KK, BM, EJ, CB, CD: Portsmouth v Fulham, 5/11 (Day of Destiny) [Multiple R's]

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad Gameday' started by tomwilhelm, May 10, 2008.

1. YankatOxford

YankatOxford Member+

Oct 15, 2007
    The other factors remain to be seen, but Fulham only need to make up .06, so I suppose its down to the subjective rankings at this point:
    #2 Positive play: For positive play a team can score a maximum of 10 point and a minimum of 1 point.
    #3 Respect to the opponent: e.g. returning the ball to the opponent at a throw-in: maximum 5 points, minimum 1 point.
    #4 Respect to the referee: maximum 5 points, minimum 1 point.
    #5 Behaviour of the team officials: maximum 5 points, minimum 1 point.
    # Behaviour of the fans: maximum of 5 point and a minimum of 1 point

Man City definitely lost 4 points due to cards, but after that I'm not sure, and I don't think anyone will know until whoever decides those things releases the judgements. Sam Allardyce seemed to think Fulham would be playing UEFA up qualifiers next season

2. KenC

KenC Member+

Jun 11, 2003
    R/Y = Red & Yellow Cards - Maximum 10 pts per Match (Red 3pts, Yellow 1pt)
    P/P = Positive Play - Maximum 10 pts per Match
    R/O = Respect Towards Opponent - Maximum 7 pts per Match
    R/R = Respect Towards Referee - Maximum 7 pts per Match
    B/O = Behaviour of Officials - Maximum 6 pts per Match

I believe they start with the maximum number of points and subtract. For example, Man City lost 4 pts today because of the red and yellow card. Fulham need to make up 8 pts, so that's half right there. Since they got their butts spanked, it's quite possible they lost pts for positive play as well as respect to opponents. Fulham didn't time waste, which was key, and didn't have any egregious fouls, so they might have had a max score today.

Honestly, I think they did it.

3. taylor

taylor Member+

Jun 9, 2000
    Fav team: FC CARL ZEISS JENA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    yeah, but the problem is how much movement occurs after 37 games played?
    It is unclear that the marginal impact will be suffucient...

the more i research this, the more I become convinced that this is voodoo rankings...

4. YankatOxford

YankatOxford Member+

Oct 15, 2007
    So we know for sure the most Man City could have scored is
    36/40, but after that... I dunno. Then that has to be averaged into the aggregate, but as I said earlier I feel that Fulham have done it.

According to UEFA:

The total number of points will be divided by the maximum number of points (40 or 35) and multiplied by 10 which will result in a score between 0 and 10.

5. Martininho

Martininho Member+

Feb 13, 2007
    Chicago
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Manager of the Year candidate? Seriously, and I know this is all Johnny-come-lately (I was sweating out Sunderland's relegation avoidance for most of the year), for how many matches was Hodgson in charge? Given the task facing him and the team's road record of late, this turn of events is just astounding. Good on Fulham.

6. taylor

taylor Member+

Jun 9, 2000
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    the mc fans think we didnt though i am not sure their math is solid....

http://forums.skysports.com/viewtopic.aspx?s=1&b=3&c=3&f=230&t=30013&p=1

I think this may be relevant and good, btw....
    "11-May-08 18:50
    liamboro
    After some of your fans behaviour today, im glad Fulham might of pipped you to that spot in Europe, disgraceful ripping up seats and throwing them at the Police,

Good example to set to youngsters
    Delete"

7. KenC

KenC Member+

Jun 11, 2003
    POS PLD R/Y P/P R/O R/R B/O PTS SCORE AVGE
    1 Tottenham 36 308 288 217 215 197 1225 306.3 8.51
    2 Manchester 36 309 293 211 212 190 1215 303.8 8.44
    3 Liverpool 36 313 281 212 209 190 1205 301.3 8.37
    4 Arsenal 36 296 301 202 208 195 1202 300.5 8.35
    5 Manr City 36 302 272 207 219 199 1199 299.8 8.33
    6 Everton 36 312 280 208 212 185 1197

I hope the above formatted properly, but you can see the standings are after only 36 games. So, they need to add both of the last 2 games to get the final ranking.

Since they start at the max and then subtract, you can see that:

For R/Y, after 36 games the max score is 360, and they subtract for your cards
    For P/P, positive play, they also max at 360, and seem to give a 7, 8 or a 9 per game.
    For R/O, respect to opponents, they give 7 a game or a max score of 252, meaning that 5s and 6s are the norm.
    For R/P, respect to ref, its the same as R/O.
    And, for B/O, behavior of your coaches, it's a max of 6 a game.

Generally, it appears that teams get automatically docked one point in each category, and that the teams cluster around that, losing one point or possibly two for egregious behavior.

So, I'd say that Fulham might have got one pt better than Man City in each of the 4 subjective categories, and 4 pts better in the only objective category, the card one. That's 8 pts and put them in a tie. The problem in calculating is that there's another game from last week that they haven't added into the running totals.

8. taylor

taylor Member+

Jun 9, 2000
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    i was wondering about that too, first it is a total of 38 games, but if you look what it says, it says something like including games up and to the 5th of april....

9. mitrita

mitrita Member

Aug 6, 2002
    NL
    Best quote of the day.
    However, its the result that counts!
    Great day for Fulham, another season EPL for Fulhamerica.

10. HighburyForever

HighburyForever Red Card

Oct 15, 2006
    Wooloomooloo, New South Wales
    Club:
    Zenit St Petersburg
    Nat'l Team:
    Russia
    [youtube]5P6UU6m3cqk[/youtube]

11. odsum5387

odsum5387 Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Since it looks like last week needs to be taken into account as well...

Stalteri and Davies both got booked last week.

While City didn't have any against 'Pool last week.

It is still going to come down to all the other rankings though- whoever determines them.

12. taylor

taylor Member+

Jun 9, 2000
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    YES, but read what it says!!!!
    " matches up to and including may 5th!!!!""""

also just an fyi, every other cheers at the cottage ends with fukc chelsea, lol....

so those results are already included,,,, it really should just be the last game considering the press have already covered it......

13. Dynamo Kev

Dynamo Kev Member

Oct 24, 2000
    Five Live are saying City are in..
    oh well- that would've been a bit much..

14. taylor

taylor Member+

Jun 9, 2000
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    YES, but read what it says!!!!
    " matches up to and including may 5th!!!!""""

so those results are already included,,,, it really should just be the last game considering the press have already covered it......

also, just an fyi, everyother cheer at the cottage ends with fukc chelsea, lol... so i do wonder about their metrics...

15. odsum5387

odsum5387 Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is where the confusion lies...It does say that, but then under Matches Played it only says 36.

We'll find out at some point I guess.

16. rachel83

rachel83 Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Russia
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Holy. Crap.

:eek:

Yeah, I know I'm late to the party, but I watched the 12:30 Setanta showing, so the result is still shocking to me.
    Arsenal win and Fulham stay up! What a day! :D

17. KenC

KenC Member+

Jun 11, 2003
    Either way, it's a close run thing, as Man City were up 8 pts on Fulham. Fulham picked up 4 in the card category, and the other 4 categories are subjective. Given the categories, I'd say it's possible that Man City lost a pt to Fulham in each one, meaning that it could be close to a dead heat. I'd be surprised if the final margin isn't one point.

18. The Soccerwiz

The Soccerwiz New Member

Jun 8, 2007
    In the US&A
    Ok Folks when is the Fulham movie coming out , I heard that Mcbride is the leading man for the role. Wow what an incredible feat kudos to the whole team for grits and determination to win 4 out of the last 5 and 3 straight road games to stay up , you can't make things like that up.

19. taylor

taylor Member+

Jun 9, 2000
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
  20. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The thing that makes the Sanchez Error such a disgrace is not just that the team played ugly as sin football, not just that they played terrible, relegation worthy football...it's that he squandered a once-in-four-years transfer kitty and didn't improve the team. He just brought in guys he liked who were no better than the guys he already had. If this was a "trading" sport and he had been trading out players as he was bringing in "his" guys it wouldn't have been so bad. As it was, he not only almost sent them down this season, he has handcuffed the club for the next couple of seasons.

For the money he spent bringing in a half dozen "filler" players, he could have acquired a couple of significant upgrades.

21. Scorpion26

Scorpion26 Member

May 1, 2007
    NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    He would be known as Isiah Thomas jr lol :D God he made use worst.

Great job by Fulham and now I wonder what is going to happen for them the next few years.

22. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Absolutely. Not that I was smart enough to put this two together with the other two until you brought this up, but I think this is another reason to wonder if it's a good thing that Fulham might be playing in Europe next season.

23. taylor

taylor Member+

Jun 9, 2000
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    It looks pretty good for Fulham to be in Europe next season. Given the fans and other problems MC had....

24. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    Indeed. I thought Keller was just about done after the two tournaments last summer, but I was wrong and it was great to see him take over the starting spot and help Fulham stay up.

25. DirkDynamo

DirkDynamo Member

Jan 30, 2008
    Salvation=Eddie Johnson