Keirsten who Dallstream FCGP gets all the Stanford Players

Discussion in 'Los Angeles Sol' started by SolAlive, Jan 15, 2010.

1. SolAlive

SolAlive New Member

May 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Sol
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. kolabear

kolabear Member+

Nov 10, 2006
    los angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. EPL88

EPL88 New Member

Aug 19, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Had a chance to watch her play this year when Stanford visited Pullman. She was a game changer that day -- every time she touched the ball I held my breath because she was so dangerous. She gave The Card fits.

Was hoping to see her abilities and potential recognized in the draft. Was so happy to see her go in the first round. Congratulations KD! The Sol got a good one!

4. bekairos

bekairos New Member

Nov 9, 2008
    Dallstream does indeed play defender for the youth national teams, both at U-20 and U-23. Her [bare-bones] U-23 profile on US Soccer still lists her as a defender.

In my opinion, what she did at the U-20 level at right back is comparable to what Riley did for Stanford. In 2008, she was the starting right back for the U-20s through qualifiers (I've watched them on Youtube and she's really good) and into the 2008 U-20 WWC in Chile--until she was injured in the game vs. China in Temuco. (Portland's Elli Reed, originally a midfielder, replaced her at right back afterwards.)

As a forward in college, she was nothing to sneeze at either. One of the best in the Pac-10. Los Angeles was totally justified in picking her as high as they did.

5. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ditto. She's a great player.

6. SolAlive

SolAlive New Member

May 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Sol
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. kolabear

kolabear Member+

Nov 10, 2006
    los angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nothing wrong with having Ali Riley as one of your favorite players! Fine player, I think the Sol would've done pretty well selecting her, gives us someone to root for in New Zealand, very cute as well.

But Charlie seems to know what he's doing and the Sol should do well also by selecting Dallstream - and maybe even better. In the WPS thread on the draft, Cachundo linked to an interesting interview with Tony DiCicco after the draft:
    And just to gather some of the Dallstream comments in one thread, here's what Cachundo wrote in the Sol Draft thread -

"Flying under the radar" is a good description for her. Obviously not under everyone's radar and not under the radar enough to suit DiCicco! But it's interesting how she's an afterthought to most people even after the draft. While most of the sportswriters analyzing the draft include the 3rd or 4th round picks in discussing how they would grade the other teams, when it comes to the Sol the comments center on Washington, Nogueira and Enyeart, a later pick than Dallstream.

Meanwhile, it's widely assumed, for example, that the Santa Clara defenders Jordan Angeli (the 16th pick) and Kat Reynolds will solidify Boston's defense, that Kaley Fountain (at #20) helps make Gold Pride's draft an A+, and that Kristi Eveland (along with Washington's 1st round pick Nikki Marshall) will boost the Freedom defense. All of them are good prospects but my point is simply that Dallstream doesn't seem to move the meter for any of these writers - although Ali Riley would have as well as, presumably, any of the other defenders just mentioned.

And if Dallstream is flying under the radar, what about the Sol's 3rd round pick Estelle Johnson? Charlie passed on both Reynolds and Eveland to take her with the #25 (after taking Kiki Bosio at #22) but nobody has anything to say about her. It's as if they think Charlie just threw away a 3rd round pick. I think Charlie knows better than that...

8. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Count me as one that was surprised Dallstream was taken no. 9 but I do think she'll be starting for the Sol (in defense) and do well. As for Johnson, she played her W League games w/ the Colorado Force.