Parks and recreation in Lisbon: Keaton at NYCFC (on loan from Benfica)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Sep 24, 2015.

1. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah he has to not lose the momentum he has built up. Right now he is looking good in Portugal, if he plays sparingly or not at all for the 2nd half of the season, no one will remember him in the summer.

justinpaul10 repped this.
  2. CDPontaDelgada

CDPontaDelgada Member+

CD Santa Clara
    Aug 15, 2012
    Ponta Delgada PT
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I think it's a good move considering his age and his rise has been pretty impressive

3. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What's the move? Do we even know where he's going to land?

4. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's (or she's) referring to his choice to go to Portugal in the first place. It remains to be seen. Depends on how this plays out or how they play their cards.

I think his agent is doing a good job of shaping perception publicly that his inactivity is not due to failure on Keaton's part by any means. Now hopefully more clubs join the bidding, and ones even bigger than Portimonense because the player himself rejected the deal there. Bar getting a sizable offer though, Varzim could just end up burning him and his agent in the end for not being submissive. That would be a shame. If they held him until after the deadline, I'd keep playing for Varzim whenever asked until the summer window opens up, and nix any vindictive deals after the transfer window they may ask him to accept. Learn from Bjorn's situation.

5. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ah, gotcha, thanks for clearing that up, Duke. I really appreciate your posts, BTW. Very informative.

thedukeofsoccer repped this.
  6. bballshawn

bballshawn Member+

Feb 5, 2014
    Delaware
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
  7. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    No. :(

8. bballshawn

bballshawn Member+

Feb 5, 2014
    Delaware
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Well it was fun while it lasted

wixson7 and GoingGoaling repped this.
  9. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    this is the type of ish that makes me roll my eyes when people automatically seem to think every player who isnt playing isnt good enough....often more politics involved in playing time than most think.

10. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    The news is he appears to be stuck at Varzim and, for the time being, is not making game day rosters. All I can say for sure is that Benfica made an offer and Varzim did not accept it. It is hard to say who is most at fault, the club or the manager. It seems, from a distance that Keaton is an innocent victim of a Portuguese pissing match. Here's to hoping that Keaton gets back on the squad and maybe gets another offer in the summer.

11. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now that the window closed they are going to sell him to some mobster-owned club in the Eastern Bloc, and if he doesn't sign off he will reside on the bench of a Portugese 2nd division club the duration of his contract, thus appearing a failure to others and stunting his development. In Portuguese football, this is what you'll get, when you mess with us.....

12. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
  13. PalmettoSpur

PalmettoSpur Member

Oct 21, 2015
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Midas Mulligan and Eighteen Alpha repped this.
  14. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sad news. I think he should just play out his contract and chuck it to experience. DO NOT GO TO THE EASTERN BLOCK>

PalmettoSpur, Winoman and Eighteen Alpha repped this.
  15. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bump. Any news on Keaton? @Eighteen Alpha? Guys over at Nats Abroad are saying he's with Portominense (sp?).

16. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Still at Varzim and still being punished with no roster call-ups. It's disgraceful.

Does Nats Abroad have a link?

17. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    I understand the confusion. I am confused as well. Transfermarkt, Sofascore, my own Forza app and other databases have him with Portimonense. Zerozero.pt, however, which is an impeccable source of data for players in the Portuguese leagues (as well as other leagues) say Varzim. Keaton's twitter account still says Varzim. I hope I am wrong and that Keaton does see the field - or at least the 18 - for Portão tomorrow but unless I am missing something huge, I fear he is still stuck at Varzim until the summer.

I threw the question out to some good sources and hopefully one will come back with a definitive answer. Unfortunately, the hopes and dreams of US fans are not always at the top of the priority list for fans and journos of the European teams.

@hokeydokey or @bshredder are probably better informed than I am, in any case.

TheFalseNine repped this.
  19. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Eighteen Alpha repped this.
  20. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Great find. Nice article. Kaci seems like a sweetheart. She just signed with Dallas Baptist Univesity on a full ride college scholarship. Easy to see it is a very close knit and athletic family.

21. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Yeah. Confirmed. KP is still at Varzim and still not playing. Take it to the bank.

GoingGoaling and TheFalseNine repped this.
  22. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    #222 Eighteen Alpha, Feb 17, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2017
    There may not be many left who care but I thought I would provide a brief update.

Keaton last played on the 21st of December. He last made the bench on the fourth of January (Pelaez last played on 18 December).

I have since confirmed, beyond doubt, that it is all on the Varzim president.

For those just tuning in, I will repeat that the Varzim President had made a deal (without consulting Keaton or his manager) to sell Keaton and Rui Costa to Portimonense in a joint deal. Keaton's manager refused the deal because he wasn't consulted and the kid was getting offers from clubs like Benfica (rumors of Ligue 1 interest as well). Armando Pelaez, who plays for Varzim B and shares Keaton's manager, is getting punished as well.

I would add one edit for those catching up. The Benfica deal was reported as done (and at 3 x the transfer fee as the Portão deal) and Keaton was being discussed as the new transfer in Benfica forums as recently as 10 days ago. Additionally, sites like transfermarkt for a while had him variously at Benfica and Portimonense. So a lot of confusion for about a month. I note this because not only was the President's action underhanded, it was also opaque.

23. PalmettoSpur

PalmettoSpur Member

Oct 21, 2015
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    I have absolutely no reason to doubt you, but this makes no sense.

One of your best players wants to stay and play for your team, while simultaneously driving up his value, but you choose to completely ostracize him, hurt your team, and drive down his value?

wat.

24. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Take a gander at the Varzim Facebook timeline, and you will find that the fans are in unanimous agreement with you.

Gacm32 repped this.
  25. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    How long is his contract?