Ki Sung-Yong @ Swansea City AFC 2012-2013 [R]

Discussion in 'Korean Players Abroad' started by Seol Korea, Aug 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hodori

Hodori Member+

Aug 12, 2010
    Thanks, that clarifies things a lot. And that's great the club handles the living arrangements for the players during the transition period like that...

On our way back from St. Davids, we stayed at the Dragon Hotel for a night in Swansea. But next time I visit, I'll definitely try out Morgans. Perhaps I'll even get a KSY sighting... :laugh:

2. Hodori

Hodori Member+

Aug 12, 2010
    I don't think turning into a box to box midfielder from a deep lying playmaker is a matter of improving acceleration. And besides, he's deceptively fast and has good acceleration already.

3. zdrav

zdrav Member+

Sep 9, 2009
    Can't wait until Swansea plays and beats Liverpool.

4. dudedudedude

dudedudedude Member+

Aug 3, 2008
    Baltimore, MD
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    i didn't mean it that way but i do want him to turn into a more complete box to box midfielder. I want that Cristiano Ronaldo acceleration so he can create his own shots. See those screamers on the reg.

5. Chingoo

Chingoo Member+

Feb 10, 2010
    :ROFLMAO: I think he'd be at barca by now if he could do that

6. dudedudedude

dudedudedude Member+

Aug 3, 2008
    Baltimore, MD
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    hehe i know. wishful thinking

7. Chingoo

Chingoo Member+

Feb 10, 2010

let's just hope he does this from now on

olijolly repped this.
  8. briangoesroar

briangoesroar Member

Apr 28, 2008
    San Diego
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I feel that with maybe with a signing or two for Swansea's defense in January, this team can seriously challenge for a Europa League spot for next season. THAT might be wishful thinking, but not impossible.

9. melonbarmonster

melonbarmonster Member+

Mar 17, 2005
    It was really entertaining to watch Swansea. I admit it's the first I've watched them play a full match but if they can tweak their defense, they've got some real potential. Great move by Ki who also looked great. He's a big guy, light on feet, great defense(thanks Celtic), and a heavy shooting foot. :)

10. olijolly

olijolly Member+

Aug 30, 2009
    Club:
    Suwon Bluewings
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Wow, love these highlights of him. Many of these ball keeping skills and passing skills are already there for KSY. Xabi Alonso just does it more often against better teams. :)

11. JoeKamel

JoeKamel Member

Jan 22, 2008
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Earliest would be Jan right?

12. jinseokyang

jinseokyang Member+

Feb 28, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    THAT'S WHY THEY MAKE COMPARISONS TO ALONSO. The similarities are astounding, not gonna lie

13. BENJMNS

BENJMNS Member+

Jun 8, 2009
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    i recall a quote from ki about how amazed he is at xabi's skills. i'm growing to appreciate how hard it is to be a quality holding, deep lying midfielder. it's hard to make it look ez because when it's bad, it's really bad... real bad for the team. more so than a striker on a cold streak. they're the foundation and if the foundation aint right, the structure gonna crumble. thx for sharing.

14. wetcrispy

wetcrispy Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 5, 2007
    hollywoo
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    as KSY says, it really is a 매력적인 position.

15. zdrav

zdrav Member+

Sep 9, 2009
    Don't think I've seen KSY lose the ball once since the NZ pre-Olympic friendly...

Mudang, melonbarmonster and olijolly repped this.
  16. KyopoOhNo

KyopoOhNo Member+

Aug 3, 2010
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    He's really charming. He's going to be popular.

17. wetcrispy

wetcrispy Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 5, 2007
    hollywoo
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    KSY in the home swansea jersey looks just like xabi at RM. his potential makes me so excited and he's only 23!

18. ChaDuRi671

ChaDuRi671 Member+

Dec 30, 2010
    Club:
    FC Seoul
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
  19. jackarmy1912

jackarmy1912 Member

Aug 20, 2012
    Club:
    Swansea City AFC
    They can live wherever they want outside the Swansea area if they want so long as they are punctual for training and games.

New players may stay the occasional night at The Morgans but this is a running business, if they are booked up with paying guests Morgans have other properties more likely to utilize the Townhouse.

Also why on earth would they KBK and KSY want to meet up half way in Bridgend is beyond me.

In answer to Swansea as a city, yes we can all harp on about how good the Gower is, and everyone will tell you its one of the most beautiful places in the United Kingdom. However the city has been let down by some poor long term strategy by the council. Yes the Marina is lovely with massive re-development of SA1, with the J-shed (offices,bar and restaurants.) There are pockets of really upmarket restaurants and tapas bars, the Uplands with Verve 37 and Gower Kitchen for one.

Shopping is quite frankly abysmal, a lot of people travel to Cardiff for that.

One thing I will say is that the people of Swansea will give Ki a lot of warmth and respect. The city really does respect footballers representing the city. He has been warmly received as a Swansea City player. Swansea is a very friendly place large enough not to feel stifled but small enough to get to everything easily and to feel at home.

Swansea does have a rather good underground arts scene as well.

Ki has settled here in the city, and looks at ease. It helps that he is at a club who play the game he wants to play the fluid passing game. People say Ki needs that extra yard of pace, I have to disagree. When you are so skillful on the ball , so composed and have the ability to run a game from midfield, like KI has shown already he can. You don't really need that extra yard of pace when you can draw upon the skills he has to get yourself out of trouble and with his awareness on the pitch he can see things that others can't.

20. KiChungWon

KiChungWon Member

Aug 20, 2011
    Your Heart <3
    Club:
    Seattle
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Wonder if Xabi Alonso knows about Ki and how similar they are? :D

21. Xenos

Xenos Member

Aug 9, 2012
    Vancouver
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Hope Laudrup further boosts Ki's abilities to play like Alonso

It would be amazing to see Ki play for Real Madrid/Barca later down the road; he has the potential, time and opportunity become world class :)

/fingers crossed

22. pkk78

pkk78 Member

Feb 10, 2004
    Club:
    Real CD España
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Lets just hope Ki gets to start soon first. JDG, Britton, Michu all in top form and coaches generally dont change winning teams. It may take a while or a drop in form for Ki to become a regular starter, even though he is clearly more talented. We may need to be patient and have to see him get 20-30 mins off the bench for a while.

Sons of Thunder and Hodori repped this.
  23. jsk14

jsk14 Member+

Mar 2, 2010
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    there's no rush. idk why people seem disappointed he already started the league cup match hours after getting clearance. hes already doubled PJYs playing time for the season in one match. just give him time which he has

Mudang repped this.
  24. BENJMNS

BENJMNS Member+

Jun 8, 2009
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Preach

25. melonbarmonster

melonbarmonster Member+

Mar 17, 2005
    I think we're all super eager after suffering last season's frustrations... Seriously gentlemen, that was a long tunnel we went through but now the sun is shining bright.

wetcrispy, HandsomeVoice and jinseokyang repped this.