Kenny Saief - dual citizen of the month

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Red Card, Dec 11, 2015.

1. Red Card

Red Card Member+

Mar 3, 1999
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1 Red Card, Dec 11, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2015
  2. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    born in Panama City,Florida, Israeli, not Jewish (clearly, born in the wrong part of Florida).

Not sure who he wants to play for with his recent comments.

3. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I wonder if there is a feeling that a Druze is the full Israeli national team might upset the vibe a little. Basically, it's going to be hard for him to get a call up because he's an outsider.

4. Red Card

Red Card Member+

Mar 3, 1999
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If he is as good as advertised, he could help us get Olympic qualification.

tab5g repped this.
  5. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    Perhaps just qualification shouldn't be the standard.

Although, it certainly might be interesting to see what he can do in a USA jersey.

6. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Apparently Druze Citizens have much better/fuller integration into Israeli culture than others.

Bajoro repped this.
  7. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    HartwickFan, Bajoro, bsky22 and 3 others repped this.
  8. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    I only learned yesterday, when I first thought 'Arab? 'Cause that ain't a Jewish name.'

9. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Is he good? He hasn't been called up to Israel's NT's yet. That says something, at least.

10. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sounds somewhat similar to Justin Meram's inclusion on the Iraqi team as a Chaldean. Some places it works well; sometimes, not at all.

CMeszt repped this.
  11. FlipsLikeAPancake

Jul 6, 2010
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cross posting this from another thread:

Serious question: is Saief even eligible to play in the Olympics for us?

Saief played for Israel's U21 team in qualifiers for the U21 European Championships. That tournament serves as a qualifier for the Olympics.

Is Saief then cup tied for the Olympics to Israel?

I don't know if the Olympic qualifiers work differently, but I do recall that Julian Green couldn't play for our U20 World Cup team for a parallel reason, namely having played for Germany in a qualifier for the U19 European Championship, which in turn was used to qualify for the U20 World Cup.

USvsIRELAND repped this.
  12. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Correct. He wouldn't be eligible for our Olympic squad.

USvsIRELAND and Rahbiefowlah repped this.
  13. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
  14. Ironbound

Ironbound Member+

Jul 1, 2009
    This sounds very similar to the Aron Johannsson situation. Born in the USA, grew up in a small UEFA country, played for that country's youth national teams but has possibly been snubbed by the senior program, now making noise in a smaller Euro league. Also, like Aron, he'll have to file a one-time switch before he can play for us.

USvsIRELAND repped this.
  15. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    From the YouTube highlights he has some pretty applicable qualities. He's fast, very aggressive in and around the box, seems to track back and be otherwise solid defensively. He has decent dribbling skills and has shown he can finish. Left footed but can use both.

Are Champions League group stage games archived? I might sit down and watch one or two.

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  16. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
  17. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's pretty good. Like Fabian Johnson, he is versatile almost to a fault. Winger, Forward, #10, even LB.

He's left footed too. Not that fast but smart and quick.

Expect to hear from him on Monday with an interview.

I always liked this goal. This was his final goal scored in the Israeli league before he moved to Gent. He was 20 at the time and having a breakout season.

18. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    So, is the comparison Harry Shipp?

chad repped this.
  19. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    I don't think so. Saief is much more imposing physically and defensively and prefers to run with the ball as opposed to passing with vision.

Lletget with speed but less ball skills, Zardes with touch but less potential.

tab5g repped this.
  20. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    Here is his Fall 2015 with Gent:

Champions League Bolded:

Westerlo
    61', Left Wing, GOAL (pen)

Genk
    34' (as sub), Left Forward

Anderlecht
    Not in 18

St. Truiden
    In 18 DNP

Kortrijk
    In 18 DNP

Mechelen
    10' (as sub), Right Wing

Zulte-Waregem
    In 18 DNP

Lyon
    Not in 18

Standard Liege
    Not in 18

Waasland-Beveren
    Not in 18

Zenit
    Not in 18

Brugge
    Not in 18

Mouscron
    45' (as sub), (position unknown, replaced CB)

Valencia
    90', Left Midfield in 3-4-2-1

Oostende
    90', Left Midfield in 3-4-3

Lokeren
    90', Left Back in 5-4-1

Oud-Heverlee
    90', Left Wing

Valencia
    55', Left Midfield

Charleroi
    60', Right Midfield, GOAL

Westerlo
    60', Left Back in 5-4-1

Lyon
    67', Left Midfield

Genk
    90', Left Wing

Zulte-Waregem
    76', Central Midfield

Zenit
    2' (as sub), Left Wing

League: 11 apps (3 as sub, 4 full ninety) in 18 games, 2 goals.

Champions League: 4 apps (1 as sub, 1 full ninety) in 6 games, 0 goals.

Positionally this data is a ballpark guess, but I included it to show that he plays all over the place. Usually left forward/wing in a 4-3-3, or left Midfield in a 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-2-1. But he also has played left wing back, false 9 or center forward, right midfield, and central Midfield.

Looks like he probably dealt with injury early in the fall, he wasn't in the 18 for 5 matches and hadn't played much in the 6 before that after 2 early appearances. But once he came back into the team he has established himself pretty well over a 12 game stretch of 8 League and 4 Champions League games, scoring his second League goal in the process (and picking up 4 assists, although I couldn't figure out which games the assists came in.)

It would be instructive to watch the Valencia games, Gent lost 2-1 in the Mestalla and won 1-0 at home. Saief played all but 35 minutes in the second game. He also went 67' in Stade Gerland as Gent picked up a 2-1 win over Lyon.

God I am so bored at work right now.

21. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    @bshredder He doesn't look that slow to me in the highlights...

22. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    In an interview he gave last year Saief discussed the possible upsides to choosing the U.S. team and mentioned, "they play every four years in the World Cup".

That has to be a pretty strong selling point, especially when you consider Israel has only once qualified for a major international tournament, and that was 45 years ago (Mexico 70).

I guess Israeli fans and players have more reason for hope now that the European Championship has been expanded to 24 teams. However, they just finished 4th in their qualifying group for France 2016, so I think even that tournament is going to remain a long shot for them for quite some time.

Rahbiefowlah repped this.
  23. USAMEX10

USAMEX10 Member+

Sep 24, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    From the highlights I saw he looks to have a much better touch than Zardes, likewise more potential. The Lletget comparison is pretty much what I think too not sure who's more skillful I'd have to see him play a game first

Rahbiefowlah repped this.
  24. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Comparing him to Lletget is just wrong. Dude has special touch, creativity, and killer instinct for an American player. He was super productive when actually an attacker. 6 goals (no pens) in 8 MLS starts before he was a sacrifice of the MLS DP rule forcing him behind Gio/Gerrard. Also scored as a sub and in the Open Cup. Saief has 1 non penalty goal in 11 starts/18 games. Jupiler is better than MLS still, but not by much.

And Zardes doesn't have the same touch or flair. But the type of things Zardes contributes to a team is not seen on highlight videos. So I don't know how that comparison is made.

Who knows how he compares from highlight videos and little statistical profile?

Eleven Bravo and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  25. vexco

vexco Member+

Nov 2, 2013
    Apparently you if you're claiming that Lletget is a better player already.

Realistically, we'll see. I'm all for Saief getting a call up but I like players from Belgium anyway