Parks and recreation in Lisbon: Keaton at NYCFC (on loan from Benfica)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Sep 24, 2015.

1. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    IndividualEleven, Pl@ymaker and Winoman repped this.
  2. hokeydokey

hokeydokey Member

Oct 21, 2015
  3. hokeydokey

hokeydokey Member

Oct 21, 2015
    Worth noting Varzim has quite the impressive little list of academy alum:

Bruno Alves - Porto, Zenit, Fenerbache, 84 caps for Portugal
    Helder Postiga- Spurs, Sporting, Porto, Valencia, 71 caps for Portugal
    Andre Andre - Porto, 11 caps for Portugal

4. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Balerion and BostonRed repped this.
  5. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    The club now plays in LigaPro (2nd Division) having been promoted in 2015. Keaton got his debut after training with the first team last year and playing with with the Juniors and the B Team.

Se no plano desportivo o objectivo inicial e principal ficou por atingir, no plano formativo, Tiago Pinheiro considera que o Clube “está no bom caminho”. “Formar jogadores é também um objectivo do Clube. No caso dos Juniores, formar jogadores para integrar a equipa B e, depois, futuramente a equipa A. O Neta e o Keaton são um exemplo disso mesmo. Treinam com a equipa principal e jogam nos Juniores e na equipa B.”

If in sport the initial and main objective is to achieve the formation of players, Tiago Pinheiro believes that the club "is on the right track. " "Training players is also an objective of the Club. For Juniors, training players to join the B team and then in the future the first team. Neta and Keaton are good examples of this. They train with the first team and play in Juniors and Team B."

http://varzim.pt/site/os-jogadores-tem-dado-uma-resposta-muito-positiva-tiago-pinheiro/

Looking back at other past articles, none of which are dated, Keaton scored the winner in a preseason friendly for the first team against Portimonense.

Tom Collingsworth and ChuckMe92 repped this.
  6. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    So -- he got a first-team debut in the second division?

7. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Yep! Though, as I understand the rules, this still doesn't qualify him for the main forum. I may be wrong.

8. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    O Keaton, as he is known in Portugal, who got his first team debut last week, went back down to the B team this week and got a brace in a 4 - 0 defeat of Gondim da Maia.

9. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

10. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    #10 Eighteen Alpha, Sep 21, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2016
    This is a little confusing due to it being posted today. Keaton was actually in the 18 for a first team game today (unused sub) but the tweet is referring to the B Team game in which he got a brace on Saturday.

Also, and this is splitting hairs, I don't understand why it is specified that Gondim-Maia is a pro side. They both play in the Divisāo Elite (4th tier).

11. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Parks gets some pub in the hometown paper:

Parks is hoping for more appearances on the year and promotion for his squad to the First Division, where he would have the chance to play against the likes of Benfica and Porto.

“I want as much playing time as they give me,” Parks said. “I want our team to get promoted if we can and make a run deep into the cup.”
    http://sportsday.dallasnews.com/soc...rent-route-tomake-professional-debut-portugal

Click the link and show your support for soccer coverage.

bsky22, vilafria, TxEx and 2 others repped this.
  12. Hitman

Hitman Member+

Mar 31, 1999
    damnit Dave, you don't know how much I love you for that line.

13. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    782610906064818177 is not a valid tweet id

14. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    That's true, but I'm happy that you're happy. Did you write the article?

15. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    According to zerozero was an unused Sub, but I like the first team call-ups.

16. Hitman

Hitman Member+

Mar 31, 1999
    No, but I am the co-editor of the blog (3rdDegree) that works with DMN. Arman wrote the article and writes for us. He was high school friends with Keaton.

Eighteen Alpha repped this.
  17. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    O Keaton got his first start in Varzim's 2 - 2 draw with Portimonense. He picked up a yellow (one of seven given out today) and was subbed out at 70' . For those that keep track of these sort of things (like me ;)) Portimonense, who are in first place, scored the second goal after he was off.

18. hokeydokey

hokeydokey Member

Oct 21, 2015
    Played as a right sided CM in the #8 role

19. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    As a native myself, I can say with some confidence that this one ain't in danger of losing his accent anytime soon.

I'm really happy with the way Varzim have brought this kid along and I am interested to see what his ceiling might be in the future. He will continue to occasionally play with the reserves this season but for the most part is now a first team player. At the moment, I think he is in a good situation and I am looking forward to a Varzim SC - Porto B clash (hopefully televised)*.

*23 November, if you were wondering.

20. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #20 BostonRed, Oct 26, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2016
    [​IMG]
    Starts again in what I believe is League Cup action:

The teams already warm. And the initial elevens are already known.
    These are the wolves of the sea holders on this date:

Paulo Cunha, Sandro (c), Keaton, Romário, Jean, Delmiro, Olímpio, Organista, Renna, Nélson Agra e Rui Coentrão (sc).

Wolves of the Sea Holders is the new name of my rec softball team.

21. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Taça da Liga: Varzim vence e garante primeira presença na fase de grupos

League Cup: Varzim wins and guarantees their first presence in the group phase

http://www.futebol365.pt/artigo/159...-garante-primeira-presenca-na-fase-de-grupos/

snip:

Os nortenhos foram aguentando a postura mais incisiva dos visitantes, mas só perto dos vinte minutos conseguiram esboçar uma resposta, numa boa jogada de Keaton e na qual Rui Coentrão forçou defesa atenta do guardião Rodolfo.

The northerners were putting forth a more incisive posture than the visitors but only close to the twenty minutes were they able to force the issue with a good play by Keaton in which Rui Coentrão forced an attentive stop by the GK Rodolfo.

22. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Jogador dos EUA é aposta de João Eusébio no Varzim

João Eusébio is betting on American at Varzim.

[​IMG]

http://www.radioondaviva.com/index....zim?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed

Keaton Parks foi a maior surpresa no 11 titular do Varzim nos mais recentes jogos da equipa principal. O jogador nascido nos EUA está na Póvoa há pouco mais de um ano e mereceu uma oportunidade do treinador João Eusébio. O médio destacou-se com boas exibições frente ao Portimonense e Viseu e espera continuar a merecer a confiança do técnico. Keaton Parks já aprendeu a falar português e no final do último jogo mostrou-se muito contente por estar a jogar e a ajudar um clube que diz gostar muito. João Eusébio confessou a preciar a qualidade e as caraterísticas do jovem norte-americano, um talento proveniente da equipa B que está a ser potencializado, tal como outros jogadores provenientes dessa formação secundária.

Keaton Parks was the greatest surprise in the starting 11 of Varzim in the latest games of the first team. The American born player has been in Póvoa for a little more than a year and earned a look from trainer João Eusébio. The midfielder stood out with good performances against Portimonense and Viseu and hopes to continue to earn the confidence of the manager. Keaton Parks has already learned Portuguese and at the end of the last game showed he was happy to be playing and helping his club which says a lot. João Eusébio confessed he valued the quality and characteristics of the young American, a talent being leveraged from the B team as other players have.

As declarações podem ser ouvidas na edição local.

The statements can be heard in the local edition.

http://www.radioondaviva.com/images/gerido/podcast/noticias/noticiario_2016_10_27_18h.mp3

Hobo, jnielsen, Gacm32 and 5 others repped this.
  23. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Seawolves lead 9th place Penafiel 0 -1 at the half. They seem to be playing much better since Keaton joined the first team.

Winoman repped this.
  25. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Varzim ended up losing 2-1, with both of Penafiel's goals coming after Parks was subbed out in the 64th minute.

Eighteen Alpha repped this.