KLeague Superstar - The Lee Dong Gook Thread

Discussion in 'Korean Players Abroad' started by K:thecore, Jul 16, 2011.

1. K:thecore

K:thecore Member+

May 20, 2002
    Honolulu
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Discuss Mr. Pulsanghae here please.

Danka

2. hanul21

hanul21 Guest

flop

btw, shouldnt this be in the domestic forums? he hasnt been abroad since, forever..

3. K:thecore

May 20, 2002
    Honolulu
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    but if this thread was in there, he wouldnt receive the proper angst he deserves.

4. JoeKamel

JoeKamel Member

Jan 22, 2008
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Thanks KtC. Need to get the PCY thread back on track.

5. melonbarmonster

melonbarmonster Member+

Mar 17, 2005
    I've followed and rooted for this guy for so long. My feelings about him are encapsulated by my most recent memory when I cared... so many chances in run for wc10 and finally manages to score a goal against Ivory Coast.. too little too late and then the guy get the chance of the century against Uruguay. Trailing by goal get ball onside in dying minutes, turns and gets 1v1 situation with goalie and a roller straight at keeper.

-_-;

6. Corea10

Corea10 Member

Jun 17, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    What I hated about that situation was that the ball rolled so slowly and it looked like it might just roll in, only to swerve away from the goal at the last minute. :(

It would have been so good if he got that goal.

7. skimmilk

skimmilk Member+

Apr 22, 2010
    Texas, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    All this talk made me watch the video again and get my heart broken yet again. Just a few more rolls....

8. K:thecore

May 20, 2002
    Honolulu
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Its really sad to me that the highlight apex of LDG's international career was when he tapped that accident goal into Mexico's net during the friendly leading up to 2006.

9. Hyok

Hyok Member+

Sep 4, 2002
    California
    You guys' memories are off. He took a decent shot, but didn't direct it accurately, away from the keeper. So, the keeper partially saved it, taking most of the speed off the ball. The ball was spinning like crazy, but was slowly making its way towards goal. But, it was so slow that a defender caught up to it, and cleared it.

10. skimmilk

skimmilk Member+

Apr 22, 2010
    Texas, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Yeah... that was no Yeommy error.

11. Chingoo

Chingoo Member+

Feb 10, 2010
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p044zDMDl5Y"]‪Drogba goal vs Man Utd (HQ)‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]

it was a cute strike and all... but this is what really should've happened.

12. narasarang

narasarang Member

Sep 13, 2008
    come on guys.
    I just wanted to make my opinion public that I have full faith that Lee Dong Gook's international career is not over.
    I really really miss what he brings to the national team and I just can't wait to see him back in action. And all this talk about there not being a true defensive midfielder to support a 442 is bogus. We have ki haha

13. KwonchesterUtd

Aug 10, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Well, Son Heung Min and Ji Dong Won should be physically and technically better by 2014. And when it comes to experience we have Park Chu Young. Lee Dong Gook would probably contribute as much as Ahn Jung Hwan did in 2010.

14. Hodori

Hodori Member+

Aug 12, 2010
    SHM and JDW are already physically and technically better than LDG.

For all I care, LDG can go to Brazil in 2014.... As Baekho... But then again, he might pull a muscle or blow out his knee wearing the costume right before the tournament.

15. hanul21

hanul21 Guest

if only..
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnCiRlESIlA&feature=related"]‪16? ????.. ?????? ????...‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]

16. lylee91

lylee91 Member

Feb 28, 2010
    USA
    Club:
    Jeonbuk Motors
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    I agree except JDW is not technically better than LDG right now in my opinion. LDG is a better passer and still probably as good a shooter. I think Lee has a better first touch too.
    This is based on what I've seen just in the k-league, but I feel Lee also has better decision making and movement in the final third (albeit with much greater attacking players around him at jeonbuk)

I don't think LDG should be on the team in 2014 either, but just giving him some credit for the ability he still has.

17. Corporation X

Corporation X Member+

Sep 9, 2009
    Suckmydickastan
    That's correct old-timer. He didn't hit it cleanly and it was partially blocked by the keeper which slowed it down enough so the defender could clear it.

18. Corporation X

Corporation X Member+

Sep 9, 2009
    Suckmydickastan
    Watching K-league makes you think Yummy could be the next breakout. He's good alright, K-League good.

19. melonbarmonster

melonbarmonster Member+

Mar 17, 2005
    "K-League good" is a HUGELY important threshhold when talking about KNT players. K-league good is NOT GOOD ENOUGH. Kim Duhyeon, Lee Dongguk, Cho Wonhee, Choi Sungguk, JungJoguk and looong list of KNT tryouts that failed miserably despite stellar K-League form. Then there's the related and worse "J-League good" the prime example being good, old Triple shizz(JJJ) who's mantle has been taken by Lee Keunho. Man I miss ripping on JJJ...

ANyways, serious point being.. for whatever reason, why, how or when... we need players who are able to break out of the peninsular context and perform to their potential on an international setting. Sometimes our talent pool is so thin that we can't help it but if at all possible we need to move on from LDG, Kim Jungwoo, Yeon and the like...

20. melonbarmonster

melonbarmonster Member+

Mar 17, 2005
    When did LDG show passing, shooting or first touch outside of K-League? Most of his goals were all from volley shots where there was no passing, accurate dynamic shooting, or first touch involved.

21. Hodori

Hodori Member+

Aug 12, 2010
    Substitute Jung Jo Gook with Lee Chun Soo, and I agree with you... JJG seems to have found a niche with Auxerre and made important contributions last season with some timely goals and assists. I think he just might make it in France to a certain degree...

22. olijolly

olijolly Member+

Aug 30, 2009
    Club:
    Suwon Bluewings
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Meh take out Kim Dohyeon as well he was pretty good in England. Also, I thought Lee Chun Soo was one of the more dynamic players of his teams in Spain and Netherlands.

23. Hodori

Hodori Member+

Aug 12, 2010
    imo, we should keep both of them on that list. They never made a significant impact in Europe...

Kim DH - only good at Championship level... Lee Chun Soo was a head case. He might have had a good month here or there, but overall he embarrassed us...

Anyway, I really can't understand the spunkfest that some have shown for an injury prone striker who failed to make any contributions to our WC campaigns and who managed to leave behind a poor image of Korean strikers in Germany and England...

24. Hyok

Hyok Member+

Sep 4, 2002
    California
    It's fun to play "what if," but this would only have been the equalizer. No guarantee that we would have prevailed. It's like Bill Buckner's gaff that allowed the ball to tickle between his legs. That did not lose the series. But, people make it out to be the event that decided the outcome.

25. Chingoo

Chingoo Member+

Feb 10, 2010
    my question is where the hell was everyone else when ldg received the ball? i saw like 6 opposing players barraging at ldg and i see everyone just watching. in the dying minutes of the match with nothing to lose, i'd expect even jung sung ryong looking to score. if i had to blame anyone for that game it was jsr by a mile. you don't f*ck up like that in the wc