's thursday night GOTW.

the problem is MLS would have to admit to itself that it's regular season is "meaningless", and by letting USMNT raid it's rosters for 6-8 weeks, MLS (and SG) doesn't appear to be willing to make that concession.

the idea is to attatch "worth" to both the USMNT and MLS. of course, that is tough to do when USMNT has "big" tournaments to play in June-July, and MLS continues to set league matches in those months.

something's got to give, and Bob Bradley has a new job, as he's willing to work under those conditions.

MLS can have a "meaningless" regular season, but it should NOT play those regular season games on Fifa match dates or during windows in the calendar on which USSF has committed to international tournaments.

25. diablodelsol

diablodelsol Member+

Jan 10, 2001
    New Jersey
    Something to think abour regarding Copa American and the B/C team angle:

Clubs have to release players on FIFA match dates and for official tournaments should the Federation request the players.

I wonder if in our case the Copa America would actually represent an official FIFA tournament? It's not our confederations tournament and we're playing as an invited team. If not an official tournament, this would give credence to the idea that he declined because MLS wouldn't agree to guarantee players for the tournament.