Kiddies, relax, USA is emerging from a cocoon.

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by MightyMouse, Sep 4, 2011.

1. MightyMouse

MightyMouse BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 19, 2003
    Island paradise east of the mainland
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have read some seriously pathetic posts on here lately. The doubters are back in force with a triumphant tone of "I told you so" about Klinsmann and how firing Bob Bradley was a mistake. All this after ONE LOSS really is one hell of a knee jerk reaction to tell you the truth. Why?

First, lets look at the loss, were we outplayed? No.

Did Costa Rica run up the score line? No. But certainly they tested our defense and could have scored more.

Did we control the ball? Yes we did, I saw statistics of over 60% in favor of the US in possession. This is a statistic that has vastly improved, a very good sign, one statistic most winning teams maintain. The team that controls the ball usually ends up in control of the game and wins.

Did our offense improve? Maybe. It was certainly one of our weak spots tonight. Had Landon not missed that near sitter at the start of the match we'd be talking about a tie game. We had too many wasted final passes after great build up.

Did our defense improve? Maybe. We certainly looked shaky at times but Klinsmann is still figuring out who needs to be out there and giving guys that have the talent to play out of the back a shot to play.

Again, this friendly showed us what the US can do if they get more organized, concentrated, and fix their attack and their defense. These are problems that under Bob Bradley we still stagnated from. Overall though it IS a bright spot we controlled this game for very long stretches against a team that bunkered against us. It was like seeing the US of old play the Mexico of old only it was Costa Rica bunkering and countering and the USA passing the ball well and spraying it around with few shots on goal. If we are a team in flux and are molding our new aggressive playing style it will always go through growing pains but the end result should be fantastic. I think the US HAS the talent to get it done right, attack in waves, control the game. Everyone simply needs to get on the same page and know where people are going to make their runs so that those with the ball can make the unpredictable passes needed to destroy good teams in the future.

Give Klinsmann time... the butterfly will see the light of day.

2 people repped this.
  2. Otergod

Otergod Member+

Sep 20, 2007
    indianapolis
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Kiddies, relax, it was a friendly and we are a team in flux

Agreed people need to chill. I'm not saying he will or will not pan out but he's trying a new style and it will take some time to adjust. We have seen some positives so far

3. NE till i die

NE till i die Member+

Jun 26, 2010
    Stoughton, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Kiddies, relax, it was a friendly and we are a team in flux

Agreed. The 2nd half against Mexico and the 1st half against CR was some of the best soccer I've seen us play in quite a while. Going from Bradley's bunker-ball to Klinsmann's attacking possession based soccer will take time for the players to get used to. We play these friendlies for a reason. To assess players and improve. The real games start in June. We'll hopefully have our full complement of players and be a much stronger team.

4. GiallorossiYank

GiallorossiYank Member+

Jan 20, 2011
    NJ/Roma/Napoli
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Kiddies, relax, USA is emerging from a cacoon.

If Landon scores that golden chance, I think we win 2-0, or like 3-1, just my opinion

5. StevenTacle

StevenTacle New Member

Apr 8, 2011
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I find it funny that people who start freaking out are people who rarely are active on Bigsoccer, who just join after a loss to a team we sometimes lose to, and predict that we are doomed for all eternity.

6. StevenTacle

StevenTacle New Member

Apr 8, 2011
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

This game, like the OP stated, reminded me of when United was bunkering against a possessing Mexico side which our only attacking method was to counter attack but would happen late in the game, once the Aztecas where gassed out. But instead it was Costa Rica, who were bunkering like us, but once we were gassed out, it lead to Costa Rica counter-attacking alas resulting in shots on goal.

7. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Really? I don't see that at all n00b.

I see all manner of sockpuppetry and I see people that change names after they've been humiliated.

But I really see a whole lot of rationalization out of the FBB right now because they all sure thought things were going to be different.

8. StevenTacle

StevenTacle New Member

Apr 8, 2011
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Well, that, I can't disagree.
    But some people have different opinions.

9. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

And opinions are fine, but given the absolute venom that was on display towards Bob Bradley, the FBB would be foolish not to expect a whole ration of shit after Klinsmann hasn't exactly uncovered any hidden gems or freed any slighted players or delivered any good results.

10. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Only the idiots. If you can't point to a JK supporter (and I count myself one) who thought it would be all roses going through this process right away, do it. Otherwise, save your oft inaccurate characterizations of the state of all things BS and other posters. Why not try posting something related to soccer, instead of forum sociological stuff?

There are always a group of posters on here that think we are going to beat the next opponent, win the next match impressively, etc. A small group, but pretty vocal. That was the case during BB's reign, and it will be during JK's.

There is also another (larger) group that denigrates all the other countries from CONCACAF and thinks qualification is assured and we should crush every team that isn't Mexico, despite a ton of match results (especially recently) that prove otherwise. That won't change either.

In brief:
    1) This will take a while, and we just got started.
    2) A draw in Belgium would be a good result, don't be surprised if we lose.
    3) WCQ will be difficult, it almost always is. Especially when we play Costa Rica (winless against them in last 5 or 6?) and Honduras (beat us 3-1 last time).

11. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

The FBB skews highly towards idiots with a few of the erudite long timers along for the ride.

This is related to soccer, or more aptly, the US Soccer fanbase and it's growing pains from a group that had to gut out every result to a group with a whole cohort that had never experienced losing to a rival. Inaccurate, I am not.

There is a huge portion of the clowns on BigSoccer that base their expectations for our performance on the size/population/economy of our opponent, often failing to look at how tough those opponents play us and the socio-political reasons for doing so, in addition to just the desire to win.

I'm here to edumacate them.

Yes, our fans will get a lesson in reality. That doesn't mean I'm not going to wear out the FBB.

2 people repped this.
  12. pupusa3000

pupusa3000 Member

May 15, 2001
    East Bay Area

Idiots, Let them have their Bob Bradley and extend the misery. Sure we lost to a team we should of beaten. But the way the team played in the first half was something I have not seen in a loooonnggg time under Bradley.

If the finishing was better maybe the result would be in our favor. This is only the second game under Juergen after about a year of Bradley ball. Things are only going to improve. If not, it was worth the risk. No way Bradley could do better, this is proven. Its a process folks, just because we sign a new coach and try new players automatically puts us in top 10.

13. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I love it when the sane come out. Thank you for your post.

The only other thing I mention is it will take awhile to release years of training. YEARS. The muscle memory and automatic reactions need to be cast off, and that's not going to happen in a week of training. It's going to happen after months. In particular for our attacking players that have been part of Bradley bunker ball for awhile: LD, Clint, Dolo, Jozy, MBradley even Benny Feilhaber if he ever shows up.

A poster on the shin guardian said it best during the Mexico game: "Who let Landon out of jail?" - these players need to remove the shackles and play attacking soccer, that's going to take some training and time. In particular for those at the club level that don't play free-flowing soccer either.

Great post.

14. dsirias

dsirias Member

Oct 26, 2007

Yes I too am shocked by the overreaction here. My lord this was just the second game under JK. Half of the minutes played under JK have been dynamic and eye opening. ( no goalie punts... Possession...some riveting stuff) New style of play. Lots of experimentation. We will lose games in the next year. But are growing in the process. If you can't see that you are blind. I predicted that it would take a year before the team really starts to gel. Holden coming back will be huge. Dempsey not taking minutes off will be huge. Bradley turning it around could be huge. ( and I'm a Bradley basher). If he gets fit and finds his touch mike could come in late in the game if we have a lead and it's lights out for the other team ) Shae, Torres, Chandler are all still learning what JK wants. The two center back who will anchor for us in the hex have not even played for JK yet. ..... Relax people. Look at how we play and how we adjust, not the score for the next 4 or 5 friendlies........

15. ECUNCHATER

ECUNCHATER Member

Sep 30, 1999

Welcome to sports and fan forums.

loss = fire the coach! He is stupid and doesn't know what he is doing.

win = He is the smartest coach in the world. He's awesome!

16. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

The people who think Klinsi was going to turn around the program in under one month, without any bumps in the road, are generally the same people who think a 21 yr old Jozy will never improve, or 22 yr old Freddy has hit his ceiling.

They live in some alternate reality, which I have yet to locate. Still looking for it though. Apparently, in this alternate reality, instant gratification is the norm, and the challenges we normally face every day in our reality, simply don't exist in theirs. They live in a reality where it is simply a straight line to the top, without any challenges along the way. If anyone is able to locate this alternate reality, please let me know, the tooth fairy owes me $7, and I've been wanting to track him down for years.

17. chalaron

chalaron Member+

Aug 15, 2006
    Baton Rouge, Louisia

funny I thought the game reminded me of a US/Mexico game too. Typically Mexico would have possession but eventually we'd get a few goals and they'd fall apart. The difference to me is that we were creating lots of chances in the first half. I'm not concerned about losing. Sometimes you create chances and nothing goes in, sometimes you score every time. Unfortunately this was one of those nights when nothing went in.

18. 4door

4door Member+

Mar 7, 2006
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

If Bradley was still the coach for the Mexico draw at home and the Costa Rica loss at home (total of 1 goal scored) and he played the EXACT same line ups with the EXACT same tactics as Klinsmann, would people be saying that we need patience or would people be calling for his head? How about if the coach was Sigi or Kreis?

19. dsirias

dsirias Member

Oct 26, 2007

If bob was the coach the last two games, even his haters would have been ecstatic Like bob found Jesus..... Because the personnel used, tactics, and intent, while only partially successful, were positive and something never seen under the bob regime. Ever

20. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

SO funny to watch a certain crowd lose control when irrational critiques start coming their way.

And yet.......

21. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--

Nah, the haters would be bitching why Jon Spector is not playing. He is a multidimensional MF/D you know.

22. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

When people were saying that MB was nowhere near a field and Spector was playing well as a midfielder in the EPL...

23. 4door

4door Member+

Mar 7, 2006
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Here is the question I ask JK supporters, if the same exact teams were chosen with the same exact tactics by someone like Jason Kreis and not Klinsmann, would you feel the same?

Does Klinsmann get slack because of his name, if it was an American making to the same decisions would we see endless posts about how well he is doing despite not winning in 2 home games, one being against the 60th best team in the world?

If JK was hired after WC06, and the guy won the Gold Cup, runner up in Conf. Cup, and won his WC group, would he have been fired? I actually like JK, but there is an obvious double standard against American coaches and for European based coaches. I have no doubt that if an American MLS coach was hired and we lost to Costa Rica at home, we would see more criticism.

1 person likes this.
  24. Grogtank

Grogtank Member

Sep 5, 2009
    Vegas Baby
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

This sentence says a lot really. Not to single you out 4door but this suggests the existence of Klinsmann detractors. To not be a supporter of our coach at this point is irrational. I would even say insane. Further, to not accept that with growing pains will come poor results, is disgraceful. Finally, the desire to point fingers while ignoring the the complete picture is simply childish.

I normally avoid threads like these but the opening sentence of your post was too perfect to dismiss.

25. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

ah.....its nice, you look down the line at the usernames and the tables have completely turned between the bradley supporters and the klinnsman supporters :p. oh this cycle is gonna be fun.

bigsoccer is just so fun! :D

i am staying cautious however. just Klinsmann's second match. Players simply couldnt finish. at least it took 65 minutes to collapse instead of the first 15, we can take comfort in that :eek: