Keep 'em Cut 'em

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by shawn12011, Jul 10, 2017.

1. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As are you. :D

2. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    Yeah, Ben wouldn't know what to do if he had a talented player. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

[​IMG]

fatbastard and shawn12011 repped this.
  3. nick

nick Member+

Nov 23, 1998
    Potomac Falls, Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #53 nick, Aug 10, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2017
    Taking your list, here's my take. I see way more rot on this team that needs to be cleared out. MLS is significantly upgrading and United has just not kept up. Most of the roster is just not MLS caliber.

Cut 1 Goalkeeper Travis Worra United States
    Keep 2 Defender Taylor Kemp United States
    Keep 3 Defender Chris Odoi-Atsem United States
    Cut 5 Defender Sean Franklin United States
    Keep 6 Defender Kofi Opare Ghana
    Cut 7 Midfielder Marcelo Sarvas Brazil
    Cut 8 Midfielder Lloyd Sam Ghana
    Cut 9 Forward José Ortiz (on loan from Herediano) Costa Rica
    Keep but not as DP 10 Midfielder Luciano Acosta Argentina
    Cut 11 Forward Sébastien Le Toux France
    Keep 12 Midfielder Patrick Nyarko Ghana
    Cut 13 Forward Lamar Neagle United States
    Keep 14 Midfielder Nick DeLeon United States
    Keep 15 Defender Steve Birnbaum (Captain) United States
    Keep 16 Forward Patrick Mullins United States
    Cut 17 Forward Deshorn Brown Jamaica
    Retire18 Forward Chris Rolfe United States
    Cut 20 Defender Jalen Robinson (HGP) United States
    Keep 21 Midfielder Chris Durkin (HGP) United States
    Cut 22 Defender Chris Korb United States
    Keep 23 Midfielder Ian Harkes (HGP) United States
    Cut 24 Goalkeeper Eric Klenofsky United States
    Cut 25 Midfielder Jared Jeffrey United States
    Cut 26 Midfielder Rob Vincent England
    Keep 28 Goalkeeper Bill Hamid (HGP) United States
    Cut 32 Defender Bobby Boswell United States
    Cut 33 Midfielder Julian Büscher (GA) Germany

United has a very, very poor roster compared to today's MLS. The results speak for themselves. Some might say that injuries have held them back. To a certain extent, that's true but it's more about United being horrible with the injuries while if they were to have everyone they would be just plain poor.

The frightening thing is that even with the players I've decided to keep many are role players and not necessarily starters. If I were to list starters that I could use it would include only:

Hamid
    Birnbaum
    Nyarko
    Mullins (maybe)
    Acosta

Everyone else is just not at a level where they can compete at a top third of the league level.
    Even Acosta while he clearly has skills is overmatched in midfield so you have to compensate for him. In the developing MLS, luxury players who may be great in one area but have limitations in other ways are disappearing. For me, Acosta is not a DP level player.

United is seriously overpaying for players relative to their production - the opposite of Moneyball. Franklin, Boswell, Rolfe, Sam, and Neagle are prime examples. Good players in their prime and for an earlier version of MLS but not today. Other players like DeLeon and Brown are just not worth the money.

4. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    Seems like DCU already did a lot of these moves the past two days

bigredfutbol repped this.
  5. nick

nick Member+

Nov 23, 1998
    Potomac Falls, Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe we can get the Bruce back after a successful World Cup. :cool:

6. nick

nick Member+

Nov 23, 1998
    Potomac Falls, Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow. I was so busy at work this week I just haven't paid attention until I saw your post. Boswell and Neagle were on my list of least value for money. Looks like DC is finally making some moves but I think this is more for 2018 than this year. I can't see making up the ground they need to make the playoffs even with a couple of new pieces.

Winoman repped this.
  7. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    I agree that they're probably out of the playoffs this season. But I'm pleasantly surprised by these moves now. I agree wit others that now I can enjoy watching the games looking forward to next season.

Winoman repped this.
  8. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    I see no reason to cut Robinson and Korb. I see both as useful depth.

I would cut Nyarko though. Too injury prone and there's an argument to be made that he's had enough concussions that risking the next one might not be smart. I'd even keep Sam over Nyarko. He's older, but more durable and has produced more goals/assists this year.

shawn12011 and Winoman repped this.
  9. nick

nick Member+

Nov 23, 1998
    Potomac Falls, Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nyarko to me is a difference maker while Sam is not. In addition, the drop-off from Sam in performance in the last year has been major and his nothing like the player he used to be for NYRB.

As for Korb and Robinson, I just haven't seen enough of Robinson but if you can't start or get major minutes for this team why on earth do you think he would be of much value to a hopefully significantly improved squad next year.

Korb is so MLS 1.0. We have progressed way past that type of player in MLS. He has speed and a motor on him is ok on 1/1 defending but the rest of his game has problems. He's not technical, makes poor decisions, seem to turn off at key moments and can't cross. Not the type of player I'm looking to build on to move into the top tier of MLS.

sitruc repped this.
  10. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Korb is useful because he can play both sides and is perhaps a more tenacious defender than our first-teamers. If Franklin isn't resigned, he probably should stick around, although he may be behind Nicky and Odoi-Atsem on the right. As for Robinson, I'e never seen him have a poor game.

11. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    I agree Korb is valuable because of the versatility and solid attitude. Fullback is the one position most MLS teams save money on. Especially backup fullback. That's not a place you want to hold a $200K value player. Just not realistic. Backup fullback in this league was made for guys like Korb. Not saying that the he's irreplaceable. Just saying that Korb is not on my priority list for upgrades.

As for Robinson, I think he's a solid #4 center back. From now until the end of the season he'll get a promotion to #3 CB to see how he handles it. Ultimately it's inevitable that we'll see a CB signing in the winter. The question is whether we need a starting CB, a backup level CB or a backup to the backup level CB. That will depend on how Opare and Robinson finish the season. Birnbaum is probably safe, unless they decide to sell him.

12. DCUSA

DCUSA Member+

Jan 14, 2006
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Franklin has one more year on his deal. They may be able to move him this winter (is there an expansion draft), but most likely he is here.
    Nevertheless, Korb is still the primary back up at left back. United should look for a CB in.the draft with their high pick, a lefty to back up Stieber or Kemp (or both) with the rest. Out of the known players that start, Kemp is the most susceptible for an upgrade, and Korb not being that guy puts him on shaky ground.