Ki Sung-yong @ Swansea City AFC 2017-18 [R]

Discussion in 'Korean Players Abroad' started by Gayageum, Sep 4, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aeh1991

aeh1991 Member+

Dec 16, 2015
    Club:
    FC Augsburg
    Huddersfield is leading...

2. aeh1991

aeh1991 Member+

Dec 16, 2015
    Club:
    FC Augsburg
    Huddersfield draws Chelsea. Swansea got no chance.

3. Marco91

Marco91 Member+

Mar 12, 2016
    At home
    Club:
    Dijon FCO
    I always thought american owners didn't know anything about football and were just a bunch of incompetents. To be relegated after just 2 seasons...that's impressive.

4. 10August2012

10August2012 Member+

Oct 28, 2012
    Melbourne
    Club:
    Sunnanå SK Skellefteå
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    guess its just a matter of where he goes now.
    you guys reckon he'll move before or after the WC?

5. Marco91

Marco91 Member+

Mar 12, 2016
    At home
    Club:
    Dijon FCO
    To AC Milan...before the WC.

nmssis and killaorca repped this.
  6. nmssis

nmssis Member+

May 21, 2011
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    they might wait to ride out the risk of him getting injured hence, post WC...eh, but then it's gonna be 3 n out anyway :whistling:

7. Marco91

Marco91 Member+

Mar 12, 2016
    At home
    Club:
    Dijon FCO
    All i know is that Milan needs a midfielder with the same profile as Ki. We don't need a starter but rather a reliable back up that can compete for a place in the starting XI if that said supposed starter is out of form.

8. nmssis

nmssis Member+

May 21, 2011
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    it will be fun keeping a watch on this...btw, when does the summer x-fer window open?

9. skimmilk

skimmilk Member+

Apr 22, 2010
    Texas, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    I think yes the american owners were cheap but the vast majority of blame has to be on Huw Jenkins who really became overconfident after that first Laudrup year. Literally every season the same mistakes got made:
    • Buying in positions of strength like DM/CM with Mesa, Clucas, King, Fer, Carroll, Sanchez
    • Continuing to only have Dyer and Routledge who never were that great to begin with and only got older as only wide players
    • Continuous cycle of firing managers
    • Spending way too much to bring back former players (Bony, Ayew, Carroll)
    Thats Jenkins who comes out of this probably the richest of all having sold at the peak, while the Americans have a long way to go to recoup their investment and the fans have to suffer the most.

nmssis and Marco91 repped this.
  10. aeh1991

aeh1991 Member+

Dec 16, 2015
    Club:
    FC Augsburg
    This is soooo true. They have really lacked quality wide players for years.

nmssis repped this.
  11. nmssis

nmssis Member+

May 21, 2011
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    but it was fun while it lasted. we even saw KSY win the league cup...I wish them nothing but the best! :thumbsup:

12. aeh1991

aeh1991 Member+

Dec 16, 2015
    Club:
    FC Augsburg
    Now with Swansea 99.9% getting relegated, where do you think Ki will end up (league or club)? I think Everton or West Ham might be the most realistic destinations. If he does well at the WC, I wouldn't rule out the Milan possibility, either. Yet, from today's point of view, I doubt it.

13. zdrstvte

zdrstvte Member+

Aug 27, 2012
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Everton, I don't think it's likely. They've got solid CM/DM in Schneiderlin, Gueye, and Davies, plus Baningime has had a breakout season and with McCarthy returning, I don't fancy his chances there.

I think West Ham makes more sense since our CMs were sh*t this year and he has a good chance of starting + given that our CM Kouyate (was dogsh*t this season) supposedly gets paid 60k a week, definitely can accomodate Ki's wage demands.

Yes, Ki had a good run in February and March, but overall he was unimpressive this season, like the rest of the team this season, and I reckon most of his suitors are going to be teams in the bottom half of the league.

The Hyphen, aeh1991 and nmssis repped this.
  14. aeh1991

aeh1991 Member+

Dec 16, 2015
    Club:
    FC Augsburg
    West Ham could also make sense since it's based in London, which Ki seems to prefer.

15. zdrstvte

zdrstvte Member+

Aug 27, 2012
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Personally I wanted Swansea to stay up so that Huddersfield could go down so that we could sign Mooy, who's had a great season. I think our priority is still to sign him, but I think it's less likely now given that Huddersfield are going to do everything to hold onto him.

The pros about Ki are that he comes free, lower wages than some of our overpaid players, and is definitely not worse than our current CMs Noble and Kouyate.

But the problem I see is that he's not that much better than them either, and he's no longer the player he was 3 years ago when he was making a name for himself, and he's been in decline since then.

Personally I would be happy to see one of our players playing for the club I support, and even if he turns out to be a fizzle, he would be a cheaper gamble than other ones we made previously.

16. Kanuck

Kanuck Member+

Feb 11, 2005
    La Belle Province
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    dude, how is it that you came to be a Hammers supporter?

17. zdrstvte

zdrstvte Member+

Aug 27, 2012
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    I grew up in the Canary Wharf area which is basically right next to Newham, where West Ham are based + all my schoolmates supported them.

Kanuck repped this.
  18. killaorca

killaorca Member+

AFC Ajax
    May 11, 2010
    Pacific Ocean
    Club:
    RSC Anderlecht
    You picked the wrong team. Should have went with Charlton Athletic FC if you were the real OG.

19. Rob_Brighton

Rob_Brighton Member

Nov 21, 2015
    Club:
    Southampton FC
    DM was not a strong position for Swansea. They never found anyone who had the work rate, mobility and decision-marking ability of Britton, who was the only one who could win the ball. King is capable of winning the ball, but he's spent too much time on the bench at Leicester to be consistent this season.

As for Jenkins, he was only 5 percent stakeholder, so how could he have come out of this the richest? Martin Morgan was the largest shareholder by far. Tutumlu has been Tweeting saying that it was Morgan that was siding with Monk and Williams when they were undermining Laudrup, and Jenkins had to represent Morgan. But if Laudrup had stayed, he wouldn't have recommended renewing Ki's contract, and maybe they wouldn't be fighting relegation season after season, as the Laudrup-Tutumlu team proved better recruiters than Jenkins.

20. Chucky2202

Chucky2202 Red Card

Nov 24, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    Reunion
  21. Marco91

Marco91 Member+

Mar 12, 2016
    At home
    Club:
    Dijon FCO
    Yes yes but he's going to play in the premier league or Serie A. Swansea is going to play in the championship.

22. hanul21

hanul21 Guest

How far is the reach of West Ham in terms of fan geography? I went to visit a friend who lives in Essex (Southend to be precise) and almost everyone there supports West Ham and/or Southend United.

23. skim172

skim172 Member+

Feb 20, 2013
    seolseol repped this.
  24. 12th Warrior

12th Warrior Member+

May 27, 2006