Kids who aren't citizens, aren't close, and #!*%! immigration...

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Real Corona, Oct 7, 2011.

1. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    USAprospects ‏@USAprospects 3h3 hours ago
    We've confirmed that Duke Soph. '97 Jeremy Ebobisse received US citizenship late this summer and will join US U20 pool early in 2016

2. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope they are applying for the "Zelalem waiver." He's only 18, so he's going to need it.

3. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I think he'd be a big add to our player pool. He has a little Cyle Larin to his game.

4. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    No doubt.

The biggest "get" for me will be Kekuta Manneh. He's been around so long we forget that he's only a '94......................that's already played about 100 career pro games.

We talked in another thread about where the American version of a Fabian Castillo is. Well, there's one right there. He moved to Texas from Gambia when he was about 15. So a lot of his development has happened here.

Plus, we want him for the Texas national team when we secede. If any state can claim him, its Texas. He'll probably kick Shea Salinas out of the starting lineup.

5. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
  6. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I think Ebobisse's case is a little different. I don't know for sure, but it seems like this kid has been in the USA for a very long time, not just a few years.

I'm not going to call any of our players mercenaries since I don't think it applies, but I think there are two distinct categories, those who came to the USA for school, college or professionally in their mid to late teens and those that have grown up in the United States.

7. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    I like Manneh, but if that's the stipulation of the secession, sure, take him.

8. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Here's what Jack Harrison a late '96 or '97 (unable to find his brithdate) had to say about playing for the USA. Top Drawer Soccer currently rates him as the best freshman in the country.

http://usatodayhss.com/2015/gatorad...he-manu-system-and-the-uks-world-cup-fortunes

Q: No kidding around: When are the Three Lions (England’s national team) going to win another FIFA World Cup, and will Team USA win one first?

A: I wouldn’t push against the U.S., they’re a good side. But as patriotic as I am, I have to root for England. However, it just doesn’t seem likely England will win in the near future. Me and my mom have discussed dual citizenship. I don’t think she’d mind if I ended up playing for the U.S. National Team someday if that were fortunate enough to happen. But my friends in England would be all over me.

9. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    How would Harrison qualify?

10. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I think he's been here for three years. Probably not eligible yet, but maybe in the future.

11. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    If he has no claim to citizenship through lineage, it's highly doubtful if not impossible that he will ever wear a YNT jersey.

12. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    So should I have put it in the US Mens N&A forum? I was putting it here to document it, in case this guy plays for us in the future.

13. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Dunno. Not saying you did anything wrong. I've posted about players in similar situations here myself.

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  14. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Jesus Ferreira is scoring goals for fun in the development academy. After a hat-trick last weekend for the FCD U16s, he kept on scoring this weekend.

Its highly unlikely that he ever represents the US as Colombia has been calling him up. Not cap-tied yet, though.
    FCD after 7 games at this level is undefeated with a goal difference of +20. Beating opponents by three goals a game so far. This one against the Texans ended up 4-0. Ferreira is a big reason for that.]

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  15. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
  16. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    I have such mixed emotions about Manneh coming aboard. On the one hand, just like with the Germericans, we'll take quality players from whatever place. On the other hand, it just drives home how inadequate our domestic youth development structure still is. We're so desperate for someone, anyone, to emerge, that some posters are going gaga for Morris, who I believe will be at best an average MLS player.

USvsIRELAND and Peter Bonetti repped this.
  17. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    Your emotions, mixed and heartfelt though they may be, have nothing to do with who is or isn't American.

18. Brotheryoungbuck

Jan 24, 2015
    parts unknown
    I think you make a good point about our domestic talent, but Manneh feels American in the way that we are a melting pot. I think it's pretty easy find a dual national everywhere you go. My bestfriends are a Canadian-American girl, and a Peruvian-American boy, everywhere I go, I know a dual-nat person. In the high school of the town I just moved to there are 47 different countries of birth, and 48 different languages spoken. When I go to play intramural soccer there are always like four different languages around me. So, Nagbe and Manneh drive home the american culture to me, a melting pot. If you feel american, to me at least, you are american. I think we need to stop asking how american is this person, we need to just accept them. If in Manneh's heart he feels american, we need to bring him on board if he's good enough. And although, it doesn't seem good for domestic development, that has nothing to do with what representing your country means.

19. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    It's still reasonable, however, to wonder whether the American "system" -- however you want to define it -- is doing right by American-born and-raised players, among other questions, particularly as the professional game grows here. (Manneh arguably fits into the American-raised category to a degree, since he came here in his teens. And it's not like we're taking Gambia's castoffs; their national team is a historical nonfactor at the world and continental levels.)

Winoman repped this.
  20. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Part of youth development is talent identification/scouting and then advancing those kids with potential.

Manneh came to Texas in 2010 or so, and was advanced rapidly from Texas Rush to Lonestar to the Austin Aztex to a GenAd signee (Toronto, being Toronto, traded their pick in 2013 to Vancouver so the Whitecaps could take Manneh. They traded down again with the resulting pick and acquired Emery Welshman. Typical.)

I remember seeing Manneh against FC Dallas in the fall of 2011 and thinking he was nothing more than pace. The FCD defense completely shut him down that day. Of course that was one loaded FCD academy team. I remember we were missing Ambrose that day as he was with the reserves. Also, there was an Arsenal scout in attendance. Not sure who he was there to see, but he couldn't have walked away too impressed by Kekuta. Not his best performance.

He's been developed a lot since those days........................
    The American system (as well as Vancouver) deserve a hefty portion of partial credit for his development.

I don't know exactly why we don't produce American born-and-raised players like Manneh. We've talked about it ad naseum, though. I'd say that pure athletes the caliber of Manneh don't normally pick soccer as their first sport of choice in Texas. But then you could throw Khiry Shelton, Brek Shea, and all sorts of players back in my face.

The truth is that Manneh will be eligible to play for the United STates, and is seemingly desperate to do so. I just remember that huge smile on Nagbe's face when he entered the field for the USMNT recently. It clearly meant a lot to Darlington, and I'm sure it'll mean a lot to Manneh.

If the USMNT doesn't want him, the Texas national team will swoop in. He does fill a need for us. With Jesse Gonzalez (who's lived most of his life in Texas) and Tyler Deric finally in goal....................we're just about ready to secede. I think we're pretty damn close to being able to challenge California.

Bolivianfuego repped this.
  21. Peter Bonetti

Peter Bonetti Member+

Jan 1, 2005
    1970 WC Quarterfinal
    It just seems like we are naturalizing and recruiting in order to field a competitive team. There are a lot of good things going on in our country, but we still do not have the kind of passionate approach to being good at soccer that creates top players. We have too many people involved in the game that don't love the game - too many parents that would rather use the game to get a scholarship or bunch of trophies than parents that genuinely love being great at soccer. Since parents hire the coaches, the coaches learn to please them by helping them get what they want - isn't that what a good employee does if he wants to continue to be hired?

We are getting better, but we are not getting better in a vacuum. Other countries improve also so it is possible to get better, but get worse results because we are actually worse by comparison. If I had a wish for us it is that we learn to love being good at the game. If that were to happen, the coaching would change in order to supply the employer with what they want - great soccer played by great soccer players.

22. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Bingo.

I went to see my coworer's 17yo son play, he's in the top division of our area, wow. His coach had his back line of four stay 'straight' in a line, theoutside backs didn't even push up to add to the atack. They just sat there, all 4, not pushing up, sitting deep, waiting for the other team to attack. They got pounded and the coach did no changes to add to the attacking. Not to mention the disorganized on field product. Talent is there...the coaching is not. WOW!

Sorry! Don't mean to knock this thread off track .Carry on.

23. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    Don't we want to drive this home? If people don't accept/acknowledge it, how are we ever going to change it?

24. CANPRO

CANPRO Member+

Dec 23, 2002
    Manneh is a strange one. He has games where he plays like he fits in the premier league, then he'll play 3 games in a row without being able to make a proper simple pass or trap the ball. People harp on the fact that he's still young which is true, but I don't see all that much improvement from his first year with the Caps. He makes a lot of the same mental and basic technical errors, which I don't see anyone being able to fix with coaching. I still think he's only destined to be another Dominic Oduro.

USvsIRELAND and bsky22 repped this.
  25. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    I think you guys could take California