Alert: Kim Källström on his time at Arsenal

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by DaPrince84, Jul 29, 2016.

1. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Had no idea where to put it so I created a thread. He talks about his time at Arsenal. Really good read.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Gunners/comments/4v5yo5/interesting_quotes_from_arsenal_exloanee_kim/

crazy150, ArsenalJake and DutchCane repped this.
  2. Twiggy

Twiggy Member

May 13, 2012
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Saw that earlier as well. Indeed a good read and an interesting peak into the mind of a footballer during an intense moment

3. ArsenalJake

ArsenalJake Member+

Feb 11, 2013
    Charlotte
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kim Kallstrom, glad to know we're all human . . . every single one of us.

4. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    i really liked him as a player, in what little i saw of him - sort of what i see xhaka as. i wish we'd managed to get him when he was younger and, y'know, not broken.

5. crazy150

crazy150 Member+

Aug 27, 2006
    North Cuba
    Very nice...bit of a glance behind the curtain at Oz. well written too. Surprised Wenger didn't know who was good at penalties and had to ask the player--what's he going to say?

daedalus and cantona94 repped this.
  6. cantona94

cantona94 Member

Jul 16, 2000
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That stood out to me also. Good read.

7. Twiggy

Twiggy Member

May 13, 2012
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I think the penalty lineup thing might be getting overblown. I'm sure general lineups are made but substitutions can throw a wrench at that since they're rarely made with PKs in mind (and we've recently seen what can still happen when they are....).

Podolski was subbed out, surely he would have taken one (Giroud, who replaced him, did). Ramsay may have also been on the list but he was the one who made way for Kallstrom. Santi and Arteta were obviously going to be included. I wonder who would've taken the 5th out of who was still on the field though... Vermaelen? Ox? Sanogo? I suspect Wenger was familiar with how those 3 are in shootouts but wanted to see if Kallstrom was confident before dipping that low into the barrel

Wasn't there also a situation at the Euros where CRonaldo had to decide who was going to take penalties (by way of telling a certain player "You're taking one" when they didn't want to)? Some teams may keep them pretty fluid based on who's in and who's feeling confident

8. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    based on how we treat corners and free kicks, i have no doubt that our penalty lineup is . . . loose. teams that are actually organised on offensive set piece actually have an idea who takes corners and, generally speaking, free kicks. our take tends to be . . . whoever wants to and is closest. once ozil arrived, our corner taker have been more consistently him but if he's not on the pitch, it's . . . raggedy.

9. crazy150

crazy150 Member+

Aug 27, 2006
    North Cuba
    Maybe. It just seems too ad hoc to me. not so much that the pnealty lineup had shifted due to subs, but that the guy had been training with the squad for months and Wenger basically had to ask him if he's good with penalties. This is made worse by the fact that we just scouted this guy and it should be relatively fresh in his mind.

Maybe I'm reading too much into it. On my team, the assistant coach had the responsibility to prepare for that kind of situation and would be modifying the penalty order as the clock ticked down in extra time. He would suggest a sub if we had a good penalty taker in the bench. Remember when van gaal subbed the keeper for,the penalties?

The last few years have definitely taken the shine off arsenes penny in my mind. He's definitely the Roy Williams of footy. Great recruiter, has a great "system" but is a mediocre game day manager and pretty poor at modifying his team to combat specific opponents and is stubborn as fcuk.