Kevin Doyle announces retirement

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by GreatGonzo, Sep 28, 2017.

1. GreatGonzo

GreatGonzo Member+

Jul 1, 1999
    MA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
  2. Quaker

Quaker Member+

FC Dallas
    Apr 19, 2000
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sounds like it's related to the concussion:

"Today I’m sad to announce that after listening to medical advice I will play no further part this season and will be retiring.

This year it has been clear to me that heading the ball was becoming problematic and causing me to have repeated headaches. Two concussions this season and numerous others over the years have made this more concerning. After consulting the experts in this field, it has been decided that to avoid the possibility of these symptoms becoming more serious and permanent, I will be hanging my boots up for good."

https://www.coloradorapids.com/post/2017/09/28/his-own-words-kevin-doyle-hangs-his-boots

SccrDon, fortcollins, wormhole and 3 others repped this.
  3. zapem_10

zapem_10 Member

Nov 25, 2009
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He was a scrapper. Sorry to hear that it was affecting him this way. I hope that he doesn't suffer long term from this.

For the club, it opens up a DP spot for the next coach.

4. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We bought Doyle down to a TAM player last season. Gashi, Howard, and Ramirez were our DPs this year.

wormhole and zapem_10 repped this.
  5. Quinn 33

Quinn 33 Member+

Apr 25, 2003
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's still a big chunk of cap room we will have free next year. Thats a silver lining for sure.

Sad to see him go. I always liked Doyle, even if he didn't light the world on fire.

rapidogordo, JasonMa, wormhole and 2 others repped this.
  6. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He wasn't already retired?

Opps..............too early? :D ;)

On a serious note, sad to see players not leaving on their on accord and being forced out due to injuries or health risk. As one that has suffered from and has residual effects from multiple concussions, it's no joke. It's quite frankly, scary shit. KD has a family and they should be his #1 priority.

7. zapem_10

zapem_10 Member

Nov 25, 2009
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I forgot about that. It does free up some money for us though.

JasonMa repped this.
  8. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    I always appreciated his professionalism and his hustle. He busted his tail out there, even if it meant playing defensive midfield.

SccrDon, AlbertCamus, GreatGonzo and 6 others repped this.
  9. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Doesn't Aigner move up to DP level next year? So inessence with Aigner taking Ramirez's spot, only improvements will be at non-DP level...

10. Sports Yak

Sports Yak Member+

Jul 17, 2007
    Lakewood
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Have to say, Doyle was fearless on headers. It was a big aspect of his game. For pregame predictions, there were a few times I wrote "Doyle on a header." He never lacked for effort.

jayd8888 repped this.
  11. Quinn 33

Quinn 33 Member+

Apr 25, 2003
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He has annual escalations in his contract, but I don't know if he'll be making DP money next year. Maybe 2019.

12. jayd8888

jayd8888 Member+

Aug 22, 2006
    Denver CO
    I thought that he was one of our best players but he never dominated the rest of the league like he might have if he came over a few years sooner. Maybe if he had another season in him he would have broken out next season. I guess we will never know. I will remember him for splitting defenders in space and entering in with a flying header. It is also hard to forget his injury playing for Ireland. Yuck. It sounds like we are piecing together a picture of a player that was not afraid to throw himself into the mix.

13. Rod1916

Rod1916 Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Doyle has been one of my favorites. Not because of his excellent goal scoring (for us, at least), but for his willingness to do whatever the team asked. I can't count the number of times he tracked back to defend, then made it up top for his normal position. I think he was a bit screwed due to our focus on defending at all costs.

He was one of the most active players on the field, which should have put the younger players to shame. I hope they took note of his work ethic while he was here.

Sorry to see him go, but I absolutely understand it.

14. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was announced that Aigner will be a TAM player next year, not a DP player.

15. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well yeah, all TAM players are DP level players, but they don't take up a DP slot

17. Dom. FC

Dom. FC Member+

May 10, 2004
    Central US
    Kevin, we hardly knew ye.

I don't think we really ever saw his best, the combination of injuries, lack of consistent and especially choreographed (consistent, predictable) service. Along with the above mentioned defensive style that often put him on an island with occasional balls lumped into 1 on 3-5 defender scenarios never really gave him a chance to express his talents. Sadly a probably bigger signing than we knew at a smaller club than what he thought he signed with.

18. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    My thoughts exactly. He never stopped running, tracking back, and tried to keep the ball moving. And has been fearless in getting his head on the ball in the box. I will miss watching him play very much.

Looks like he will be moving back Ireland. Hope he records a farewell video before he heads off.

19. fortcollins

fortcollins Member+

St. Louis City SC
    Apr 12, 2006
    Fort Collins
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Very few players gave much effort this season. Doyle is an exception. He is one of the few players who bothered to defend and who made any effort to disrupt. I'm sorry that we didn't get to catch his earlier career.

Very best wishes to Kevin in his life after soccer. Some guys have a difficult time with that transition, and I hope Kevin will be the exception and enjoy the utmost success in his future endeavors.

20. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Ditto regarding to due what he could for the team. He played with an earnestness that was appreciated. I really hope he is OK long term and has a happy post career life.

fortcollins repped this.
  21. pdid10

pdid10 Member+

Aug 8, 2008
    Boulder
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Great player. He would have tore up the league if he had landed anywhere else than Colorado.

rapidogordo and IndyRapids04 repped this.
  22. Stuart95

Stuart95 Member+

Mar 11, 2012
    NoVA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Liked how he did all the dirty work and was tenacious ... I'll miss him on the pitch

SccrDon repped this.
  23. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    I wonder if somewhere someone has stats on aerials defended in the box off set pieces. (I guess Padraig must.) Despite having Sjoberg and Burling around the past few seasons, it seemed the guy often clearing the ball in the center of the box was Doyle.

Doyle's judgment of the flight of the ball and his timing must be superb. He was one of the best header of the ball of the players I've seen pass through DGSP. Maybe he was *the* best.

24. Paranoid Coyote

Paranoid Coyote Member+

Oct 21, 2007
    Memphis, TN
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is very sad. The feelings of what could have been can last for a long time. Doyle had a great career and left something to be proud of, so that will make it easier.

It's only scary when you can remember it! :D I've had 11 concussions and most of my life before 16 years of age is gone...and it keeps creeping forward. I'm very happy Doyle listened to the medical advice and made the correct decision. A few more seasons on a crappy team isn't worth the rest of your life.

25. jayd8888

jayd8888 Member+

Aug 22, 2006
    Denver CO
    Jamie Castrillon had a knack for climbing higher than others. He was not as good as Doyle. Also Conor Casey was deadly with his head making a near post run especially on corners and set pieces. They knew it was going to happen and they still couldn't defend it.

Totoro and COMtnGuy repped this.