Kick off times

Discussion in 'Spain' started by mixmastermatt, May 7, 2008.

1. mixmastermatt

mixmastermatt Member

Nov 18, 2003
    St Albans, England
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Hi Guys

I was wondering if someone could tell me how and when the kick off times are figured out? In particular I am wondering about the time for Espanyol's last game of the season. IIRC aren't La Liga matches in the evening on the last game of the season all kicking off about 19:00? At the moment all the games say 17:00. Does anyone know if and when these will change?

Thanks.

2. Pichi

Pichi Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 17, 1999
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    Real Betis
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    No one knows when KO times are due to three circumstances:
    1) Which TV station(s) will carry the game and tell the club when they want to televise the match.
    2) If one of the teams are still in European competitions (CL, Intertoto or UEFA) then matches are moved to provide an extra days rest for that team.
    3) How pissed off the Soccer Gods are at the various clubs. With Betis that means playing in April at 1700 hrs when it is hotter than hell when they could have been playing at 2000 or 2100 hrs. Just like playing in Bilbao at 2100 hours in January when it's colder than a witches you know what!

As of the past few years most games the last week are played on Saturdays except if it involves a team that is playing for a slot in Europe or is in the fight to avoid relegation. The Spanish Soccer Federation and LFP require that those games KO at the same time so no team has the advantage knowing their direct rival lost earlier in the day and they only need X result. These games tend to start at 1900 hrs on Sundays.

My guess is since they play Almeria and both teams are out of the running for a UEFA slot and relegation that the match will be played on Saturday evening so the players can squeeze in a extra day of vacation once the match is over!

Viva Er Beti Manque Lopera!

Er Pichi