Kik Pierie at Excelsior (olf Ajax)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Feb 20, 2014.

1. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Starts and goes 90' for Jong Ajax (@ NAC).

2. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    Is he on the Dutch radar at all? Given all the talk about how Dest was uncertain to play for the Orange, isn't Pierie a huge long-shot?

3. We can field a complete team of CD's ranging from worldclass (about 4) to very good and in the age of 25 till 17, and still can put some on the bench too.
    So realistically both Pierie and Sandler have a very hard time to be able to make it into the Orange selection, let alone play.
    Edit: If I was them I would give Earnie a call.

4. USA-Zebuel

USA-Zebuel Member+

Mar 26, 2013
    Club:
    Colón de Santa Fe
    Just make sure to speak English to The Big Earn.

5. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    He is for sure on the Dutch radar. A number of games in the U set-up. But not particularly high in the pecking order (and less so now that he's had trouble even getting regular Jong games.)

He would need to at least be a Jong Ajax standout or more likely need to break into Ajax 1 or move and become a starter someplace to have any realistic chance of a regular slot, even at the U level.

edcrocker and taylor repped this.
  6. Ratings Voetbal International YA 1-1 Helmond Sport:
    Kik Pierie 6
    Mendez 4.5

7. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Still seems like Pierie missed a golden opportunity to join the first team today, with all the injuries/suspensions to first-team defenders. He must be some distance away.

Jurriën Timber got the call (instead?).

taylor repped this.
  8. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    There have been some article this week mentioning that Botman has said Heerenveen loanee Henk Spaan is playing better than Pierie. It has been a really tough transition for Kik who is fighting to get Jong Ajax minutes, forget 1st team.

edcrocker repped this.
  9. I know you're sorry now he chose to go to Ajax over Feyenoord, but I wonder what Kik now thinks about his choice. He for sure would be in the first team with Feyenoord, as I already predicted the falling apart of the aging defense center of us at the beginning of last seaso and called for Kik.

10. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Botman channeling his inner bot? Was that Dutch directness or simply disrespect?

11. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Sure, Kik is having a tough season but he didn't need to go to a worse team -he's not THAT bad! Veen was a good level for him. Ajax is always a risk. They buy more than they need and see who pans out. But Kik had his shots this season and has not impressed. Lots of other kids getting big game.

12. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Badly written post on my part: Botman is a young loanee from Ajax to 'veen, Spaan is a TV soccer commentator. Spaan is quoted as saying Botman is playing better than Pierie. (I'm assuming he mean Pierie played last year.)

Pierie is back to going 90 for Jong Ajax after getting pulled in a couple of games due to injury but I don't think he's been with the 1st team for a while now.

TimB4Last repped this.
  13. I can't recall he ever was with the first team, let alone play minutes.

14. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    He has been on the bench at least for the 1st Heerenveen game and one of the CLs - maybe the PSV cup too? Can't think of him getting on the field though.

15. He's a player that needs to play first team matches at Eredivisie level to keep developing from his Heerenveen level. Now he's regressing by playing in Young Ajax, that's too low a level for him and he's not learning/adding to what he already absorped at 'veen.
    You know I like him very much as a player and I hate it to see him regressing/rotting while he should be growing.

16. VI ratings Telstar 2-3 YA
    Kik Pierie 7
    Mendez 6.6

Tom Collingsworth and freisland repped this.
  17. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    But to get to Ajax 1 he's really got to be dominating the Dutch D2. Maybe he'll get his mojo back post-recovery.

18. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    There are just three games left for #3 Jong Ajax before the break:

M 12/9 v (#14) Roda
    F 12/13 @ (#1) Cambuur
    F 12/20 v (#18) Oss

Then a break of 3 1/2 weeks until M 1/13 @ (#16!) Jong PSV.

Of course I have no way of knowing what goes on behind the scenes, but I feel Kik has already missed his chance (to step up) this season.

The full Ajax team would have to have a transfer season of outlandish proportions - a fire sale of sorts - to pull Pierie into the senior team. Can't imagine that happening.

On the positive side, maybe he'll drop all the way off the Dutch radar ... and onto ours. :)

19. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Well, Blind is really the problem for both our boys. When he is out, either Martinez has to slide back to LCD and Maz goes to midfield, making room for Dest, or if Martinez stays in midfield, there's room for one more LCD.

Tanya Harding Blind and Martinez and Kik is a first team player in no time.

20. Forgot to mention: Kik in the Team of the Week.

21. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Kik started today for Jong Ajax, in central defense alongside J. Timber.

Jong Ajax 2-0 Roda at HT.

Not watching the game, but the scoresheet shows Ekkelenkamp with both goals, which makes me wonder if we're too late to trade up and grab him in the next MNT draft. Or is FIFA still hung up on citizenship requirements and all that?

Tom Collingsworth and freisland repped this.
  22. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Went the full 90' - next up 1st place Cambuur on Friday.

freisland repped this.
  23. wynaldaisagod

wynaldaisagod Member+

Ajax
    United States
    Aug 9, 2019
    This season hasn't been encouraging for him thus far. When the crisis happened where Ajax didn't have Blind and Veltman for the Lille match, he wasn't even considered. I wonder if Ajax will loan him out next year.

Unfortunately he seems to be in the "too good for Jong not good enough for full" no mans land. He's played in 60+ Eredivisie matches already so what a strange season for him.

24. VI rating YAjax 2-0 Roda: Kik Pierie 6.5

Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  25. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    time for USMNT to reach out....