Keep Bundesliga on US TV

Discussion in 'Germany' started by BlueInter8889, Sep 1, 2012.

1. footyfan1

footyfan1 BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

What I hate is that even with a better channel covering the BL, we're unlikely to get 5 matches per week as we did with GolTV for last season and much of this season.

Not unless if ESPN gets the rights, they decide to launch a "soccer" channel.

2. Super Mario Gomez

Super Mario Gomez New Member

Nov 14, 2012
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Yup unfortunately. I would be shocked if ESPN ever gave the Bundesliga great coverage if they did get the rights as I think they eventually will. It's a tough situation be because Anglophile and Hispanic media control the market and neither will give the Bundesliga the time of day. Whoever does get the rights will do a poor poor job.

3. footyfan1

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I don't know that I can agree that whomever gets the rights will do a very poor job.

Why?

Because other channels who have had the Bundesliga have always had another league which took priority.

This is exactly why I hope beINsport or NBC/Universal doesn't get the Bundesliga. They wouldn't give it the attention it deserves. It would just be a time filler around the other leagues.

If ESPN or Fox decides to buy the rights, the Bundesliga will be their top league covered.

I don't think this will happen, but I would actually love to see ESPN acquire the Bundesliga rights, start a "soccer" channel and try to take on NBC/Universal's coverage of the EPL. ESPN has already had guys like Klinsmann and Ballack in their studios for international coverage. Why not have them head the coverage of the league they both came from?? There are a number of American former Bundesliga players I'm sure they could get to contribute and to help educate the U.S. "soccer" fan on what the Bundesliga is about, what each matchup means and of course, the rich history of the German game.

Of course, I know this is my thinking as a Bundesliga and "soccer" fan. I doubt anyone at ESPN would think to consider this. :(

panicfc repped this.
  4. Zak1FCK

Zak1FCK Member+

Aug 23, 2005
    Milwaukee
    Club:
    FC Kaiserslautern
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Particularly with the history of US players in Germany and all the current USMNT players who play in the Bundesliga. What is it now? 8, 9? 10?

5. footyfan1

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Great point Zak! Not to mention the players from other countries they can sell to their expat countrymen here in the USA.

Hell, my club could be called "Borussia Polonia"! ;) :)

6. CCSUltra

CCSUltra Member+

Nov 18, 2008
    Cleveland
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've always seen it called Polonia Dortmund ;)

7. footyfan1

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe this is the start of what us U.S. fans have been looking for? I know it is from a not-so-reliable source, but we can hope........

ESPN To Launch Daily Soccer Studio Program

ESPN will extend the company’s ESPNFC.com global soccer news and information digital brand with its first highlights-driven soccer studio show airing in the United States this summer. ESPN FC on TV will air year round (Sunday through Friday, primarily on ESPN2) beginning August 11, it was announced today at the company’s Upfront presentation in New York City.

The ESPN FC program will integrate several elements of the digital platform’s content via social media, the industry-leading ESPN Stats & Information Group’s data visualization analysis, and more. Digital versions of the program will be available on ESPNFC.com.

“Soccer’s popularity is at an all-time high in the United States as fans are now more familiar with the world’s top players, marquee clubs and national teams. ESPN FC on TV continues our leadership role in coverage of the sport across all media,” said Scott Guglielmino, ESPN senior vice president for programming.

Sunday editions of ESPN FC will be a one-hour program – wrapping up the best highlights from the weekend’s soccer action while looking ahead to what the results mean to the teams and their respective leagues. Monday through Friday, the program will air for 30 minutes each day. ESPN FC on TV will replace the ESPN FC Press Pass, the global soccer discussion program on ESPNEWS, in the United States.

Click here for the full story.

Zak1FCK and Floormaster Squeeze repped this.
  8. Mutiny RIP

Mutiny RIP Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Bradenton, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Soooo, is the bundesliga staying on GOL tv next year, or is it moving to ESPN, FOX, or BeINz?

9. bradjmoore48

bradjmoore48 Member

Aug 3, 2010
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Back in April, I emailed Kay Dammholz, the VP of Audiovisual Rights Sales for DFL Sports Enterprises, which deals with growing the Bundesliga brand globally, including distribution of Bundesliga TV rights. I told him of the trouble of GOLTV being removed from cable and satellite providers, making it difficult to watch BuLi matches without resorting to illegal streams. Here was his response:

Thank you for your email. We are aware of the problem GolTV are facing and we are in frequent contact with many Bundesliga fans writing us regularly from the USA.

We are working on possible solutions and are reasonably hopeful that after the summer the situation will be improved. Yet it needs to be said that we have a valid contract with GolTV and cannot just walk away from it as GolTV is currently struggling.

Thank you for your support and do stay in touch in the event you hear anything that could be helpful to us.

Best regards
    Kay Dammholz

(Underline my own, for emphasis). Based on this, it seems like they are sticking with GOLTV as their main US Television partner. It's not that I think they aren't working to find a solution, but as people above have stated re lack of bigger TV network interest, there may not be much they can do until they are out of contract in 2015.

Dave141, Sachsen, footyfan1 and 2 others repped this.
  10. Mutiny RIP

Mutiny RIP Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Bradenton, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for posting this! I'm hoping that when deciding on a new contract, they don't merely go with the biggest offer, which may come from beIN, but instead make growth of interest in the bundesliga in the U.S. a priority and try to enter a contract with ESPN, FOX, or NBC even if they offer less money.

11. bradjmoore48

bradjmoore48 Member

Aug 3, 2010
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the DFB would do that, to a certain extent. But end of the day, if ESPN, Fox or NBC aren't bidding for the Bundesliga, or really lowballing the bidding process, and BeIN is willing and able, you go with the network willing to give you a fair shake.

So really, if you want ESPN or Fox to start showing the Bundesliga, they need to know from its fans that they should go after a sub-license for the next two seasons, and then pick up the next contract in 2015. If the demand is there, and the numbers are there, it wouldn't be a problem for one of those two to stay with the Bundesliga long-term. But if the demand isn't there, they aren't going to budge, and then its likely the Bundesliga will be on BeIN Sport in 2015.

12. CCinGermany

CCinGermany Member

May 3, 2006
    Chicagoland
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Basically, the only hope most of us have for the next TWO seasons is if GolTV croaks. :(

Mutiny RIP repped this.
  13. footyfan1

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Thank you for this information!!

14. footyfan1

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Pretty much. And I'm not going back to that terrible Spanish package on DirecTV just to get an even more terrible analog picture from GolTV.

15. Floormaster Squeeze

Sep 27, 2007
    Some Hill, VT
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Botswana
    I was just like to add, and I am sure many of you know this that Fox Soccer Channel is ending. Fox will have some soccer coverage (Champions League?) on Fox Sports 1. Anyway, I am not sure if there is any soccer channel that would give the 1.BL its due but at least with ESPN you can watch the online feed. I would be happy with online feed from Gol TV as I do not have access to it now.

Mutiny RIP repped this.
  16. Mutiny RIP

Mutiny RIP Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Bradenton, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In the past when ESPN was the only big nationwide TV sports channel, I would agree that it was unlikely we would get a live broadcast of Bundesliga matches. However, with ESPN, NBC, and FOX all competing for content, I would think someone would want to broadcast the Bundesliga. After all, the matches occur at a time of day when there is little other live sports programming on U.S. television. While I don't know if any network would do what NBC is promising to do with the EPL and show every single Bundesliga match every week (because the Bundesliga just is not as popular here as the EPL), I could see someone like FOX or ESPN showing one or two games live on television each week while putting the rest of the matches on an online feed.

17. bradjmoore48

bradjmoore48 Member

Aug 3, 2010
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From my understanding, the DFB only produces 5 Bundesliga matches per round for international distribution, so unless the DFB changes this, whoever buys the rights are only going to have those 5 matches available to them per round. So they can't do what NBC is doing with the EPL, but with the overlaps in time with the EPL, for right now, I don't want NBC to pick up the Bundesliga rights.

As for ESPN and Fox, again it comes back to the programming execs thinking - right now, I think most of them believe that only EPL, Liga MX, MLS, Real/Barca and Champions League are the only real sellers in terms of soccer properties - anything else doesn't have traction. This mentality means it makes more sense for them to use Saturday and Sunday mornings for college football, basketball and NFL pregame shows than any live sports, including Bundesliga. I would love to see an exec take a risk and try to prove that mentality wrong, but you have to be realistic - for both Fox and ESPN, the NFL and college football/basketball are their bread and butter.

Again, this is why there needs to be fan demand for the Bundesliga, that pressure might force one of the execs to take that risk. So start bugging Fox Sports and ESPN and ask them to start talking with GolTV and the DFB about how they can bring Bundesliga to the masses.

Lamprey and Mutiny RIP repped this.
  18. Mutiny RIP

Mutiny RIP Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Bradenton, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, I agree. For most channels they view a pregame show as a better draw than the Bundesliga. For example, ESPN's College Game Day has become practically a college football season institution. However, precisely because it is so popular, if you are NBC or FOX, you have to ask yourself if two more college football pre-game programs in head to head competition will lure away the viewers who habitually tune into college game day, or if its better to appeal to a different segment of the market. Clearly NBC Sports thinks it is better to show live EPL soccer than a college football pre-game show on Saturdays that has to compete head to head with ESPN's college game day. I think ESPN with two channels could show college game day on ESPN, and Bundesliga on ESPN 2. If you are going to broadcast on two channels, you probably want programming that appeals to two different segments rather than have two programs splitting the same segment of the market.

19. IASocFan

IASocFan Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2000
    IOWA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One advantage of pre-game shows over life soccer is the opportunity for lots of commercials! :(

Advantage to the network anyway!

20. The Friendly Ghost

Jul 24, 2007
    I recently lost GolTV as part of my sports package (it is bundled with channels like MLB, NHL, Tennis, Golf, NFL and NFL Redzone), and I was disappointed to lose the BL coverage. My biggest problem with GolTV was the analog picture mentioned above. It was just tough to watch, and I found myself watching BPL and MLS games rather than GolTV solely because the picture quality was so much better. So although I can purchase a Spanish package that would include SD GolTV, I won't because it is not HD. The cable company effectively traded me SD GolTV for HD BeIn, and under the circumstances, I thought that a fair deal.

Like others, I would love to see another network get the GolTV rights to BL--ESPN, NBCS, CBSS, BeIN, the new Fox sports channel. But unlike others, I would be perfectly fine if the commitment was only to broadcast one game a week, if done right. For example, ESPN could broadcast every week one of the Sunday "late" games on U or News, with a solid announcing team, in HD, live, etc. In this instance, maybe less is more. The one game becomes a rallying point for BL fans in the US.

21. CCinGermany

CCinGermany Member

May 3, 2006
    Chicagoland
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One game a week would be a big improvement on the current situation for most of us!

The trouble is, of course, that the stand alone late games in Germany do not always feature the "marquee" clubs. Indeed, the Sunday games are mostly for Europa league contestants.

22. BIGHMW

BIGHMW Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Port Townsend, WA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Would you happen to have (no, not Grey Poupon lol :) ) the e-mail address to the DFB/DFL headquaters for me, as a frustrated VfL Wolfsburg suppporter? In years past, I have had to resort to the illegal streams just to watch The Wolves in action every week and not have to be stuck with both not having GolTV (I have Dish) available and even if I did at that having to put up with having the Bundesliga "Big 3" (Bayern, Dortmund and Schalke) being crammed down my throat every Matchday. Having only 5 matches on GOL is not gonna please supporters of most specific clubs, (myself being a VfL Wolfsburg fan who has loyally followed them since the start of the 2010-11 season) and my management, Len Enders of Label Cove Entertainment, which hosts my record company, HMW Records, has advised me against further viewership of the pirate streaming sites, for fear that my computer can gain worms/malware/viruses/trojan horses, etc. He already knows about my die-hard support of Der Grun-Weiße VfL.

I just wish that the DFB/DFL would offer a pay online subscription service for us offshore Bundesliga supporters around the world, so we can watch ONLY our favorite clubs in action (for me it would be Wolfsburg every week), much like they currently do in Germany with Telekom's "LIGA total!" and Sky Deutschland's subscription coverage. Major League Baseball already has a similar pay service here in the States with MLB.TV, it would be nice if the other 3 major pro sports leagues would follow their lead in providing us with the same thing for their leagues).

Such a service would be unprecidented as none of the other Big-4 football leagues (EPL, La Liga or Serie A) currently have one, this would be either HQ or HD-ready, legal, available worldwide, and, most importantly, secure with access being just a mere username and password away, and... NO VIRUSES to worry about!!! :) ..... and not limited to certain ISP's, allowing even those hooked up to smaller-market companies and ISP's in small towns (I get the web from CenturyLink through OlympusNet here in Port Townsend) to enjoy Die Deutsche Fußball-Bundesliga every week, growing the viewership and fanbase of the BuLi, and its 18 clubs both here in the States, and worldwide.

The whole world got to see just how damn good the Bundesliga is and how rabid and passionate Bundesliga supporters like myself are, with the first-ever all-German Champions League Final at Wembley, between Bayern and Borussia Dortmund back in May, now give the whole world the chance to follow THEIR favorite BuLi club with just a simple-but-secure point and click.

IMMER NUR DU VfL!!!

23. bradjmoore48

bradjmoore48 Member

Aug 3, 2010
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    BIGHMW - The emails to the DFL Team is on the web here:
    http://dfl-sports-enterprises.com/en/Unser_team.html

You'll want to contact the guys in the Audiovisual rights departments: Kay Dammholz (who responded to me), Patrick Stuller and Dominik Scholler.

In re to illegal streams/viruses - maybe get a separate computer or laptop just for things like watching matches, nothing work-related. That way, your boss won't get on you about a "work" computer getting infected. If you get a virus from watching a Wolfsburg match, it's your computer you destroyed :)

24. Dave141

Dave141 Member

Jun 9, 2003
    Washington, NJ

Based on your earlier suggestion, I E-mailed Mr. Dammholz about my interest in seeing video highlights of 2.Bundesliga matches here in the US. He wasn't able to help me, but my interest was noted and he did respond within a day or so with a thoughtful reply.

25. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Solution for this, install a linux partition on your computer for watching games. It only takes up a couple gigabytes on your harddrive. No viruses. It's super easy these days.